Used 2004 BMW X5 4.8is SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

conflicted feelings abound
By joeshaffer

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.8is AWD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I was more excited to receive this vehicle than any other. Now it is here I have very mixed feelings. First off: Imola Red/Nav/Floor/Sirius/comfort seats/Metal running +pedals/set of snow tires (minnesota). Comfort seats are really great, engine noise great, acceleration great. Navigation hopeless; most user unfriendly system in existence. You can NOT I-pod or bluetooth phone the 4.8is. This 'truck' is great if you do not have a family or a dog (but I do), two front passengers will be very happy. Soon as you try to load anything of substance you start to wonder why you spend 85K (taxes inclded) on it. It is a completely impractical SUV; REALLY think why you want this X5.

Favorite Features

comfort seats, acceleration really fun, stability and lack of body roll, auto dimming mirrors, exterior appearance, panorama roof. You will find yourself at 90 mph easily and often. Thats without the performance tires on yet (I started with Snow) Do not try snow in performance tires. Seat heat

Suggested Improvements

cup holders designed by complete moron, unacceptable for 85K vehicle sold in America, we love 20oz coffee not two small bottled waters. No notification if door is open while driving (really!), very little leg room in back seat, too high for Dog even with ramp; Can not I-Pod the 4.8is. NAV sucks

Great Ride
By knerps

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.8is AWD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

A superb vehicle all around. Great looks with the performance to match. Love the sound the engine makes when you turn it on. It makes you really look foreward to driving.

Favorite Features

Panoramic sun roof, 20" rims.

Suggested Improvements

The car is definately a gas guzzler, but if you can afford to own one the price of gas should not bother you.

Upgraded from 4.4i to 4.8is
By Tampa Rob

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.8is AWD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I did a diplomatic purchase on this vehicle through Joern Esser at Passport BMW in Maryland Heights, MD. Reeves BMW in Tampa delivered the vehicle and did an awesome job getting the truck ready for me. All in all an outstanding ride with the performance to match and looks that are exceptional. I highly recommend this BMW to anyone in this market and especially so if you can qualify for a diplomatic sale - the savings are substanial.

Favorite Features

The exterior looks and the noise of the exhaust when you hit the accelerator.

Suggested Improvements

None. BMW did an outstanding job on this SAV.

BMW believer now
By Intocars

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.8is AWD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Best looking SUV for this size on the market. 20" rims, super-wide low profile tires, deep exhaust tones make this combination unbeatable. Performance almost equal to my AMG Mercedes. Build quality unsurpassed. Cannot wipe the smile off my face when driving it. Purchsed the Imola Red so this is even more rare (everyone has black or silver). Handles so well I've had to set the speed reminder to let me know when I pass 80 mph (which is often). If you are performance minded and want a good looking high quality vehicle, this is the SUV for you.

Favorite Features

Performance, style, handling, shifting, interior quality, panoramic roof, soft Napa leather, placement of controls, Sirius satellite radio... you get the picture!

Suggested Improvements

I cannot honestly think of anything except the cost... but you get what you pay for.

Clean
By Tigran

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.8is AWD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

It feel like a you are at your home. Just your house is moving, it's that comfortable.

Favorite Features

Everything specially the handling and fastnest.

Suggested Improvements

None everything is good.