2004 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Rides like a 5 Series sedan, NO WAY!
By GregM27265 on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The X5 will leave most other SUV's in the dust including the VW Toureg, especially climbing up a twisting, winding mountain road. However, it will bounce you along like an 18 wheeler. Fun to drive, yes; on a long trip though, it is pure agony. Styling, it excels. Safety, that is one of the primary reasons for buying it. Would I do it over again, no way, not since I have driven the VW Toureg V8. Although the Toureg is not as fast, it rides like a car, handles like a sports car, and unlike the Porsche Cayenne, it has better trim, and cost tens of thousands of dollars less.

BMWX5
By Ann Meurs on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Best car I have ever owned, most useable features. Holds the road at any speed,leaves everyne in the dust.

All around best SUV
By Bloomingdale, IL on 12/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great performance, fast, reliable and a head turner.

Even better than hoped!
By chrisg on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Love it! Handles great, good power, sturdy feel, plenty of leg room. I do agree with the Editors review in that its not a great utiliterian vehicle, but who buys a BMW to haul lumber. Drives like a car, not a truck.

x5 bmw
By stoneycook on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

my experince has been excellent. However a frined of Minds mother does not like hers, says she can't see her blind spot

BMW X5 4.4
By gussy on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Great, the pick up is out of this world. This truck is smarter than most people I know.

Best SUV Ever Made!
By aoninc on 12/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have never driven a finer SUV, including my Range Rovers, Mercedes G500, and my father's Porsche Cayenne Turbo.

Buy it for the tax benefit
By dogdoc on 12/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The X-5 is clearly the best handling SUV, has all the BMW virtues (without the awful IDrive) and in 04 reasonable gas mileage. But the car is not as comfortable as a comparable sedan, and doesn't carry as much asthe new X-3! Consider the X5 a personal luxury vehicle that is stiffer and less comfortable than the comparable sedans but because its GVWR exceeds 6000 lbs, it will get you a helluva tax break if it is a business vehicle. If you are spending after tax dollars you should look elsewhere (e.g. the RX330 is much more comfortable and holds a LOT more stuff). Check with your accountant before buying!

Im on my second one
By boop on 12/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The first one I owned was better than this one. In the 3 years I can't imagine why there haven't been any improvements....although it is hard to improve, there are some minor adjustments to be made. I think maybe the tranni is slipping or just isn't as responsive as it should be, may need bigger trani. And there are blind spots in the rear, if the mirrors aren't just perfect.If you choose the navigation system... and a 6 changer cd... the cd cannot be put in the glove compartment.... but has to be in the rear.... most inconventent! The back up beeping drives me crazy, needs cut off switch that's not event related. I just seem disappointed with it a bit.

my new X5
By n king on 12/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We have had three 530's but hated the new design, so we went woth an X5. Why we ever drove anything else is a mystery to me. We've had a number of snowstorms already, and the car has been amazing, plowing through six inches of messy snow and holding its own no matter what. It feels just like a car, has a roomy, well-designed and luxurious interior, and we love it. It doesn't have that boxy feeling of many other SUV's we've driven. We've owned BMW's for 18 years, and there's a reason for our loyalty. The 2004 X5 does not disappoint. Now all we need is a little Z4 to match.