Used 2004 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

very impressed
By new2bmwx5

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Just bought a very clean 2004 3.0 6 cylinder BMW X5 with 95k miles on it. Drives like new. Great handling and getting 20mpg combined city and highway. Computer screen has bad sunspots and will cost $2200 to replace (not going to happen). Finding that BMW parts are expensive to replace, and can only happen through dealers. Roomy passenger spaces but very limited back storage area. I drive highways and some pretty rough areas, and this vehicle handles them all well.

Handling, braking, acceleration, inside room. Very low level of road noise. Solid vehicle.

Move window controls out from under door handle.

Seven years young and still superb ...
By pasomike

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Other than no lumbar support ... this is and has been an awesome machine to drive. I purchased it new in January '04 ... now have 165,000 miles and it rides the same as the day I bought it! I have driven cross country (CA to NY and return) four times and have visited almost every state. I service it as scheduled and have had routine problems ... brakes once, front boots, a faulty thermostat when new and a broken brake light. I do have to add one quart of oil between each oil change ... I drive long high speed miles and the engine runs hot I have been told. Since the 1 qt has stayed consistent ... and no engine problems, I'm good. I'm onto to 300,000 miles!

Awesome Driving Machine
By Imiller

2004 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought a 2004 4.4i in October of '07 and just recently sold it in Sept. of '10. I drove this vehicle for 3 years and put about 35000 miles a year on this car, a huge number of miles a year. When I bought it it had 39,000 miles and when I sold it it had 139,000. I think this car was a lemon though. It had a vibration at a hard acceleration that no one could figure out and I was glad to be rid of this car because of that. I did have an '02 3.0 before this one and loved it. I am looking at buy an '04 4.8 at the present though because overall I loved the look and sportiness of this car. Also, both cars held their value when I sold them. I broke even even at such high mileage.

Handibility and acceleration is excellent. I loved the looks too. No other SUV looks the way this car looks, especially the V8's

Can't think of any. Gas millage is no worse that any other SUV, some people complained about cup holders which were lacking but I don't see that as being any big deal. The biggest shortfall was the lack of a CD player in the dash with the Nav system. Should have done away with the cassette player.

Maintenance Hog
By RaleighBMWOwner

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased new. Always followed recommended maintenance schedule. 54,000 miles driven as of jul/2010. Front brakes replaced under warranty (28,638). Starting to have lots of maintenance issues. Heat exchanger (34,113 miles). Thermostat (37,803). Front axle boot (47,488). Brakes fluid needed flushing (52,779). Rear brake light assembly (53,353). Front thrust rod bushings replaced (53,793). Told we need to replace other front axle boot. Passenger side a/c not working. What is next? All BMW repairs are not cheap. We purchased a 2005 Ford escape SUV (now with 57,000 miles) and have experienced only brake replacement. We didn't expect a $50k BMW to have these issues. We intended 2004 x5 to be 100,000 car.

Drives and looks great (outside and inside).

BMW should look at their quality control and engineering at the South Carolina plant. We've owned 4 BMW sedans and didn't have maintenance issues as with the X5 SUV.

X5 Rules the fun-to-drive SUV Market
By elstone

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The X5 is a joy to drive! Fun, fast, agile, and driver-intuitive. All the reasons you buy a BMW to begin with. But, you also get the benefits of an SUV - more space (though it's not a huge cargo area) and solid off-road capabilities. A perfect marriage, in my book. If you are looking for an SUV and don't want to compromise in the driving department, this is a great fit. Looks great too!

Handling, Great mix of luxury and sporty, Practical, yet fun.

Interior door handle showing signs of wear and tear unlike any other area of car. The coating is starting to Peel slightly. Everything else is still pristine.