2003 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
WHat a fun!!!!!
By kochabamba on 03/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the best SUV out there. Fun, safe, reliable and great design.

Other SUVs should make one too..
By FANtAsTIC on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The best performance I have had in an SUV, have had a Suburban, loved that, had a Chrysler ML, hated it!, but now this is brand new, and the best one out there. Gas mileage not the best, but then with SUVs I have become accustomed to that fact. Other than that, the best fit/finish, the most masculine looking yet highest style out of all. Definitely not a minivan trying to be an SUV. Wouldn't even consider anything else now as a replacement when it's time for a new car.

X5: Fun to drive to the shop!
By x5driver on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

X5 drives like a dream! The 4.4 that we own has excellent responsivness on the road, no body roll [unlike other vehicles in SUV category]. Switching to Sports allowed me to zoom to 120 mph without the car straining. Truly excellent BMW-like performance. Unfortunately... the car was built in the US and it shows: trunk light poped- out, sun shades hooks broke, two recalls, auto-level computer failed, GPS had navigational bugs, etc. Nothing critical but annoying and time- consumming. Great, safe, fun car to drive but it was rushed out the door and the "little things" were not built to BMW-appropriate level.

not a reliable vehicle
By pcc on 02/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

A very disappointing vehicle. Our X5 is in the shop an average of every six weeks for various problems. It has been recalled several times. The interior door handle finish is peeling off on all four handles (supposedly, this is "normal" wear and tear - sure, if this were a ten year old car!). The steering wheel makes a horrible grinding noise in cold weather (three visits, not fixed - a piece fell out recently). The latest problem - the seal on the sunroof is starting to fail. This vehicle is not up to usual BMW standards. We are getting rid of it this week.

Probably the Best SUV on the market
By xsnowboarder587 on 02/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

the BMW X5 has got to be the best SUV out there. It has all the elements of a fast sporrts car , but still retains muscle in a SUV. The X5 can grabs turns and sails on smoothly. It brakes are just the same. It stops extremely well with a minimal amount of pressure. Ohhh, and theres the ever so popular speed factor, and man can this SUV fly. Stomp your feet on the gas and hold on because yor back is smashed into the chair. Not that that's bad because the chairs are very comfortable. The interior is very elegant unlike many other Suvs.

U-G-L-Y!!!
By Snowchica on 02/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

My husband *made* me test drive this car because of it's reputation, quality and prestige. I'll admit, it drives like a dream. But I cannot see myself driving something so ugly! The car reminds me of one of those old vacuum cleaners with the hose attachment. The front end looks nice, but I hate getting stuck behind one on the road, the ass end is so ugly! If it was prettier, I would've definitely bought it. Bought a GORGEOUS (and less expensive, and American made) metallic red Lincoln Aviator instead.

BMW X5 3.0i
By fontenot on 02/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Beautiful car. Really fun to drive. Larger than expected. Outstanding handling. Comfortable seating.

I love It!!!
By prudentbuyer on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car. I (fortunately) just sold my 98 ML320 and the difference between the X5 and the ML is unbelievable.

Too bad . . . . . . . .
By PAX5formerowner on 01/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I loved my X5 and purchased with all available options including the Nav system. Loved to drive, loved the look, but many, many quality problems. Had it in the shop 13 times for numerous problems. Traded for a Toyota Highlander and glad I did. Feel I came down a notch as far as looks and loved the feel of the bemer, however too inconvenient taking it for service every month. Need dependability and found it in the Highlander.

Unreliable $60,000 SUV
By Jerrygee on 01/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Reliability has been less then stellar. Numerous warranty issues and road side assistance questions quality control. The car is fun to drive and can be nicely equipped at a price. A base $40,000 car soon goes to close to $60,000. For that kind of money I expect more.