Used 2003 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

BMW X5 3L 4-27-04
By jmklansnic

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchasing, driving, and service have been the best I have ever had with a vehicle.

Favorite Features

Handling, styling, comfort, and towing capability.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Sports car in an SUV body
By InkyRusner

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a great vehicle. Power and handling are superior. I owned sports cars prior to this car and this is as much fun to drive as they were, but with room for golf clubs, skiis, sports stuff, luggage, etc.

Favorite Features

Handling and power. Also love the ability to jump between automatic and standard tranmission. Standard warranty covers everything for several years. BMW treats customers extemely well. On-board computer.

Suggested Improvements

Wipers that lift up off window and stay up. Ability to program features myself that currently have to be done by the shop.

Exceeds my expectations
By Dan Bray

2003 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Awkward ergonomics compared to Lexus...but that's no suprise. Superior handeling to any Lexus I've leased (LS 400, GS300 & SC430). More solid build than Lexus. As comfortable to drive as Lexus and Mercedes. Most stylish and sophisticated SUV (Cayenne & Mercedes SUVs close 2nd). Awkward & noisy A/C. Worse-than-average SUV fuel consumption. Amazing acceleration. Excellent sound system, although quirky controls. DVD Nav is inferior to Lexus' DVD Nav. Smaller cargo room doesn't bother me...and I'm an interior designer. Always get compliments on its styling.

Favorite Features

Performance & handeling. Exterior & interior styling. Very comfortable & quiet to drive. Great sound system. Awesome 20" wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Rather do without park distance control..very annoying. Awkward & noisy A/C. Bad fuel consumption. 4.6 model is $70,000 loaded...$15,000 overpriced.

The BEST SAV not SUV
By John CC

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I think so many people rate the x5 inaccuratly do to is lack of off road abilities but it's on rad abilites out perform most passenger cars whenit come to saftey and driver control. I love my X5 and find it hard to imagine what I will purchase next if anything at all. I think more consumers should consider it even if cost is a major factor becouse you do get every dime that you pay for plus a few. I would't trad it for the world well ok If I could get the no us version of the 4.6 I would but that is the only way. Enjoy

Favorite Features

over all handling abilities. DSC it takes all the guess work out of poor weather driving conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound systems, softer seats little hard for long drives.

Part Utility, ALL BMW
By blair780

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my eleventh auto, my third BMW, my first BMW SAV. I can not say enough good things about this vehicle. In my 13th month of ownership it continues to impress me each time I take the wheel. I keep thinking I want to go back to a car but then I drive it and I can't remember why. If your considering it I have one suggestion... DRIVE IT. I don't think you will buy anything else. The handling and ride are by far BEST IN CLASS (though I do recommend the SPort Pkg). Even in 3.0 trim its no sleeper.

Favorite Features

I love the interior, the sport seats, the looks of the exterior, and most importantly the ride and handling. A pleasure to drive on highway, long trips and fun to drive in the city in stop and go. For a heavy vehicle it always feels nimble with the precision you expect from BMW.

Suggested Improvements

I recommend the premium sound system for the richer bass. Also, as with most vehicles with a tailgate, it creates noise. A minor annoyance addressed by the dealer every 10-12 months but I beleive the 2004 electric rear gate latch has probably corrected this.