Used 2004 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Bmw X5 - Consumer Reviews

2004 BMW X5

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Seven years young and still superb ...
By pasomike

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Other than no lumbar support ... this is and has been an awesome machine to drive. I purchased it new in January '04 ... now have 165,000 miles and it rides the same as the day I bought it! I have driven cross country (CA to NY and return) four times and have visited almost every state. I service it as scheduled and have had routine problems ... brakes once, front boots, a faulty thermostat when new and a broken brake light. I do have to add one quart of oil between each oil change ... I drive long high speed miles and the engine runs hot I have been told. Since the 1 qt has stayed consistent ... and no engine problems, I'm good. I'm onto to 300,000 miles!

Awesome Driving Machine
By Imiller

2004 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought a 2004 4.4i in October of '07 and just recently sold it in Sept. of '10. I drove this vehicle for 3 years and put about 35000 miles a year on this car, a huge number of miles a year. When I bought it it had 39,000 miles and when I sold it it had 139,000. I think this car was a lemon though. It had a vibration at a hard acceleration that no one could figure out and I was glad to be rid of this car because of that. I did have an '02 3.0 before this one and loved it. I am looking at buy an '04 4.8 at the present though because overall I loved the look and sportiness of this car. Also, both cars held their value when I sold them. I broke even even at such high mileage.

Favorite Features

Handibility and acceleration is excellent. I loved the looks too. No other SUV looks the way this car looks, especially the V8's

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any. Gas millage is no worse that any other SUV, some people complained about cup holders which were lacking but I don't see that as being any big deal. The biggest shortfall was the lack of a CD player in the dash with the Nav system. Should have done away with the cassette player.

Maintenance Hog
By RaleighBMWOwner

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased new. Always followed recommended maintenance schedule. 54,000 miles driven as of jul/2010. Front brakes replaced under warranty (28,638). Starting to have lots of maintenance issues. Heat exchanger (34,113 miles). Thermostat (37,803). Front axle boot (47,488). Brakes fluid needed flushing (52,779). Rear brake light assembly (53,353). Front thrust rod bushings replaced (53,793). Told we need to replace other front axle boot. Passenger side a/c not working. What is next? All BMW repairs are not cheap. We purchased a 2005 Ford escape SUV (now with 57,000 miles) and have experienced only brake replacement. We didn't expect a $50k BMW to have these issues. We intended 2004 x5 to be 100,000 car.

Favorite Features

Drives and looks great (outside and inside).

Suggested Improvements

BMW should look at their quality control and engineering at the South Carolina plant. We've owned 4 BMW sedans and didn't have maintenance issues as with the X5 SUV.

X5 Rules the fun-to-drive SUV Market
By elstone

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The X5 is a joy to drive! Fun, fast, agile, and driver-intuitive. All the reasons you buy a BMW to begin with. But, you also get the benefits of an SUV - more space (though it's not a huge cargo area) and solid off-road capabilities. A perfect marriage, in my book. If you are looking for an SUV and don't want to compromise in the driving department, this is a great fit. Looks great too!

Favorite Features

Handling, Great mix of luxury and sporty, Practical, yet fun.

Suggested Improvements

Interior door handle showing signs of wear and tear unlike any other area of car. The coating is starting to Peel slightly. Everything else is still pristine.

Overcomplicated Undependable 4th car
By RaySmay

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Car was back in the shop for carburetion problems from the time it was new. Brakes are replaced with 50% + of pads left due to poor sensor system. Sunroof hoses pinched during assembly and as soon as a minor amount of dust collected in them water filled both front floor wells. Water ran down over fuse boxes while draining to the floor. Now the lights keep kicking out. Rear wells filled with water (behind access panels to rear light bulbs). All the wiring "boxes" filled with water and now all the junctions are corroded. Rear tail lights go out whenever they feel like it. This car is about the poorest engineered vehicle the devil could have designed. Need a Buick to get parts and make trips.

Suggested Improvements

Start over and get away from all the fancy sensing devices since they are half the problem. Don't you understand basic water tightness and the need for dependability.