2005 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
BMW Quality FAIL
By chief770 on 11/13/13 20:00 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my X5 a few years back. I've been a loyal BMW owner since my first 2002 I bought back in the late 70s. I have had pretty good luck through the years until I bought this thing. My transmission went out at 75K, the tail light housing needs replacing so the lights don't continue to go out (not burn out, just not seating properly), the oil changes produce parts of a know flaw in the oil pump non-return valve ($2500 fix) and numerous issues with the mirrors, window washer motor, etc. Honestly, this is my last BMW as I no longer feel confident in their product. Lexus, here I come..........

Great vehicle...when it's not in the service department
By toelldus on 04/22/12 22:42 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased a one-owner X5 with just over 100,000 miles just three weeks ago. The first day with the car went well; however, the second did not. Accelerating after a rolling stop produced a lag followed by a violent jolt. Result=transmission needed to be replaced (do NOT fall for the "computer software update" run around, it will not fix anything.) Additionally, the X5 coated my garage floor with a 1 ft. in diameter oil puddle (caused by yet another mechanical issue). The dealer bought the vehicle back from me, while still maintaining it had NO mechanical issues. I'll be replacing it with an H3-same cost to fuel 18mpg vs. "22mpg", more reliable and much cheaper to maintain.

BE CAREFUL WHEN BUYING A USED X5
By jas74 on 01/21/12 19:48 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

These SUV's are great when purchased new, but when the sellers and owners don't have the correct maintenance performed. It could be a nightmare for the future owners. My story goes like this. Found a used 2005 X5 4.4i from a local BMW dealer. Purchased it and within a month bad transfer case 3,000 dollars, oil leaks along with brake lines 800 dollars. Remember only "ONE" month later! To say the least after working with the dealer, they bought it back! Afterall they gave it a clean bill of health before I drove it off the lot. Moral of this story.. IF you buy one of these, make sure you have it COMPLETELY checked over by a BMW mechianic you trust. Otherwise Walk way !

VERY DISAPPOINTED
By toughguy30 on 01/18/12 18:46 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Ok I just bought my SUV used from BMW with 53K miles on it. I bought the extended warranty. Its a week and already needs brake, tire pressure keeps coming on, the brake lights on, there are 2 hoses that need to be replaced, the washer fluid is leaking, the bushings need to be replaced and the rear windshield wiper needs to be replaced (not working). The repairs at BMW are over $2500. I went back to the dealer and they said its not covered under the 90 NYS warranty and the extended warranty doesn't kick in for 30 days or 1,000 miles which ever comes first. I had 2 Acura's and a Saab and never had these kind of issues. It seems at 50K miles these cars are a nightmare. Made a huge mistake!!

My LAST BMW
By mark635 on 06/24/11 20:45 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Which is unfortunate, since this is the 6th BMW I've owned...now my last. Purchased this X5 Certified Pre-Owned which basically amounts to at least being able to drive around in a newer model BMW just about every month for the NUMEROUS times I had my X5 in the shop...literally a week after purchase it was in service (bought from an authorized BMW dealer...not that that means anything nowadays). So far replaced--transmission, alternator, rear lights, roof trim, electronic dash, panorama sunroof fixed (not replaced), xenon headlamp. The worst part is that it takes THREE visits for every one issue...never done right the first time. Oh...and BMW charges $50 a pop for CPO repairs.

Total LEMON, will never buy BMW again
By purdue_flunkie on 12/17/10 12:16 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Spent more time in the shop than on the road. Very cheaply made, tons of Chinese plastic. Engine misfires, coolant leaks, vacuum leaks, broken sunroof, door handles, door windows, and even cup holders broke… just to name a few issues during the 4th and 5th year of ownership. BEWARE repairs and parts are extremely overpriced and time consuming. Other than reliability and dependability, powertrain performs very well and acceleration is impressive considering the car’s weight. However Xdrive sucks, yes it can pull you out of a deep snow, but when it comes to cornering on a wet and/or icy surfaces it performs much worse than FWD vehicles. Summary: fun to drive while new, falls apart after 50k

I Will Never Buy Another BMW
By wantmyfordback on 04/27/10 21:13 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought mine Certified Pre-Owned which I've come to find out means nothing. I had always dreamed of a luxury car and was thrilled to drive off the lot with it. Since then I have been so disappointed. Constant problems with the Nav, warning lights coming on, lighter fuse busting, Blutooth issues and worst of all -when I accidentally locked my keys in the car w/ my dog inside, BMW Roadside Assistance told me that it was "highly unlikely" that the locksmith could open it (this happens a lot they said) and that I would have to wait 48 hrs for a key to be made or just break the window. Well, oviously, had to break the window. It was $900 to fix. I'm over BMW. P.S. Replacement keys are $225.

This is the best- handling SUV
By RAW on 01/06/10 22:43 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Still driving this 2005 in 2010, and intend on keeping it. This is the best- handling SUV - perfect size, balance, pick-up. I like it better than the 2006 model, which is wider and feels less nimble. If the seats are too hard for you, buy a Buick. They are just right for a sporty drive. And personally, I love the sound and feel of the heavy 'clunk' of the doors. Heavy they are, safe they are, also. Yet the X5 4.4i never makes you think you're driving a tank (hello Range Rover!). I've never driven any other SUV that had the handling characteristic of this X5. BMW got that one just right.

Good, so far!!
By Chris on 06/16/09 13:19 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I've only owned it 1000mi and the car is still under warranty, but so far the car has been excellent. Took it on a long trip and the V8 is so smooth and effortless at speed. The car is rock solid. I will use the car for towing, so the extra weight is helpful, but otherwise the car is actually small for the 5000# weight. Gas mileage has been 19- 20 combined, which I'm happy with. I'm not sure I would buy this car new (not a great value and high depreciation), but I got a helluva deal because the poor economy and higher gas prices.

Great SUV
By tom on 05/10/08 20:09 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is my first BMW X5 that we purchased and we absolutely love this car. The handling of the car on the road is just pure fun. The car sticks to the road like clue. Beautiful interior design and the seats are very comfortable. The interior is much better then the MDX we drove before this X5. Fuel economy is not great, but then its an SUV and not a hybrid. If your looking for a ride with some zip and fun, the X5 fits the bill thats for sure. I absolutely love this car!

1 2 3 4 5 next »