2005 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Best over the road SUV ever
By DAVID WHITNEY on 04/13/09 13:38 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X5 4.8is AWD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned the previous generation of this M-group or Alpina engineered (I have heard both cited by sources that might know!) truck (the 4.6is) and a 2004 4.4i and have driven all of the competing SUV's, and only the 4.6 comes close to this as a sporty driver on the road. All the other brands of wannabes suffer from excessive truckishness; even the Porsche has obvious huge unsprung weight that compromises its on road handling. The lesser bimmers, including new generation vehicles, are simply outclassed in terms of braking, handling, power delivery and ESPECIALLY steering--the engine speed sensitive system feels like a truck, the vehicle-speed sensitive system on the 4.8 like a real BMW!

Best over the road SUV
By David WHITNEY on 11/04/08 18:54 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X5 4.8is AWD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I have test driven all the major players in the sport SUV category and this remains the best for those that do not plan to drive off road. DO NOT confuse this vehicle with the much more pedestrian 3.0, 4.4 or current 4.8. This is the "M" of the SUV line and the steering, suspension and brakes were all seriously massaged by either the M group or Alpina to make this vehicle handle and drive like no other truck to date. The Porsche is impressive, but huge unsprung weight assures that it will never have the nimble, car-like feel of this vehicle.

Disappointed
By luckymom on 09/18/08 16:28 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this SUV almost 3 years ago and already have had problems!! It needed a new transmission at 54,000 miles and just recently had 2 sensors go out that cost $1,000 to repair. I really had hoped to keep this car for many years, but now don't want to take my chances with any more repair bills. Love my car, but not that much. I prefer reliability over repair bills!

Disappointed in BMW
By Don't buy one. on 09/03/08 15:49 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We were very excited to buy the X5, it had stellar safety ratings and was fun to drive. The problems started shortly after we bought it. First the lights didn't work right. Then the AC had problems. We had to replace several window motors. I got to be on a first-name basis with my service rep, as we have been in the shop almost every other month since we bought it. The quality of the materials in the vehicle was poor as well, the door handles are cheap plastic. All in all, not a very pleasant experience with what we thought was a quality German brand.

Great SUV
By tom on 05/10/08 20:09 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is my first BMW X5 that we purchased and we absolutely love this car. The handling of the car on the road is just pure fun. The car sticks to the road like clue. Beautiful interior design and the seats are very comfortable. The interior is much better then the MDX we drove before this X5. Fuel economy is not great, but then its an SUV and not a hybrid. If your looking for a ride with some zip and fun, the X5 fits the bill thats for sure. I absolutely love this car!

Might Move In To My X5
By Eric on 03/31/08 16:48 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The X5 has been outstanding. I've got the sports pkg and performance pkg. The 4.4 engine is a must for this heavy, solid vehicle. Not only is it powerful, but it sounds great. I was looking for an SUV that acts like a sports car and this is it! My wife calls it a motorcycle on 4 wheels because of its performance (I ride sport bikes). I've only owned it for a few weeks and I just drive it around for no reason because it is so fun. I average around 17 mpg driving it hard. It actually gets the same gas mileage as my previous SUV that only had a 3.5L V6. This is my first BMW and I am hooked.

Very Bad BMW
By Adam on 12/20/07 13:55 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

From day one this vehicle was a major disapointment. Spent almost 60K on vehicle that went through brakes every 3000 miles after the first service. Was in dealership almost every 2-3 weeks. Very noisy and very poor in snow. Most dissapointing was dealer response. Said I must be driving with two feet. Have two other 5 series with a total of 100,000 miles on them and no brake problems. Dealer has refused to honor warranty after only 24,000 miles.

Fun finicky car
By scrosby on 12/09/07 17:31 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Kids got older and wanted a luxury smaller SUV for me. The X5 fit the bill perfectly. It is a sexy, fun, powerful vehicle with plenty of room without feeling like a truck posing as a SUV. BMW thought of everything with this vehicle with a few exceptions. The CD is in the back, therefore I never use it.The tires wear awful! Can not be rotated. Had transmission issues since day 1, and just had replaced by BMW. It would not engage upon takeoff at times and would feel as if you had been rear-ended when it engaged. No problems since. Would not be particularly comfortable for four adult size people. My teenagers get nauseated riding in the backseat.Otherwise I LOVE my X5, would recommend!

Lost in translation
By rem on 12/06/07 01:52 AM (PST)

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

It may have been a great car. It may have been a great truck. But it's neither. Very comfortable and decent performer with nice interior. Nevertheless, a very busy exterior, awfully heavy doors (watch your fingers), lousy electronics, bad rear visibility, gargantuan gas appetite, tremendous wind noise with open roof, unreadable computer display in most daylight and huge turning radius. Main forte - desirable name tag. Living up to the promised ultimateness - in chris bangle's next life. We are walking away from it for. Thanks, munich, this was our last present to you.

New to me X5
By steveo on 02/14/07 07:39 AM (PST)

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned a couple BMWs before (both M3's)... and have always loved the X5 design. We drove the Volvo XC90 and was pretty close to buying one. After driving the X5, I didnt even have to think again about it. It's still a little pricey for 2 years old... but I think I like this car just as much as my 2003 M3. Crazy.