2005 BMW X5 3.0i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Bmw X5 - Consumer Reviews

2005 X5 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Sort Reviews by

A tank with style and performance.
By goosey3

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have a 2005 3.0d Sport which has covered 88k miles. It is fully loaded and built like a tank and yet performs like a sports saloon. One would have to look hard to find another 2-ton SUV that can achieve the 0-60 sprint in less than 8 seconds.

Favorite Features

Slick auto box. Descent control. Road holding. Heated seats. Rain-sense wipers.

Suggested Improvements

Softer seats and suspension.

first class Lemon
By rudi4you

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I was completely disappointed from BMW's X5! I bought this car with a high expectation and found me in a never ending repair loop. - if the engine was idle - smoking, smoking after you throttle up again - oil leaking - estimate around $4500 - HVAC quit working - estimate $2500 - tires, tires, tires ... - light bulbs never ending story - I changed by myself and spend in bulbs only almost $300 - windshield washer pumps - passengers door handle - estimate $450 and, and, and But nice was the comfort and the handling.

Favorite Features

handling, comfort, space, loading

Suggested Improvements

engine and alignment

BMW Quality FAIL
By chief770

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my X5 a few years back. I've been a loyal BMW owner since my first 2002 I bought back in the late 70s. I have had pretty good luck through the years until I bought this thing. My transmission went out at 75K, the tail light housing needs replacing so the lights don't continue to go out (not burn out, just not seating properly), the oil changes produce parts of a know flaw in the oil pump non-return valve ($2500 fix) and numerous issues with the mirrors, window washer motor, etc. Honestly, this is my last BMW as I no longer feel confident in their product. Lexus, here I come..........

Favorite Features

Has the potential of being a great SUV as the interior room is great.

Suggested Improvements

Stop producing products in Mexico and bring back BWM's famed quality control.

It's a BMW
By benzboyz

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought my BMW X5 3.0i SAV in Feb 2010 with approximately 70k miles...current mileage 150k. I have always thought that BMW hit it out of the park in the looks department when they designed the X5; still do. I travel a lot for work and the X5 gives me confidence that I can handle any road conditions and is a comfortable highway cruiser. While I don't regret my decision to purchase BMW's flagship SAV, a potential buyer needs to remember that this vehicle is $50k new and is engineered to high performance/handling specs. As a result of both of the attributes, ongoing maintenance is going to be more frequent and expensive than most run of the mill SUVs.

Favorite Features

It's a BMW....looks, suspension, front seat comfort, highway performance, full size spare, panoramic sunroof, engine oil life monitor, original battery lasted 7 years, and build quality (the doors weigh a ton and close with a solid thud). The little things, such as the removable front/rear tow hooks.

Suggested Improvements

None of the maintenance has been too bad, with most being preventative and replacement of many original front suspension parts. Takes a little getting used to having to replace both the brakes and rotors anytime either one fails, but I guess that's why it stops on a dime. To biggest issues: the air intake tube is poorly designed as can cause a high pitch squeak during low speed acceleration. If you live in a cold climate, get the oil separator/CCV replaced prior to 100k. Mine last until 150k, but left me stranded in Fargo, ND - refer to TSB 11 08 03.

Worst vehicle I've ever owned
By wbere

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Daughter wanted this because she liked the styling. I should have known better but relented. Bought a 2005 X5 with 48,000 miles on it in summer of 2009 from the only dealership here (Autobahn Motors - in Fort Worth). One of worst buying experiences and service departments ever, but that's a separate rant. One owner. Looked well taken care of. Records okay. Since then it's been in and out of the shop. About 7 weeks ago, the low coolant light came on, so we took it to dealer, they checked it, and said it as a busted radiator cap. Fixed that and thought we were okay until light came on suddenly and SUV stopped running the other day. Now Dallas dealership said it was a cracked reservoir. $$$$$

Great vehicle...when it's not in the service department
By toelldus

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased a one-owner X5 with just over 100,000 miles just three weeks ago. The first day with the car went well; however, the second did not. Accelerating after a rolling stop produced a lag followed by a violent jolt. Result=transmission needed to be replaced (do NOT fall for the "computer software update" run around, it will not fix anything.) Additionally, the X5 coated my garage floor with a 1 ft. in diameter oil puddle (caused by yet another mechanical issue). The dealer bought the vehicle back from me, while still maintaining it had NO mechanical issues. I'll be replacing it with an H3-same cost to fuel 18mpg vs. "22mpg", more reliable and much cheaper to maintain.

BE CAREFUL WHEN BUYING A USED X5
By jas74

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

These SUV's are great when purchased new, but when the sellers and owners don't have the correct maintenance performed. It could be a nightmare for the future owners. My story goes like this. Found a used 2005 X5 4.4i from a local BMW dealer. Purchased it and within a month bad transfer case 3,000 dollars, oil leaks along with brake lines 800 dollars. Remember only "ONE" month later! To say the least after working with the dealer, they bought it back! Afterall they gave it a clean bill of health before I drove it off the lot. Moral of this story.. IF you buy one of these, make sure you have it COMPLETELY checked over by a BMW mechianic you trust. Otherwise Walk way !

VERY DISAPPOINTED
By toughguy30

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Ok I just bought my SUV used from BMW with 53K miles on it. I bought the extended warranty. Its a week and already needs brake, tire pressure keeps coming on, the brake lights on, there are 2 hoses that need to be replaced, the washer fluid is leaking, the bushings need to be replaced and the rear windshield wiper needs to be replaced (not working). The repairs at BMW are over $2500. I went back to the dealer and they said its not covered under the 90 NYS warranty and the extended warranty doesn't kick in for 30 days or 1,000 miles which ever comes first. I had 2 Acura's and a Saab and never had these kind of issues. It seems at 50K miles these cars are a nightmare. Made a huge mistake!!

Favorite Features

Does ride nice, seats are comfortable. The GPS is very antiquated and NOT user friendly. The car is very tight and drives nice

Suggested Improvements

Needs to make the buttons on the door easier to reach. Impossible to reach when the door is closed. Also it seems the wear items on the car wear out at 50K miles. This includes brakes, hoses, bushings, suspension etc. The car costs $1000's of dollars in repairs and maintainence once you get to 50K. I wish I knew better going into this purchase!!

My LAST BMW
By mark635

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Which is unfortunate, since this is the 6th BMW I've owned...now my last. Purchased this X5 Certified Pre-Owned which basically amounts to at least being able to drive around in a newer model BMW just about every month for the NUMEROUS times I had my X5 in the shop...literally a week after purchase it was in service (bought from an authorized BMW dealer...not that that means anything nowadays). So far replaced--transmission, alternator, rear lights, roof trim, electronic dash, panorama sunroof fixed (not replaced), xenon headlamp. The worst part is that it takes THREE visits for every one issue...never done right the first time. Oh...and BMW charges $50 a pop for CPO repairs.

Favorite Features

The ride, the handling, the power considering the vehicle's weight, BMW styling of course.

Suggested Improvements

A lot of things....I think the '05 4.4 model is a complete POS.

Total LEMON, will never buy BMW again
By purdue_flunkie

2005 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Spent more time in the shop than on the road. Very cheaply made, tons of Chinese plastic. Engine misfires, coolant leaks, vacuum leaks, broken sunroof, door handles, door windows, and even cup holders broke… just to name a few issues during the 4th and 5th year of ownership. BEWARE repairs and parts are extremely overpriced and time consuming. Other than reliability and dependability, powertrain performs very well and acceleration is impressive considering the car’s weight. However Xdrive sucks, yes it can pull you out of a deep snow, but when it comes to cornering on a wet and/or icy surfaces it performs much worse than FWD vehicles. Summary: fun to drive while new, falls apart after 50k