Used 2005 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Bmw X5 - Consumer Reviews

2005 BMW X5 SUV

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

A tank with style and performance.
By goosey3

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have a 2005 3.0d Sport which has covered 88k miles. It is fully loaded and built like a tank and yet performs like a sports saloon. One would have to look hard to find another 2-ton SUV that can achieve the 0-60 sprint in less than 8 seconds.

Favorite Features

Slick auto box. Descent control. Road holding. Heated seats. Rain-sense wipers.

Suggested Improvements

Softer seats and suspension.

first class Lemon
By rudi4you

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I was completely disappointed from BMW's X5! I bought this car with a high expectation and found me in a never ending repair loop. - if the engine was idle - smoking, smoking after you throttle up again - oil leaking - estimate around $4500 - HVAC quit working - estimate $2500 - tires, tires, tires ... - light bulbs never ending story - I changed by myself and spend in bulbs only almost $300 - windshield washer pumps - passengers door handle - estimate $450 and, and, and But nice was the comfort and the handling.

Favorite Features

handling, comfort, space, loading

Suggested Improvements

engine and alignment

BMW Quality FAIL
By chief770

2005 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my X5 a few years back. I've been a loyal BMW owner since my first 2002 I bought back in the late 70s. I have had pretty good luck through the years until I bought this thing. My transmission went out at 75K, the tail light housing needs replacing so the lights don't continue to go out (not burn out, just not seating properly), the oil changes produce parts of a know flaw in the oil pump non-return valve ($2500 fix) and numerous issues with the mirrors, window washer motor, etc. Honestly, this is my last BMW as I no longer feel confident in their product. Lexus, here I come..........

Favorite Features

Has the potential of being a great SUV as the interior room is great.

Suggested Improvements

Stop producing products in Mexico and bring back BWM's famed quality control.

It's a BMW
By benzboyz

2005 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought my BMW X5 3.0i SAV in Feb 2010 with approximately 70k miles...current mileage 150k. I have always thought that BMW hit it out of the park in the looks department when they designed the X5; still do. I travel a lot for work and the X5 gives me confidence that I can handle any road conditions and is a comfortable highway cruiser. While I don't regret my decision to purchase BMW's flagship SAV, a potential buyer needs to remember that this vehicle is $50k new and is engineered to high performance/handling specs. As a result of both of the attributes, ongoing maintenance is going to be more frequent and expensive than most run of the mill SUVs.

Favorite Features

It's a BMW....looks, suspension, front seat comfort, highway performance, full size spare, panoramic sunroof, engine oil life monitor, original battery lasted 7 years, and build quality (the doors weigh a ton and close with a solid thud). The little things, such as the removable front/rear tow hooks.

Suggested Improvements

None of the maintenance has been too bad, with most being preventative and replacement of many original front suspension parts. Takes a little getting used to having to replace both the brakes and rotors anytime either one fails, but I guess that's why it stops on a dime. To biggest issues: the air intake tube is poorly designed as can cause a high pitch squeak during low speed acceleration. If you live in a cold climate, get the oil separator/CCV replaced prior to 100k. Mine last until 150k, but left me stranded in Fargo, ND - refer to TSB 11 08 03.

Worst vehicle I've ever owned
By wbere

2005 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Daughter wanted this because she liked the styling. I should have known better but relented. Bought a 2005 X5 with 48,000 miles on it in summer of 2009 from the only dealership here (Autobahn Motors - in Fort Worth). One of worst buying experiences and service departments ever, but that's a separate rant. One owner. Looked well taken care of. Records okay. Since then it's been in and out of the shop. About 7 weeks ago, the low coolant light came on, so we took it to dealer, they checked it, and said it as a busted radiator cap. Fixed that and thought we were okay until light came on suddenly and SUV stopped running the other day. Now Dallas dealership said it was a cracked reservoir. $$$$$