Used 2005 BMW X5 4.4i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

A tank with style and performance.
By goosey3

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have a 2005 3.0d Sport which has covered 88k miles. It is fully loaded and built like a tank and yet performs like a sports saloon. One would have to look hard to find another 2-ton SUV that can achieve the 0-60 sprint in less than 8 seconds.

Slick auto box. Descent control. Road holding. Heated seats. Rain-sense wipers.

Softer seats and suspension.

first class Lemon
By rudi4you

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I was completely disappointed from BMW's X5! I bought this car with a high expectation and found me in a never ending repair loop. - if the engine was idle - smoking, smoking after you throttle up again - oil leaking - estimate around $4500 - HVAC quit working - estimate $2500 - tires, tires, tires ... - light bulbs never ending story - I changed by myself and spend in bulbs only almost $300 - windshield washer pumps - passengers door handle - estimate $450 and, and, and But nice was the comfort and the handling.

handling, comfort, space, loading

engine and alignment

BMW Quality FAIL
By chief770

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my X5 a few years back. I've been a loyal BMW owner since my first 2002 I bought back in the late 70s. I have had pretty good luck through the years until I bought this thing. My transmission went out at 75K, the tail light housing needs replacing so the lights don't continue to go out (not burn out, just not seating properly), the oil changes produce parts of a know flaw in the oil pump non-return valve ($2500 fix) and numerous issues with the mirrors, window washer motor, etc. Honestly, this is my last BMW as I no longer feel confident in their product. Lexus, here I come..........

Has the potential of being a great SUV as the interior room is great.

Stop producing products in Mexico and bring back BWM's famed quality control.

Great vehicle...when it's not in the service department
By toelldus

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased a one-owner X5 with just over 100,000 miles just three weeks ago. The first day with the car went well; however, the second did not. Accelerating after a rolling stop produced a lag followed by a violent jolt. Result=transmission needed to be replaced (do NOT fall for the "computer software update" run around, it will not fix anything.) Additionally, the X5 coated my garage floor with a 1 ft. in diameter oil puddle (caused by yet another mechanical issue). The dealer bought the vehicle back from me, while still maintaining it had NO mechanical issues. I'll be replacing it with an H3-same cost to fuel 18mpg vs. "22mpg", more reliable and much cheaper to maintain.

BE CAREFUL WHEN BUYING A USED X5
By jas74

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

These SUV's are great when purchased new, but when the sellers and owners don't have the correct maintenance performed. It could be a nightmare for the future owners. My story goes like this. Found a used 2005 X5 4.4i from a local BMW dealer. Purchased it and within a month bad transfer case 3,000 dollars, oil leaks along with brake lines 800 dollars. Remember only "ONE" month later! To say the least after working with the dealer, they bought it back! Afterall they gave it a clean bill of health before I drove it off the lot. Moral of this story.. IF you buy one of these, make sure you have it COMPLETELY checked over by a BMW mechianic you trust. Otherwise Walk way !