Used 2005 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 BMW X5

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

lemon x5 4.8is
By ak

2005 BMW X5 4.8is AWD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

This is my third BMW and I would not go for BMW again. Sometime the back door locks won't open and we cannot open the back door from inside or outside. Kids can be trap inside the car unless they climb to the front seat. The steering wheel get stiff from time to time. Self leveling light is always on. In the winter the lock freeze easily thus impossible to open or close. The motor rattles too much on a cold days. I went to the dealers many times and they have no clue what is going on. The computer cant pick anything up. This is a 80 k truck and it made like crap. I certainly wouldn't try another BMW again. All German car don't seem to know how to design electronic properly.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, inside and outside design. The drive when it is working properly. Which is only 75% of the time.

Suggested Improvements

FIX the problem and acknowledge the electronic faulty system. Fire all engineers that design the electronic system and revamp the whole BMW concept. I have had 3 BMW and all of them has electronic issues.

I Will Never Buy Another BMW
By wantmyfordback

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought mine Certified Pre-Owned which I've come to find out means nothing. I had always dreamed of a luxury car and was thrilled to drive off the lot with it. Since then I have been so disappointed. Constant problems with the Nav, warning lights coming on, lighter fuse busting, Blutooth issues and worst of all -when I accidentally locked my keys in the car w/ my dog inside, BMW Roadside Assistance told me that it was "highly unlikely" that the locksmith could open it (this happens a lot they said) and that I would have to wait 48 hrs for a key to be made or just break the window. Well, oviously, had to break the window. It was $900 to fix. I'm over BMW. P.S. Replacement keys are $225.

Favorite Features

car hugs the road, feels substantial, heated seats are so great!

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage, computer system is way glitchy, Roadside Assistance program is really kind of half-assed, needs a fail-safe way to get in if you accidentally get locked out other than breaking a window (!?!), service costs should be reduced, needs lock buttons on doors, interior design is a bit odd

Never Again
By Infiniti G

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Creature comforts are very nice and fun to drive but horribly unreliable. At 42,000 miles started to sound like a diesel, alternator bearings bad and then completely failed. Cheap oem crimp style hose clamp on transmission recovery bottle failed which is also positioned directly above alternator.Dealer service technicians incorrectly diagnosed as having a bad high pressure power steering hose.Found out they wanted 1500 for repair and I towed it back home to fix myself for $150.Eats break pads and rotors for lunch,repl'd with better aftermarket.Brake pad sensor is poor design and you must replace sensor at pad change or your brake pad warning light will stay illuminated.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable and fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Engine quality and craftsmanship is horrible, especially compared to my Infiniti.

This is the best- handling SUV
By RAW

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Still driving this 2005 in 2010, and intend on keeping it. This is the best- handling SUV - perfect size, balance, pick-up. I like it better than the 2006 model, which is wider and feels less nimble. If the seats are too hard for you, buy a Buick. They are just right for a sporty drive. And personally, I love the sound and feel of the heavy 'clunk' of the doors. Heavy they are, safe they are, also. Yet the X5 4.4i never makes you think you're driving a tank (hello Range Rover!). I've never driven any other SUV that had the handling characteristic of this X5. BMW got that one just right.

Favorite Features

Power reserve, you can always kick it up a notch and zip past a slow poke if necessary. Solid drive feel, great seats, ample room (6'3), panorama sunroof, flat folding rear seats, adaptive headlights, great build quality & interior fit & finish. Still tight after 5 years. Bluetooth phone.

Suggested Improvements

iPod adapter can't be integrated into onboard stereo (can't control iPod through steering wheel controls).

Gotta love it
By bimmer girl

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Our car now has 90,000 miles on it, and I still smile every time I drive it. It is so responsive, and tight around the corners, that I often forget that I'm in a huge SUV. I was almost ran off the road one day with my 2 kids in the back, and I fought to keep the vehicle on the road, but the BMW handled so well, that we got back on track and on our way. I truly believe that in any other SUV we would have tipped and crashed. People keep mentioning gas mileage, but they forget they bought a performance car! Indy cars and jet planes don't get great mileage either! I think it's pretty good- we average about 22 and got 28 on a long highway trip!

Favorite Features

Sunroof, comfort, just fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The soft plastic handles peel.