Used 2005 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Most Helpful|
Gotta love it
By bimmer girl

2005 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Our car now has 90,000 miles on it, and I still smile every time I drive it. It is so responsive, and tight around the corners, that I often forget that I'm in a huge SUV. I was almost ran off the road one day with my 2 kids in the back, and I fought to keep the vehicle on the road, but the BMW handled so well, that we got back on track and on our way. I truly believe that in any other SUV we would have tipped and crashed. People keep mentioning gas mileage, but they forget they bought a performance car! Indy cars and jet planes don't get great mileage either! I think it's pretty good- we average about 22 and got 28 on a long highway trip!

Favorite Features

Sunroof, comfort, just fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The soft plastic handles peel.

BE CAREFUL WHEN BUYING A USED X5
By jas74

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

These SUV's are great when purchased new, but when the sellers and owners don't have the correct maintenance performed. It could be a nightmare for the future owners. My story goes like this. Found a used 2005 X5 4.4i from a local BMW dealer. Purchased it and within a month bad transfer case 3,000 dollars, oil leaks along with brake lines 800 dollars. Remember only "ONE" month later! To say the least after working with the dealer, they bought it back! Afterall they gave it a clean bill of health before I drove it off the lot. Moral of this story.. IF you buy one of these, make sure you have it COMPLETELY checked over by a BMW mechianic you trust. Otherwise Walk way !

Lost in translation
By rem

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

It may have been a great car. It may have been a great truck. But it's neither. Very comfortable and decent performer with nice interior. Nevertheless, a very busy exterior, awfully heavy doors (watch your fingers), lousy electronics, bad rear visibility, gargantuan gas appetite, tremendous wind noise with open roof, unreadable computer display in most daylight and huge turning radius. Main forte - desirable name tag. Living up to the promised ultimateness - in chris bangle's next life. We are walking away from it for. Thanks, munich, this was our last present to you.

Favorite Features

interior

Suggested Improvements

300 characters not enough, but start with the gas consumption thorough exterior, weight, electronics, built quality and look up date - it's almost 2008! world is changing - cover new grounds.

BMW Quality FAIL
By chief770

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my X5 a few years back. I've been a loyal BMW owner since my first 2002 I bought back in the late 70s. I have had pretty good luck through the years until I bought this thing. My transmission went out at 75K, the tail light housing needs replacing so the lights don't continue to go out (not burn out, just not seating properly), the oil changes produce parts of a know flaw in the oil pump non-return valve ($2500 fix) and numerous issues with the mirrors, window washer motor, etc. Honestly, this is my last BMW as I no longer feel confident in their product. Lexus, here I come..........

Favorite Features

Has the potential of being a great SUV as the interior room is great.

Suggested Improvements

Stop producing products in Mexico and bring back BWM's famed quality control.

A tank with style and performance.
By goosey3

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have a 2005 3.0d Sport which has covered 88k miles. It is fully loaded and built like a tank and yet performs like a sports saloon. One would have to look hard to find another 2-ton SUV that can achieve the 0-60 sprint in less than 8 seconds.

Favorite Features

Slick auto box. Descent control. Road holding. Heated seats. Rain-sense wipers.

Suggested Improvements

Softer seats and suspension.