Used 2003 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Most Helpful|
X5
By Al Ward

2003 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am very pleased with my X5. I came from a new Tahoe Z71 which I was lucky to get 13 MPG. The X5 is fun to drive and quite snappy. We drive to Idaho in the summer and find the car very unique.

Favorite Features

Handling qualitys

Suggested Improvements

Should come standard with 19" or 20" wheels

X5 Review from Kenya
By James Wachira

2003 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love the vehicle. I imported from Singapore with 38000 Km on the odometer. I enjoy the car. However, I have experienced two problems that I have not been able to solve. One the radio/CD just went off whilst driving and havent been able to put it on since. Today I switched on the car and could not start, the computer display indicated code. A few times the boot has refused to open, but it would later open after a day or so, seems to be an electronic problem Can someone provide some solutions on this and share solutions if had experienced same thing. Unfortunately I dont have a manual for the car

Favorite Features

Steering wheel volume control. Seat memory. Radio/CD when it was working.

Suggested Improvements

Need a do it yourself kit especially to trouble shoot electronic failures

Quality with performance
By Ron S

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Having owned numerous SUVs the X5 is by far the best from the standpoint of comfort, performance, handling, looks and just plain fine workmanship. I believe that in order to appreciate this vehicle, you have to love a car that feels and handles like a sports car. Mine has the sport suspension which would not satisfy the meek or the comfort seekers from a standpoint of ride. But when it comes to performsnce and sheer fun driving a SUV, this is the car to own. It's almost as much fun as driving my C5, but not quite as fast. I talked my brother into test driving one, and the next thing I know is he owns one after being a Ford Explorer driver for many years. I would highly recommend this vehicle.

Favorite Features

The automatic transmission that adapts to your driving habits & the ability to use manual shift. The maneuverability & turning radius plus the comfort of the seats. It's not to massive it makes a great car for my wife and children to drive in knowing the car will respond and also be secure.

Suggested Improvements

Add a few creature comforts like auto door locks & lights.

bmw x5
By bmwx10

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I await at least 30 commments about the this car being too heavy from the same folks to takeover any Camaro related thread whining about how they have to wait for the next gen car because the Camaro is 400lbs overweight. V8 powered coupes built on robust RWD platforms are not light- as evidences by the porky 4300lb curb weight of this 650i coupe. This is one of the best BMW i own, there is nothing i will change the only problem was the audio system but i was able to add an iPod interface made for Bmw AND PROBLEM SOLVE [non-permissible content removed]

Favorite Features

handling power leather seats

Suggested Improvements

audio system needs usb or iPhone input

Bad vehicle
By Xavier

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Since I purchased this car it has had nothing but problems. The car has spent more time in the shop than in my garage. Every week is something wrong with this car. I have spent over 9k in repairs and that's not including what the extended warranty company has paid. I am very disappointed in BMW, this car is not the ultimate machine they make it to be.

Favorite Features

none so far

Suggested Improvements

engine, transmission, durable sensors