Used 2004 BMW X5 4.4i SUV Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Never will buy X5 again
By Razor

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

BMW = Be My Wreck 2004 X5, 4.4.
When I bought this hunk of junk 3 years ago, I was glad I spent the extra money for an extended warranty. And, before I bought it, I insisted the seller take it to a BMW dealership and have it checked out. It cost me $100, and was found to have no issues at that time. Within the first six months, all the seals for the transfer case had to be replaced - $3,300. Within the next year, it started blowing white smoke from the exhaust, also common with this model. I took it in for an oil change and diagnosis for the white smoke. The repair shop found 3 small pieces from the oil pan and informed me that I needed a new oil pump, another common issue with the 4.4 engine - $3,000. Next, they informed me that, due to BMW using cheap valve guides which wore out prematurely causing the engine to burn oil, those had to be replaced. Another common issue with the 4.4 engine. Cost - $7,000. My extended warranty provider refused to pay for repairs that totaled more than the value of the vehicle, so I ended up paying $4,000 out of pocket. After only six months since the rebuild, the engine is now leaking oil all over the driveway. Total cost paid by me and extended warranty = $22,000. My advice: Never buy a BMW x5 with over 100,000 miles on it. I am now shopping for a 4Runner.

Awesome Driving Machine
By Imiller

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought a 2004 4.4i in October of '07 and just recently sold it in Sept. of '10. I drove this vehicle for 3 years and put about 35000 miles a year on this car, a huge number of miles a year. When I bought it it had 39,000 miles and when I sold it it had 139,000. I think this car was a lemon though. It had a vibration at a hard acceleration that no one could figure out and I was glad to be rid of this car because of that. I did have an '02 3.0 before this one and loved it. I am looking at buy an '04 4.8 at the present though because overall I loved the look and sportiness of this car. Also, both cars held their value when I sold them. I broke even even at such high mileage.

Handibility and acceleration is excellent. I loved the looks too. No other SUV looks the way this car looks, especially the V8's

Can't think of any. Gas millage is no worse that any other SUV, some people complained about cup holders which were lacking but I don't see that as being any big deal. The biggest shortfall was the lack of a CD player in the dash with the Nav system. Should have done away with the cassette player.

Nicest SUV at the Trailhead
By John

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We purchased our X5 with approx. 53,000 miles under BMW's Certified Pre-Owned program and bought the service package to 100,000 miles. The X5 has been great. We live in Denver and drive to Vail almost every weekend. Average MPG is 19.2, not bad for 300+ HP, 5,000# car. Run Pirrelli snows in winter and Yokahoma Geolander in summer. The X5 is remarkably capable off road - Hill Descent Control is very impressive. The only funny part is the looks we get from other SUV drivers. Trips to the dealer for unscheduled service have been minimal and not expensive.

Heated steering wheel and seats in winter. Icy A/C in summer. x-Drive year-round. Transmission is brilliant when descending in the mountains.

Better heater warm on feet.

Ahhhh!
By mrd

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

An excellent vehicle. Limited cargo space if you want to move an apartment, but in normal daily living it is more than adequate. Responsive steering, good pick up, fun - everything you would expect out of a BMW.

16-way comfort seats panoramic moon roof heated seats nav system

The vehicle could be a little longer to allow more rear seat leg room.

Sold on X5
By Niels Leppert

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I am sooo pleased with my 2004 4.4 X5...Got the Sport pack with 19" wheels...if you are a Town Car person, you may find the sport package too stiff. Great looking body is rattle-free, the brakes and steering are well sorted and it handles like a vehicle half its weight. Tons of sooth awesome-sounding V8 power mate to a tight Steptronic tranny. Articulating xenons are terrific at night. Premium sound with DSP is killer! Panoramic roof is way fun. The Nav takes a few days to sort out; if you can't grasp it, stay home.