2003 BMW X5 Consumer Review: Mixed bag

2003 BMW X5 - Consumer Review

3.0i 4dr SUV (3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Mixed bag
By francious on

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Performance, appearance, gas mileage are all excellent. The interior trim is not holding up and the controls are terrible. AM radio reception is terrible and the controls on the steering wheel are much too complicated in comparison to the Mercedes and Honda I drive. Cruise Control has 4 buttons with symbols and must be actuated whenever you start the vehicle. The sound system has no dial to go from stations only a button to advance. I would never buy another BMW. I'll stick to Mercedes and Hondas. This is a fun to drive ride and it is a shame they let the little things get in the way of satisfaction for people like me.

Clam shell hatch, rear seats that adjust. Long adjustment on front seats. Appearance. Acceleration and reasonable gas mileage for an SUV.

Simplify controls. Put in a decent sound system and antenna. Better quality plastics and faux wood in the interior. I keep cars for 150,000 miles and I don't expect the interior to get shabby.