Used 2004 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 BMW X5

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Fun to Drive - Reliability Issues
By khalsamd

2004 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Vehicle is fun to zip around in. The ride is stiff/sporty compared to other Luxury SUVs. The biggest problem I had with the vehicle was that its AC broke down 3 times during the 1st year. Only thing hotter than the Texas temperature was my temper during this period. To have plunked over $50K for a vehicle with an unreliable AC is unthinkable. Once this problem was resolved, I have had a very nice experience overall with the vehicle. The standard Audio system for this vehicle is a joke. Its the worst in this category of vehicles.

Favorite Features

Tiptoronic Transmission, External styling, Power, Handling

Suggested Improvements

Audio system, Airconditioning,

bmw x5
By poopy

2004 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

the bmw x5 is an unbelievable car. The gas milage is much better than most of the other suv's i have used and its 4.4 liter v8 engine is terrific. Furthermore i reccomend the bmw x5 to drivers out there who want a car that has a lot of space and which works well on the road.

Favorite Features

the 320 horsepower,xDrive, V8 engine, 4.4 liters.

Suggested Improvements

better gas milage more horsepower, improved xDrive

2004 BMW X5 3.0
By hp2go

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Thus far we have been very pleased with the X5. No to pleased with the customer service at the dealership where purchased. The X5 drives and handles much like our previous 528i series.

Favorite Features

Like the displays, climate control system and navigation system.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation could use a touch screen instead of turning knob. Be nice if base models had a few more features rather than having to add on additional options.

Wow! What a Ride!!
By RocketManWow

2004 BMW X5 4.8is AWD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Well, What can I say...This new BMW X5 4.8is is a Rocket. I have all the bells and whistles, and it all seemed to work fine. However, after just 3000 miles in a week, I wrapped it around a pole off of HWY 169 near Burnsville MN, I think I was exceeding the speed limit by 100 mph, or so. It was a wild ride, all the airbags appeared to work fine. Looking for car insurance now to purchase another one!!!

Favorite Features

Strong Engine, 20" Wheels, Interior, sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system didnt show that pole there! lol

PASS ON THE X5
By PETERb

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Car is not worth the dealer hassle. My X5 lease exp. and the plan was to get another one. UNTIL my turn in exp. 2 dealers Bob Smith,& Century both said the car was perfect. I also asked the pick up dealership to precheck the car. They didn't. Finally dealer picks up the car charges $1200 for a variety of small issues. I had a fit, called up BMW,they then came up with an enitrely different list but still 1,200! If known, I could have repaired all items for alot less. I tried resolveing with BMW corporate, no response. They're to many other good choices out there to put up with this nonsense. I just bought the Volvo SUV and I'm happy.

Suggested Improvements

Greater responsibliities between dealerships and owners. The dealers don't really care past the immediate sale.