2004 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Seven years young and still superb ...
By pasomike on 02/25/11 22:53 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Other than no lumbar support ... this is and has been an awesome machine to drive. I purchased it new in January '04 ... now have 165,000 miles and it rides the same as the day I bought it! I have driven cross country (CA to NY and return) four times and have visited almost every state. I service it as scheduled and have had routine problems ... brakes once, front boots, a faulty thermostat when new and a broken brake light. I do have to add one quart of oil between each oil change ... I drive long high speed miles and the engine runs hot I have been told. Since the 1 qt has stayed consistent ... and no engine problems, I'm good. I'm onto to 300,000 miles!

Awesome Driving Machine
By Imiller on 10/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought a 2004 4.4i in October of '07 and just recently sold it in Sept. of '10. I drove this vehicle for 3 years and put about 35000 miles a year on this car, a huge number of miles a year. When I bought it it had 39,000 miles and when I sold it it had 139,000. I think this car was a lemon though. It had a vibration at a hard acceleration that no one could figure out and I was glad to be rid of this car because of that. I did have an '02 3.0 before this one and loved it. I am looking at buy an '04 4.8 at the present though because overall I loved the look and sportiness of this car. Also, both cars held their value when I sold them. I broke even even at such high mileage.

Maintenance Hog
By RaleighBMWOwner on 07/27/10 11:53 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased new. Always followed recommended maintenance schedule. 54,000 miles driven as of jul/2010. Front brakes replaced under warranty (28,638). Starting to have lots of maintenance issues. Heat exchanger (34,113 miles). Thermostat (37,803). Front axle boot (47,488). Brakes fluid needed flushing (52,779). Rear brake light assembly (53,353). Front thrust rod bushings replaced (53,793). Told we need to replace other front axle boot. Passenger side a/c not working. What is next? All BMW repairs are not cheap. We purchased a 2005 Ford escape SUV (now with 57,000 miles) and have experienced only brake replacement. We didn't expect a $50k BMW to have these issues. We intended 2004 x5 to be 100,000 car.

X5 Rules the fun-to-drive SUV Market
By elstone on 07/16/10 10:15 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The X5 is a joy to drive! Fun, fast, agile, and driver-intuitive. All the reasons you buy a BMW to begin with. But, you also get the benefits of an SUV - more space (though it's not a huge cargo area) and solid off-road capabilities. A perfect marriage, in my book. If you are looking for an SUV and don't want to compromise in the driving department, this is a great fit. Looks great too!

Overcomplicated Undependable 4th car
By RaySmay on 07/19/09 18:21 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Car was back in the shop for carburetion problems from the time it was new. Brakes are replaced with 50% + of pads left due to poor sensor system. Sunroof hoses pinched during assembly and as soon as a minor amount of dust collected in them water filled both front floor wells. Water ran down over fuse boxes while draining to the floor. Now the lights keep kicking out. Rear wells filled with water (behind access panels to rear light bulbs). All the wiring "boxes" filled with water and now all the junctions are corroded. Rear tail lights go out whenever they feel like it. This car is about the poorest engineered vehicle the devil could have designed. Need a Buick to get parts and make trips.

Excellent SUV
By Volkan on 04/28/09 17:30 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Drives like a car, great control, great handling, great brakes, great quality car.

Nicest SUV at the Trailhead
By John on 02/14/09 12:41 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We purchased our X5 with approx. 53,000 miles under BMW's Certified Pre-Owned program and bought the service package to 100,000 miles. The X5 has been great. We live in Denver and drive to Vail almost every weekend. Average MPG is 19.2, not bad for 300+ HP, 5,000# car. Run Pirrelli snows in winter and Yokahoma Geolander in summer. The X5 is remarkably capable off road - Hill Descent Control is very impressive. The only funny part is the looks we get from other SUV drivers. Trips to the dealer for unscheduled service have been minimal and not expensive.

Awesome Vehicle
By Mike on 03/24/08 22:13 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Best driving midsize SUV on the market. Fast and stylish enough for male and female drivers. Handling is second to none in this weight category. I can only imagine the 4.4 or 4.8 really gets down the road if my 3.0 drives this well! This is my second one and I am very happy with the updated features of the 2004. Must get the extra large sun roof and xenon lights.

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!
By BMWfinatic on 02/17/07 18:23 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My second bmw. I absolutely love it. Amazing ride, comfort and I feel so safe driving down the road. It is perfect for wanting a fun, nice car with the suv (or "SAV") versatility. Handles great in all weather. I was a little disappointed with the depreciation, considering my last one really held its value. Will only buy BMW for the rest of my life. no other car company can come close to their customer service, quality, performance. BMW really stands behind their product.

Fun to drive X5
By Andrew on 12/31/05 21:44 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Our X5 is the most fun auto I have ever driven. It truly handles like a sports car except with the amazing X-drive. On the slippery wet pavement we have the X-5 is simply something special, when other cars would break loose the X-drive digs in and pulls you through the corners, push this machine to its limits and you will be amazed. When my wife drives it becomes the smooth and docile SAV she loves. This vehicle is an awesome combination of great handling qualities for either the conservative or the demanding driver.