2004 BMW X5 3.0i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Fun to Drive - Reliability Issues
By khalsamd

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Vehicle is fun to zip around in. The ride is stiff/sporty compared to other Luxury SUVs. The biggest problem I had with the vehicle was that its AC broke down 3 times during the 1st year. Only thing hotter than the Texas temperature was my temper during this period. To have plunked over $50K for a vehicle with an unreliable AC is unthinkable. Once this problem was resolved, I have had a very nice experience overall with the vehicle. The standard Audio system for this vehicle is a joke. Its the worst in this category of vehicles.

Favorite Features

Tiptoronic Transmission, External styling, Power, Handling

Suggested Improvements

Audio system, Airconditioning,

bmw x5
By poopy

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

the bmw x5 is an unbelievable car. The gas milage is much better than most of the other suv's i have used and its 4.4 liter v8 engine is terrific. Furthermore i reccomend the bmw x5 to drivers out there who want a car that has a lot of space and which works well on the road.

Favorite Features

the 320 horsepower,xDrive, V8 engine, 4.4 liters.

Suggested Improvements

better gas milage more horsepower, improved xDrive

2004 BMW X5 3.0
By hp2go

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Thus far we have been very pleased with the X5. No to pleased with the customer service at the dealership where purchased. The X5 drives and handles much like our previous 528i series.

Favorite Features

Like the displays, climate control system and navigation system.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation could use a touch screen instead of turning knob. Be nice if base models had a few more features rather than having to add on additional options.

Wow! What a Ride!!
By RocketManWow

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.8is AWD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Well, What can I say...This new BMW X5 4.8is is a Rocket. I have all the bells and whistles, and it all seemed to work fine. However, after just 3000 miles in a week, I wrapped it around a pole off of HWY 169 near Burnsville MN, I think I was exceeding the speed limit by 100 mph, or so. It was a wild ride, all the airbags appeared to work fine. Looking for car insurance now to purchase another one!!!

Favorite Features

Strong Engine, 20" Wheels, Interior, sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system didnt show that pole there! lol

PASS ON THE X5
By PETERb

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Car is not worth the dealer hassle. My X5 lease exp. and the plan was to get another one. UNTIL my turn in exp. 2 dealers Bob Smith,& Century both said the car was perfect. I also asked the pick up dealership to precheck the car. They didn't. Finally dealer picks up the car charges $1200 for a variety of small issues. I had a fit, called up BMW,they then came up with an enitrely different list but still 1,200! If known, I could have repaired all items for alot less. I tried resolveing with BMW corporate, no response. They're to many other good choices out there to put up with this nonsense. I just bought the Volvo SUV and I'm happy.

Suggested Improvements

Greater responsibliities between dealerships and owners. The dealers don't really care past the immediate sale.

Watch out for Trans Problems
By mikeohah

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Nothing but mehanical problems since I bought it. Having a new transmission at 6k miles and more electrial problems seems like its cursed like the 7 series.

Favorite Features

Car looks and drives great when its not in the dealaer for service

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders suck...you can't clean them

X5 Best SUV ever
By chrismellinghb

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Had my X5 for 10 months now, Drives as well has any car, My last car was a 330i coupe, the X5 is just has mutch fun to drive

Favorite Features

Park distance control. two tear rear door. stereo system. sat nav. memory seats.

Suggested Improvements

fuel econamy

Excellent Car
By GREAN1

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love this car. It is fast,fun,great looking, and it is easy to keep clean.Nearly a year later I am still finding things about it I enjoy. I believe I am sold on BMW forever.

Favorite Features

Interior design, hidden stereo,cold weather package, exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

A more practical windshield wiper fluid system

BMW X5 4.4i/ FULLY LOADED
By TRIPPLEPEAK

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

OUSTANDING COMFORT AND PERFORMANCE. TRADED CAYENNE WHICH HAD GOOD PERFORMANCE BUT FELL SHORT ON INTERIOR COMFORT AND EXTERIOR DESIGN. BMW X5 IS A DREAM CAR/SUV GREAT PERFORMANCE. IT SIMPLY ROCKS!!!!!

Favorite Features

WITH SPORT PACKAGE SEAT COMPORT AND ROAD HANDLING OUTSTANDING

Suggested Improvements

GET BLUETOOTH TO WORK ON X5 WITH SPORT PACKAGE

Imitated but not yet duplicated!
By BMW LOVER

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

For the $$, you get, "the smile factor". It gives you peep, comfort, safety and surefootedness in the snow AND the rain! Most of all it SCREAMS success without "trying too hard!" (Porsche, H2 and ML & G class drivers can relate.) The Range Rover is successful today BECAUSE it was REDESIGNED by BMW. Asked any BMW X5 driver and very few will complain about the practicality it lacks. X5 drivers like it because it's prestigious, fast, luxurious and a blast to drive! Newer SUVs today offer nothing more but increase horsepower! Like I said, imitated but still not yet duplicated!

Favorite Features

Speed, Rain sensors, automatic lights, everything. I'm leasing another one!

Suggested Improvements

Gas.