Used 2005 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Bmw X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Disappointed in BMW
By Don't buy one.

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We were very excited to buy the X5, it had stellar safety ratings and was fun to drive. The problems started shortly after we bought it. First the lights didn't work right. Then the AC had problems. We had to replace several window motors. I got to be on a first-name basis with my service rep, as we have been in the shop almost every other month since we bought it. The quality of the materials in the vehicle was poor as well, the door handles are cheap plastic. All in all, not a very pleasant experience with what we thought was a quality German brand.

Favorite Features

Nice styling, seats are comfortable and the sound system is great.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the cheap plastic in the interior.

Great SUV
By tom

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is my first BMW X5 that we purchased and we absolutely love this car. The handling of the car on the road is just pure fun. The car sticks to the road like clue. Beautiful interior design and the seats are very comfortable. The interior is much better then the MDX we drove before this X5. Fuel economy is not great, but then its an SUV and not a hybrid. If your looking for a ride with some zip and fun, the X5 fits the bill thats for sure. I absolutely love this car!

Favorite Features

Full sunroof, tons of power, very comfy interior, the way the car handles on the road, makes me smile every time.

Suggested Improvements

If anything, I would recommend better fuel economy.

Might Move In To My X5
By Eric

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The X5 has been outstanding. I've got the sports pkg and performance pkg. The 4.4 engine is a must for this heavy, solid vehicle. Not only is it powerful, but it sounds great. I was looking for an SUV that acts like a sports car and this is it! My wife calls it a motorcycle on 4 wheels because of its performance (I ride sport bikes). I've only owned it for a few weeks and I just drive it around for no reason because it is so fun. I average around 17 mpg driving it hard. It actually gets the same gas mileage as my previous SUV that only had a 3.5L V6. This is my first BMW and I am hooked.

Favorite Features

Performance, handling, comfort, looks, engine sound. Oh yeah, I am 6'3" so I really like the thigh support in the sport seats.

Suggested Improvements

Weak stereo system and near impossible after-market audio integration. Still not used to the console layout for things like cell phones, wallet, etc.

Very Bad BMW
By Adam

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

From day one this vehicle was a major disapointment. Spent almost 60K on vehicle that went through brakes every 3000 miles after the first service. Was in dealership almost every 2-3 weeks. Very noisy and very poor in snow. Most dissapointing was dealer response. Said I must be driving with two feet. Have two other 5 series with a total of 100,000 miles on them and no brake problems. Dealer has refused to honor warranty after only 24,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Power

Suggested Improvements

Too many to list.

Fun finicky car
By scrosby

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Kids got older and wanted a luxury smaller SUV for me. The X5 fit the bill perfectly. It is a sexy, fun, powerful vehicle with plenty of room without feeling like a truck posing as a SUV. BMW thought of everything with this vehicle with a few exceptions. The CD is in the back, therefore I never use it.The tires wear awful! Can not be rotated. Had transmission issues since day 1, and just had replaced by BMW. It would not engage upon takeoff at times and would feel as if you had been rear-ended when it engaged. No problems since. Would not be particularly comfortable for four adult size people. My teenagers get nauseated riding in the backseat.Otherwise I LOVE my X5, would recommend!

Favorite Features

Upgraded adjustable seats are a must, navigation, awesome power, sensors are great, plenty of cargo room, plenty of clearance, smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Put CD in front, casette player a waste, fix tire wearing problem