Used 2005 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Ultimate Driving SUV
By birdman

2005 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned 4 Jeep Cherokees in my life and have really enjoyed the layout and size. But Jeep service dept. and reliability is very bad. The X5 is the next step up. Very similar size, and layout inside, so I felt comfortable right away in the new BMW. The jump from a Cherokee to an X5 is like going from Coach to first class. It's not just a little nicer, it's a whole different world. The car feels like luxury, and drives like a sports car. I'm looking forward to puting it to work in the snow this season. The weight and stability of this SUV is impressive, unlike any other I've tried. The only downside so far is the towing cabability is weak.

Styling is unbeatable in a mid-size SUV. I have the sport package, which is really nice. The handling is incredible. Like a sports car.

Wish the back seats folded flat. They have about a 10 degree incline when laid down. A standar RCA auxilery input for MP3 players would be nice in the future.

A real SAV
By R Short

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.8is AWD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

After driving a SUV for 15 years it was a true experience to purchase the X5. The ride is supperb, the gas mileage is acceptable, the handling is outstanding, and from this past winter the control in ice and snow is unbelievable. I tried to put this X5 into a spin or slide and could not make the vehicle loose any control. What a pleasure.

The seats are extremely confortable for long trips. Instruments are easy to find and simple to use.

Storage for the driver is limited due to the sun roof motor, adding small amount of driver storage would be benefit.

MY THIRD X-5
By Ron Johnson

2005 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my third X-5. I just could not justify buiying any other kind of vehicle. It is comfortable, conservative and performs well in all weather. It provides class without being opulent. BMW's refined I-6 represents a combination of smoothness, performance and durability. I get as high as 25 MPG on the highway. Sirius Radio is excellent as is Bluetooth and navigation system. Even after being on the market for six years, the model still gets looks. I find cargo space adequate for my use. Seats are best in class. Don't look just at specs...this car is a "driver." If you spend a day with the X-5, you will fall in love. It becomes like a comfortable shoe. You never want to get out of it.

Bluetooth. It keeps my attention on the road. And, Sirius Radio. It gives the driver literally hundreds of options. Vehicle safety features should not be ignored. Bluetooth may be the best safety feature offered in a vehicle today. I get a secure feeling in this vehicle.

Maybe a larger information display. But, for me, this is a fairly perfect vehicle. I can't imagine anything it really needs. More power is always nice, and it is readily available, if one is willing to pay for one of the optional V-8's. This car had many options avaialble. I got everything I wanted.

My X5 exceeded my expectations!
By Lori

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I love my X5! It is a great truck to drive! It has the ability of a truck with great power and capacity; but it has the comfort of a car. The engine is quiet, but it has get-up-and-go! Fuel econmy isn't the greatest, but not bad for a truck! I love that I can listen to cds... but cassettes sound just as good with the stereo system! I'm amazed by the X5!

I love it all, but the little extra I think is great is being able to pop the mirrors in at the touch of a button!

The driver's door doesn't lock when you manually lock the doors w/ the driver's door open. I have to lock it with the key if I don't use the beeper. Also, it could use an arm rest at the right of the driver.

Satisfied BMW Owner
By cwc4

2005 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Attracted by appearance and reputation of quality. Owned several Ford Exployers. We are completely satisfied with ride and appearance. No maintenance problems. 36K miles and still rides smooth and solid.

Safty features. Interior design. Easy to understand and use instrument panel.

Better design for pocket change and coffee cup holder.