Used 2004 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Best Vehicle I Have Owned
By Roland

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is the car that you find a reason to drive it. Great looks and plenty of comfort features set this vehicle above others of its class. We have found the X5 to be a very safe vehicle ... my wife survied a front-end impact that resulted in severve damage to the vehicle, but without injury to herself.

Favorite Features

Styling and safety features (side- impact air bags, etc.

Suggested Improvements

More rear cargo space

The X5 - well worht the money
By CAHMER

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The X5 is a great SAV. It is fun to drive and handles great. The road is no longer a challange due to my bad back. The lumbar support option is well worth the money. Forget all the other SUVs! This is the ultimate!

Favorite Features

The comfort ride and lumbar support.

Suggested Improvements

The rear side air bags should not be an OPTION.

Nicest SUV at the Trailhead
By John

2004 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We purchased our X5 with approx. 53,000 miles under BMW's Certified Pre-Owned program and bought the service package to 100,000 miles. The X5 has been great. We live in Denver and drive to Vail almost every weekend. Average MPG is 19.2, not bad for 300+ HP, 5,000# car. Run Pirrelli snows in winter and Yokahoma Geolander in summer. The X5 is remarkably capable off road - Hill Descent Control is very impressive. The only funny part is the looks we get from other SUV drivers. Trips to the dealer for unscheduled service have been minimal and not expensive.

Favorite Features

Heated steering wheel and seats in winter. Icy A/C in summer. x-Drive year-round. Transmission is brilliant when descending in the mountains.

Suggested Improvements

Better heater warm on feet.

Maintenance Hog
By RaleighBMWOwner

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased new. Always followed recommended maintenance schedule. 54,000 miles driven as of jul/2010. Front brakes replaced under warranty (28,638). Starting to have lots of maintenance issues. Heat exchanger (34,113 miles). Thermostat (37,803). Front axle boot (47,488). Brakes fluid needed flushing (52,779). Rear brake light assembly (53,353). Front thrust rod bushings replaced (53,793). Told we need to replace other front axle boot. Passenger side a/c not working. What is next? All BMW repairs are not cheap. We purchased a 2005 Ford escape SUV (now with 57,000 miles) and have experienced only brake replacement. We didn't expect a $50k BMW to have these issues. We intended 2004 x5 to be 100,000 car.

Favorite Features

Drives and looks great (outside and inside).

Suggested Improvements

BMW should look at their quality control and engineering at the South Carolina plant. We've owned 4 BMW sedans and didn't have maintenance issues as with the X5 SUV.

Seven years young and still superb ...
By pasomike

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Other than no lumbar support ... this is and has been an awesome machine to drive. I purchased it new in January '04 ... now have 165,000 miles and it rides the same as the day I bought it! I have driven cross country (CA to NY and return) four times and have visited almost every state. I service it as scheduled and have had routine problems ... brakes once, front boots, a faulty thermostat when new and a broken brake light. I do have to add one quart of oil between each oil change ... I drive long high speed miles and the engine runs hot I have been told. Since the 1 qt has stayed consistent ... and no engine problems, I'm good. I'm onto to 300,000 miles!