Used 2003 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 230 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Fun vs. Frustration
By uncbears34

2003 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned trucks and SUVs all my life and I have yet to own one that is as much fun to drive as the X5. You pass other drivers like they're in reverse and it corners and brakes like a BMW should. It's one of the best looking vehicles on the road and no matter how hard you push it, it wants more. However, every other month another sensor or display light would go off or hose will leak or seal break and I'd get hit with another $500 bill (at a minimum) to fix something that just shouldn't go wrong (door locks, airbag light, etc.). It was always something. If you have the patience and another vehicle to rely on, it's a great car. If it's your only car, check your roadside assistance.

Looks, comfort, performance, features/amenities. An absolute pleasure to drive. Everything a car/truck/SUV should strive to be when running properly.

Reliability. It's just not that good at the day-to-day stuff. For the purchase price, many of the kinks should've been worked out.

No competition!
By MTodd

2003 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

My X5 4.4i is the best of 20 cars I have owned! It pulls my wakeboard boat with ease and looks great doing it. The cold weather pkg even finds it uses in the summer (heated seats on cold lake nights)! This SUV drives and rides like a car, any my friends with Tahoes and Armadas get jealous after driving it. Doesn't have the most storage in the back, but enough to take camping and haul the kids (and their stuff) around. It has been a pure pleasure to own and to drive. I look forward to upgrading to new 2007+ body style and the third row seat for the kids' friends. I have never met another X5 owner who did not love their car. So, go get one already. :)

Front and rear heated seats, climate control, multi-direction seats, leather surface, and the oil change indicator since it runs synthetic and can go for 10,000+ miles per oil chg.

Larger trunk area (addressed with '07 model), third row seat (also addressed in '07 model).

Teutonic titan
By browntrout

2003 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

My x5 has 75k on it. I use it for working in 7 counties in norcal. With the exception of a sometimes humorous glitch with the speaker telephone, it has not had one single repair except consumables. The engine and transmission have performed flawlessly, and on the rare occasion that I have had it in really serious snow, it has been a panzer tank. This is my 4th BMW, and I have had two Saabs, two Mercedes, a Volvo, a Trooper, and a Grand Cherokee--not counting beaters when I was a youngster. Nothing is even close. Fuel economy is great when compared to other v8 suvs. The Grand Cherokee was an outhouse on wheels comparatively.

Looks, performance, handling and reliability.

$2500 for a tow package? Come on. Insane.

X5 4.6
By albie alphin

2003 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Fun to drive, very fast. Living in Boston where it is full of annoying potholes it is tough on the suspension. Year round Toyo Prox tires are the way to go! I am getting bored now so I am purchasing some Dinan products to enhance performance and sound.

Acceleration, handling, sound system, aggressive stance, 20 inch rims with WIDE tires.

Nav is horrible, that's it though.

X5 Boy!!!
By X5 Boy!!!

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my X5 as a certified Pre-Owned from my local BMW dealer. My X5 is my first BMW. I love the handling, acceleration and reliability. It is solid and safe on the road and at freeway speed. It has all the benifits that a brand new one would have. It comes with the 100,000 extended warranty and free maintenance service, so I pay nothing for all services. After the first three weeks of my purchase, I had problems with the lights in the dashboard and the transmission, so I took it for a free repair.

Sports, premium, cold packages and loading board.

Better sound system that is comparable to the Nakamichi or Mark Levinson systems that Lexus has. Gas mileage is low. I get average of 16 mpg in city and 24 on freeway. The vehicle is heavy so low gas mileage is expected.