2005 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
It's a BMW
By benzboyz on 02/24/13 17:04 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought my BMW X5 3.0i SAV in Feb 2010 with approximately 70k miles...current mileage 150k. I have always thought that BMW hit it out of the park in the looks department when they designed the X5; still do. I travel a lot for work and the X5 gives me confidence that I can handle any road conditions and is a comfortable highway cruiser. While I don't regret my decision to purchase BMW's flagship SAV, a potential buyer needs to remember that this vehicle is $50k new and is engineered to high performance/handling specs. As a result of both of the attributes, ongoing maintenance is going to be more frequent and expensive than most run of the mill SUVs.

Worst vehicle I've ever owned
By wbere on 09/22/12 13:20 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Daughter wanted this because she liked the styling. I should have known better but relented. Bought a 2005 X5 with 48,000 miles on it in summer of 2009 from the only dealership here (Autobahn Motors - in Fort Worth). One of worst buying experiences and service departments ever, but that's a separate rant. One owner. Looked well taken care of. Records okay. Since then it's been in and out of the shop. About 7 weeks ago, the low coolant light came on, so we took it to dealer, they checked it, and said it as a busted radiator cap. Fixed that and thought we were okay until light came on suddenly and SUV stopped running the other day. Now Dallas dealership said it was a cracked reservoir. $$$$$

Never Again
By Infiniti G on 02/26/10 21:35 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Creature comforts are very nice and fun to drive but horribly unreliable. At 42,000 miles started to sound like a diesel, alternator bearings bad and then completely failed. Cheap oem crimp style hose clamp on transmission recovery bottle failed which is also positioned directly above alternator.Dealer service technicians incorrectly diagnosed as having a bad high pressure power steering hose.Found out they wanted 1500 for repair and I towed it back home to fix myself for $150.Eats break pads and rotors for lunch,repl'd with better aftermarket.Brake pad sensor is poor design and you must replace sensor at pad change or your brake pad warning light will stay illuminated.

Gotta love it
By bimmer girl on 11/07/09 10:23 AM (PST)

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Our car now has 90,000 miles on it, and I still smile every time I drive it. It is so responsive, and tight around the corners, that I often forget that I'm in a huge SUV. I was almost ran off the road one day with my 2 kids in the back, and I fought to keep the vehicle on the road, but the BMW handled so well, that we got back on track and on our way. I truly believe that in any other SUV we would have tipped and crashed. People keep mentioning gas mileage, but they forget they bought a performance car! Indy cars and jet planes don't get great mileage either! I think it's pretty good- we average about 22 and got 28 on a long highway trip!

Great Car
By goodx5 on 11/03/09 13:57 PM (PST)

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We purchased this new in 2005 and have 110,000 miles on it now. Was in the shop a few times right after we bought it, but it hasn't been back (other than scheduled maintenance) since. The car is incredibly reliable and is as solid as a rock. You can tell the build quality and safety by the weight of the doors. Great heated seats, panorama sunroof, and comfort. Holds up to wear and tear very well driving around three busy sons. Definitely would buy another.

Like it a lot!
By JAXman on 10/14/09 17:00 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Got a heck of a deal compared to blue book pricing - This car has been great. Love the sleek design, big sunroof and great handling. Unfortunately I've already learned that it performs well in side impact. The fuel economy is not great but a little better than advertised. I think that on the highway I average about 25mpg. In the city about 18. If you drive it nice it's not terrible. Lots of room for all passengers and luggage. This car really is about as close to perfect as I could hope for - I think when I trade I will do so for a 2010 X5 Diesel in 2-3 years. Woo hoo for more fuel economy.

"Certified" means nothing
By sad customer on 08/11/09 07:31 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW to ever own and was super excited when we were told it was ours. However, after being told several times that when you buy "certified" it is like buying brand new. After 1 month, brake pads are grinding. After 3 months, oil, brake, and coolant lights all come on. The motor for the mirrors breaks and to top it all off...the BMW logo on the front of the car falls right off. I do live in Tx and I know it's hot, but really? I am trying to get rid of it now. Oh, and the best part, it did qualify as a "Cash for Clunker" vehicle. Great!

BMW Lover
By BMW Lover on 07/30/09 08:16 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

i purchased my x5 used and love it. fun to drive. had no problem so far.

Better than all the rest.
By bennette on 07/29/09 18:22 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This vehicle truly lives up to its nickname the ultimate driving machine. From the time I first sat in this vehicle it has done nothing but impress me. I love to drive it, I find myself making excuses to run errands just to drive it. Also I have not one problem. I will only drive BMW's from now on.

Junk
By Gianmarco on 07/17/09 12:09 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had a Dodge Durango 2001 before this x5 and never had a problem with it. The x5 is the worst car I had - it leaks from the roof when it rains; took it back to the dealer to get it fixed so many times and still same problem. Electrical problem goes dead can't find the problem, driver door won't open from outside with this car you never know if the engine is going to start or not. You don't expect this from a BMW. I am about to put a sign on my glass saying don't buy this car ,too many problems.