Used 2004 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 137 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 BMW X5

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Never will buy X5 again
By Razor

2004 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

BMW = Be My Wreck 2004 X5, 4.4.
When I bought this hunk of junk 3 years ago, I was glad I spent the extra money for an extended warranty. And, before I bought it, I insisted the seller take it to a BMW dealership and have it checked out. It cost me $100, and was found to have no issues at that time. Within the first six months, all the seals for the transfer case had to be replaced - $3,300. Within the next year, it started blowing white smoke from the exhaust, also common with this model. I took it in for an oil change and diagnosis for the white smoke. The repair shop found 3 small pieces from the oil pan and informed me that I needed a new oil pump, another common issue with the 4.4 engine - $3,000. Next, they informed me that, due to BMW using cheap valve guides which wore out prematurely causing the engine to burn oil, those had to be replaced. Another common issue with the 4.4 engine. Cost - $7,000. My extended warranty provider refused to pay for repairs that totaled more than the value of the vehicle, so I ended up paying $4,000 out of pocket. After only six months since the rebuild, the engine is now leaking oil all over the driveway. Total cost paid by me and extended warranty = $22,000. My advice: Never buy a BMW x5 with over 100,000 miles on it. I am now shopping for a 4Runner.

a headache from the beginning
By Vanessa

2004 BMW X5 4.8is AWD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I felt in love when i saw this car at the dealer, i bought it used precertify. this suv is VERy
VERy heavy to make turns and to park, its very tiff. I have oil leaking problem, doing my research turned out that most of them have the oil leaks problem after 100k miles or so, so every 2 week i have to add oil when its low on oil. Tires are not straight, they are a bit outwardd inclined, so,i had to change 6 tires in 1 year and 5 month period.,the left mirrow would always come out. Back light will go out often, either the turn, brake or tail light.. i had 2 windows regulator broken and the sunroof regulator was weak.
The motor was burning too much oil, lots of smoke come out of pipe if i idle. One mechanic told me it need a tune up, another one says it needs a special oil, and the third says its the motor burning oil cuz of high miles(127k). I had to replace the battery once and it was a nightmate, and i have to replace the key cuz the remote control battery die and there is no way to get a new battery ,, the whole key need replacement. At the end i was getting the "trans safe program fail" light and the car was lossing power, i dont know if it needed another battery after changing it 4 months before that. But im glad i was able to get rid of that car before its brake down completely. I owned for 1 year and 5 month,

very impressed
By new2bmwx5

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Just bought a very clean 2004 3.0 6 cylinder BMW X5 with 95k miles on it. Drives like new. Great handling and getting 20mpg combined city and highway. Computer screen has bad sunspots and will cost $2200 to replace (not going to happen). Finding that BMW parts are expensive to replace, and can only happen through dealers. Roomy passenger spaces but very limited back storage area. I drive highways and some pretty rough areas, and this vehicle handles them all well.

Handling, braking, acceleration, inside room. Very low level of road noise. Solid vehicle.

Move window controls out from under door handle.

Seven years young and still superb ...
By pasomike

2004 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Other than no lumbar support ... this is and has been an awesome machine to drive.
I purchased it new in January '04 ... now have 165,000 miles and it rides the same as the day I bought it!
I have driven cross country (CA to NY and return) four times and have visited almost every state.
I service it as scheduled and have had routine problems ... brakes once, front boots, a faulty thermostat when new and a broken brake light.
I do have to add one quart of oil between each oil change ... I drive long high speed miles and the engine runs hot I have been told.
Since the 1 qt has stayed consistent ... and no engine problems, I'm good.
I'm onto to 300,000 miles!

Awesome Driving Machine
By Imiller

2004 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought a 2004 4.4i in October of '07 and just recently sold it in Sept. of '10. I drove this vehicle for 3 years and put about 35000 miles a year on this car, a huge number of miles a year. When I bought it it had 39,000 miles and when I sold it it had 139,000. I think this car was a lemon though. It had a vibration at a hard acceleration that no one could figure out and I was glad to be rid of this car because of that. I did have an '02 3.0 before this one and loved it. I am looking at buy an '04 4.8 at the present though because overall I loved the look and sportiness of this car. Also, both cars held their value when I sold them. I broke even even at such high mileage.

Handibility and acceleration is excellent. I loved the looks too. No other SUV looks the way this car looks, especially the V8's

Can't think of any. Gas millage is no worse that any other SUV, some people complained about cup holders which were lacking but I don't see that as being any big deal. The biggest shortfall was the lack of a CD player in the dash with the Nav system. Should have done away with the cassette player.