Used 2004 BMW X5 4.4i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Awesome Driving Machine
By Imiller

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought a 2004 4.4i in October of '07 and just recently sold it in Sept. of '10. I drove this vehicle for 3 years and put about 35000 miles a year on this car, a huge number of miles a year. When I bought it it had 39,000 miles and when I sold it it had 139,000. I think this car was a lemon though. It had a vibration at a hard acceleration that no one could figure out and I was glad to be rid of this car because of that. I did have an '02 3.0 before this one and loved it. I am looking at buy an '04 4.8 at the present though because overall I loved the look and sportiness of this car. Also, both cars held their value when I sold them. I broke even even at such high mileage.

Favorite Features

Handibility and acceleration is excellent. I loved the looks too. No other SUV looks the way this car looks, especially the V8's

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any. Gas millage is no worse that any other SUV, some people complained about cup holders which were lacking but I don't see that as being any big deal. The biggest shortfall was the lack of a CD player in the dash with the Nav system. Should have done away with the cassette player.

Nicest SUV at the Trailhead
By John

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We purchased our X5 with approx. 53,000 miles under BMW's Certified Pre-Owned program and bought the service package to 100,000 miles. The X5 has been great. We live in Denver and drive to Vail almost every weekend. Average MPG is 19.2, not bad for 300+ HP, 5,000# car. Run Pirrelli snows in winter and Yokahoma Geolander in summer. The X5 is remarkably capable off road - Hill Descent Control is very impressive. The only funny part is the looks we get from other SUV drivers. Trips to the dealer for unscheduled service have been minimal and not expensive.

Favorite Features

Heated steering wheel and seats in winter. Icy A/C in summer. x-Drive year-round. Transmission is brilliant when descending in the mountains.

Suggested Improvements

Better heater warm on feet.

Ahhhh!
By mrd

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

An excellent vehicle. Limited cargo space if you want to move an apartment, but in normal daily living it is more than adequate. Responsive steering, good pick up, fun - everything you would expect out of a BMW.

Favorite Features

16-way comfort seats panoramic moon roof heated seats nav system

Suggested Improvements

The vehicle could be a little longer to allow more rear seat leg room.

Sold on X5
By Niels Leppert

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I am sooo pleased with my 2004 4.4 X5...Got the Sport pack with 19" wheels...if you are a Town Car person, you may find the sport package too stiff. Great looking body is rattle-free, the brakes and steering are well sorted and it handles like a vehicle half its weight. Tons of sooth awesome-sounding V8 power mate to a tight Steptronic tranny. Articulating xenons are terrific at night. Premium sound with DSP is killer! Panoramic roof is way fun. The Nav takes a few days to sort out; if you can't grasp it, stay home.

14500 mi in 9mo.
By tom holmvik

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We have now put allmost 15k on this car since new. We ordered the car with every option avail. Love the performance, but have been to the dealer 4 times!!! for the same problem in the last 4mo. Check engine light keeps coming on, very annoying. Would look to buy something different next time. And this is our 4th BMW. Nav system is antique and does not offer in dash cd... There should be away to interface ipod or mp3 format.

Favorite Features

Performance, handling

Suggested Improvements

Uppdate the nav/phone/stereo system. Reliability is very poor.