Used 2005 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 BMW X5 SUV

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Lost in translation
By rem

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

It may have been a great car. It may have been a great truck. But it's neither. Very comfortable and decent performer with nice interior. Nevertheless, a very busy exterior, awfully heavy doors (watch your fingers), lousy electronics, bad rear visibility, gargantuan gas appetite, tremendous wind noise with open roof, unreadable computer display in most daylight and huge turning radius. Main forte - desirable name tag. Living up to the promised ultimateness - in chris bangle's next life. We are walking away from it for. Thanks, munich, this was our last present to you.

Favorite Features

interior

Suggested Improvements

300 characters not enough, but start with the gas consumption thorough exterior, weight, electronics, built quality and look up date - it's almost 2008! world is changing - cover new grounds.

New to me X5
By steveo

2005 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned a couple BMWs before (both M3's)... and have always loved the X5 design. We drove the Volvo XC90 and was pretty close to buying one. After driving the X5, I didnt even have to think again about it. It's still a little pricey for 2 years old... but I think I like this car just as much as my 2003 M3. Crazy.

Favorite Features

Gearing is excellent. Sport suspension is excellent.

4.8is
By mike

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.8is AWD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I've owned a 4.4 prior to the 4.8is. The the difference is fun. Knowing you have muscle under the hood is exhilarating. Handling is superb.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth tech, hands free radio.

Suggested Improvements

Touch screen navigation, cd instead of cassette behind navigation screen.

Very pleased
By jamaica man

2005 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The X5 has met all expectations. Even gas mileage - I average 21 mpg combined city/hwy. Comfortable, safe, and cool looking. Plenty of power with the 3.0. The free maintenance is great. No charge for the first 50K miles.

Favorite Features

Seat adjustments, lumbar support, steering wheel adjustments

Suggested Improvements

Doors and tailgate lock when driver's door is closed - inconvenient for loading and unloading. Light needed on A/C dash control.

Its outta here!
By Greg Kurk

2005 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Had a 2001 Acura MDX prior to this BMW X5, loved the MDX but it was approaching 100,000 miles. Didn't want to wait for redesigned MDX, bought the X5, only good thing I can say is it has a sporty handling with zip. Other than this I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the vehicle. It is poorly built and in the 16 months owned has been into the shop 3X for electrical problem that they can't seem to find what is causing vehicle to go dead. I would never buy another BMW, and when this one gets out of the shop in next day or so, will look to get rid of. Probably go back to MDX, as my son has my old one, 125,000 miles and running while my BMW is broke down with 26,000 miles

Favorite Features

Sport car handling.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical system, overall quality of vehicle. Very plastic .