2004 BMW X5 3.0i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

more fun than I expected
By Bimmerman

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had the pleasure of driving my X5 in Germany for six months before coming back to the U.S. The X5 handles like a dream especially at high speeds. Even if the rear storage space is a little tight, it has come in handy on numerous occasions. The X5 is reliable and the performance is great.

Favorite Features

Steptronic transmission and all wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

more rear storage space

First BMW
By lexie

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My first BMW is an X5. I like the SUV, not crazy about the dealership. They switched the rims on the vehicle after I purchased it. It was a demo. They denied it, but my sales person even said they did. Drives like a sedan. Looked better with other rims. Great Sienna red color. Only one in town. Have had it 4 months and haven't had any problems. Cup holders are inconvenient. Difficult to remove and replace rear cargo flap. Can't get the garage door openers to work.

Favorite Features

Great looking exterior. Great acceleration. Comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Doors are very hard to open. Make rear cargo flap easier to remove and reinstall. Space cup holders better. More standard features.

New BMW Zoom Zoom (X-5)
By cottontzu

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The light reading "Check Engine Soon" will NOT go off. The dealership SAYS I didn't put the gas cap on correctly. Nope! I've tried dozens of times. It is going to the shop soon. Once the A/C just stopped for few minutes. What was that?

Favorite Features

The smooth ride and style of body. The design is one for beauty and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Lock system needs to be simplified. The front seat needs to be longer in the straddle. (from back of seat to knees, it is too short for the average man or woman) I am 5'9"

Never question a BMW!!!
By backdoctor4

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I actually have the 2003 model I purchased in 2002. I can't say enough about this vehicle. I live on the east coast and the past 2 winters have been heavy snow and deep freezing temps. I still went everywhere with this truck and drove it like it was springtime. The anti-lock braking system and DSC system which does not allow the truck to fish tail or roll is very impressive. However, people who are not familiar with these systems think the truck does not handle well. You have to trust the truck in an emergency. The only negative aspect is the fuel economy, mine gets 13mpg, I personally don't care the truck is awesome!!! If you can't afford it don't buy

Favorite Features

Xenon headlamps and acceleration!!!

Suggested Improvements

The rear cup holder is too low, my kids kick and have broken it.

Great SUV
By jessica55

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great SUV for around town and for out of town trips. The V-6 provides more than ample power. Fun to drive!

1st Bimmer, Great so far...
By X-tra nice ride

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We bought our X5 9 days ago and couldn't be happier. We test drove the Acura MDX, Lexus RX, and Land Rover Discovery, but nothing compared to the comfort and luxury of the BMW. The others are extremely fine autos, and the Land Rover is just an off road monster (we had quite a bit of fun at the dealer's obstacle course), but the BMW was just a better fit for us. Tons of rear seat room, although we could use a touch more room in the cargo area once in a while. The engine and trans are awesome. I can't imagine why anyone would want to silence the I- 6 any more than it already is. You just can't beat the sound of a BMW. If you're worried about mpg, get a Honda.

Favorite Features

Engine acoustics, smooth shifting trans, sports car like handling (in the SUV class at least), panoramic moonroof, xenon adaptive lights (these are a must have!), gas mileage not bad for a 5000 lb suv (23 mpg cruising at 80 on the turnpike)

Suggested Improvements

A little more cargo room, make the trans lock up a little sooner (this would probably adversly affect the shifting smoothness)

x5 is great
By ckmm7

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Tremendous front legroom and confort. Great accleration. Nice layout. Unbelievable sunroof. Not enough storage space in cabin, no place to put sun glasses.

Favorite Features

Sunroof and cabin room.

Suggested Improvements

More storage space

The ultimate Driving Machine
By Ralphf

Great Car, hugs the road like no other SUV

Do not hesitate to buy it !
By L. Quinn

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

A great experience to drive it! Reliable and safe drive in all weather conditions, specially in snowy and rainy days. Fun to drive this comfortable SUV will provide you with good fuel economy (like 400 hundred miles with less than 3/4 of the tank of gas, hwy.)and lots of great times. Enjoy driving it!

none
By ocsd

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

most interior room of the midsize suvs