2003 BMW X5 3.0i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Handling
By Sammorbs

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I enjoy the way it handles when driving. I was able to take the driving course at the manufacturing plant in Spartanburg, SC. What a great experience! I learned how to handle the car in many different situations. Off the road and On. Although I probably will never go off road with my car, that experience was a good taste of what I could expect and a good lesson on how to handle the various controls on my car.

Favorite Features

Handling--Holds cornering and curves very well. Does U-turns in a very small amount of space. Global Positioning System--This item has been helpful many times. We use it as much around our home area as we do when we travel to other states.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see extensions on the sun visor. The cup holder could be a little bigger. The compartments between the front seats should just be one, instead of two, so that you can hold lager objects in there.

Bad Ass Toy
By Beandog

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This SAV is wonderful. I looked at several other vehicles and decided on the X5. Best choice I ever made. The only problem is that I don't get to drive it much since my girlfriend is always taking it. Forcing me to drive her RX300. No comparison in vehicles. If your going SUV go X5!!

Favorite Features

Stereo is fine if you know how to work with them. Increase the bass and Treble and the stereo sounds good. I also love the ride on this vehicle. Go for the sport package as it gives a better ride.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders suck. That is all I can say about that.

2002 BMW X5 3.0
By Denny73

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

What a highway cruiser! So quiet-- solid at high speeds. I bought it because of the safety features and the ride. I had a '95 525i that I sold when I left D.C. and bought the X5 because I wanted the 5-series ride with full-time AWD. ONLY regret is that I did not pay the $150 for the heated steering wheel--would have been a great addition to the heated seats.

Favorite Features

Fit finish--3-year/30,000 free maintenance (They even change wiper blades for free)and that solid BMW ride.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the latch on the rear door--just does not work right. 50 more horsepower would be about right. And bring back the burgandy color please!

Great fun to drive
By JeanM

2003 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is the third BWM I've owned, but the first X5. The X5 drives more like a sedan than a truck. It accelerates and coners great! A friend I took for a drive commented on how smooth it drove. He said he would be afraid if he owned one, he would get speeding tickets all the time because he wouldn't realize how fast he was driving. I considered buying the 4.6, but the salesman said I'd have to buy snow tires for the winter and I didn't feel I should have to do that for an SUV.

Favorite Features

Great looking vehicle. Also, I've avaraged 17 MPG - not bad for 290hp SUV! Great combination of a sedan and an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

The vehicle should include a compass as standard instead of having to spend $200 to replace the rearview mirror with a compass version.

Best car I ever owned
By D Gisby

2003 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The best car I ever owned. This SAV is a star - fun to drive, classy, and most important SAFE. I have the sport version and the only thing i don't like is the fact the tires are different sizes and you cannot rotate them, so you must replace every 20k miles; they are very expensive tires too! I'm going to drive it until its wheels fall off!!!

Favorite Features

Sport Option - makes it worthwhile to drive.

BMW x5 3.0i loaded-quality problems
By jmoriarty

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Lots of mfg/assembly quality bugs. rear lid pops opne when it rains/cold, Doors freeze easily and you cant keep them closed when they do. Poor handling in linited snow conditions Vehicle doesn't always start on first turn of key(fails 7/10 times) Power Windows fell off runners had to have service fix them but they diod a poor kob at removing/reinstalling door panels Alarm system goes off when it is hot out Window shades break easily Navigation system can only be shut down by shutting down the car. No SW control to turn off system. Note I have spoken to at leastthree other owners and they have experienced 95% of these same issues

Favorite Features

Ergonomics. Everything for control is at your fingertips

Suggested Improvements

Fix quality MFG/Asembly bugs to justify 50K price tag on this vehicle

Allmost a 10
By kstory

2003 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I love this SAV. They could have made the cup holders bigger. Other than that it rocks. Get Sat. Radio too, i love it.

Favorite Features

Sat. Radio, The handling

Suggested Improvements

Bigger Cup Holder

Great BMW
By jmoore

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was never a big fan of BMW until now. My 2003 X5 is an excellent vehicle. It is fun to drive - it feels like a sports car but has much more room. The only draw-back is its capacity to carry any substantial payload.

Favorite Features

Handling and feel

Suggested Improvements

A bit larger

damn good truck
By jackoff

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

best truck ever. real nice. like colors. gas milage not to good.

Favorite Features

all of it

Suggested Improvements

bigger

THE BOMB
By ZEEMAN

2003 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

THE BEST TRUCK MADE BAR NONE. DRIVES LIKE A LUXURY SEDAN, AND IT FEELS LIKE A TANK

Favorite Features

THE POWER, AND HANDLING