Used 2005 BMW X5 3.0i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

It's a BMW
By benzboyz

2005 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought my BMW X5 3.0i SAV in Feb 2010 with approximately 70k miles...current mileage 150k. I have always thought that BMW hit it out of the park in the looks department when they designed the X5; still do. I travel a lot for work and the X5 gives me confidence that I can handle any road conditions and is a comfortable highway cruiser. While I don't regret my decision to purchase BMW's flagship SAV, a potential buyer needs to remember that this vehicle is $50k new and is engineered to high performance/handling specs. As a result of both of the attributes, ongoing maintenance is going to be more frequent and expensive than most run of the mill SUVs.

Favorite Features

It's a BMW....looks, suspension, front seat comfort, highway performance, full size spare, panoramic sunroof, engine oil life monitor, original battery lasted 7 years, and build quality (the doors weigh a ton and close with a solid thud). The little things, such as the removable front/rear tow hooks.

Suggested Improvements

None of the maintenance has been too bad, with most being preventative and replacement of many original front suspension parts. Takes a little getting used to having to replace both the brakes and rotors anytime either one fails, but I guess that's why it stops on a dime. To biggest issues: the air intake tube is poorly designed as can cause a high pitch squeak during low speed acceleration. If you live in a cold climate, get the oil separator/CCV replaced prior to 100k. Mine last until 150k, but left me stranded in Fargo, ND - refer to TSB 11 08 03.

Worst vehicle I've ever owned
By wbere

2005 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Daughter wanted this because she liked the styling. I should have known better but relented. Bought a 2005 X5 with 48,000 miles on it in summer of 2009 from the only dealership here (Autobahn Motors - in Fort Worth). One of worst buying experiences and service departments ever, but that's a separate rant. One owner. Looked well taken care of. Records okay. Since then it's been in and out of the shop. About 7 weeks ago, the low coolant light came on, so we took it to dealer, they checked it, and said it as a busted radiator cap. Fixed that and thought we were okay until light came on suddenly and SUV stopped running the other day. Now Dallas dealership said it was a cracked reservoir. $$$$$

Never Again
By Infiniti G

2005 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Creature comforts are very nice and fun to drive but horribly unreliable. At 42,000 miles started to sound like a diesel, alternator bearings bad and then completely failed. Cheap oem crimp style hose clamp on transmission recovery bottle failed which is also positioned directly above alternator.Dealer service technicians incorrectly diagnosed as having a bad high pressure power steering hose.Found out they wanted 1500 for repair and I towed it back home to fix myself for $150.Eats break pads and rotors for lunch,repl'd with better aftermarket.Brake pad sensor is poor design and you must replace sensor at pad change or your brake pad warning light will stay illuminated.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable and fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Engine quality and craftsmanship is horrible, especially compared to my Infiniti.

Gotta love it
By bimmer girl

2005 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Our car now has 90,000 miles on it, and I still smile every time I drive it. It is so responsive, and tight around the corners, that I often forget that I'm in a huge SUV. I was almost ran off the road one day with my 2 kids in the back, and I fought to keep the vehicle on the road, but the BMW handled so well, that we got back on track and on our way. I truly believe that in any other SUV we would have tipped and crashed. People keep mentioning gas mileage, but they forget they bought a performance car! Indy cars and jet planes don't get great mileage either! I think it's pretty good- we average about 22 and got 28 on a long highway trip!

Favorite Features

Sunroof, comfort, just fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The soft plastic handles peel.

Great Car
By goodx5

2005 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We purchased this new in 2005 and have 110,000 miles on it now. Was in the shop a few times right after we bought it, but it hasn't been back (other than scheduled maintenance) since. The car is incredibly reliable and is as solid as a rock. You can tell the build quality and safety by the weight of the doors. Great heated seats, panorama sunroof, and comfort. Holds up to wear and tear very well driving around three busy sons. Definitely would buy another.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, heated seats/steering wheel, leather, pick- up.

Suggested Improvements

Sun glare on radio display.