Used 2003 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 230 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 BMW X5

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Don't Buy X 5 maintenance nightmare
By bmw x 5

2003 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Have spent over 3,000 replacing transfer case belts pumps cooling fan assembly battery pulley

selling it

better quality have had 7's 5's and 3's until now never will buy a BMW go to Mercedes they stand behind products was way out of warranty and they replaced a water pump BMW falling apart

And they call it a truck
By clerario

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my 03 X5. I take care of it like a baby and it takes care of me. I don't run up the mileage and relatively speaking it has.t cost too much to maintain. When something begins to go wrong I fix it and this minimizes major repair costs. I had a 4 year warranty and extended it 2 more years. The first 4 year warranty was great but the second 2 year warranty not so good. 3 items I am disappointed with would be the stereo (although it is better than my premium Honda sound), the digital reading on the dash board are beginning to go away and when I roll down the back window(s) and drive over 30 mph, the sound is deafening. Otherwise my BMW X5 runs like a top.

The grill, the smooth ride and power, I only have the 3.0 and it's fine.

Radio, digital readings on dash, rear window sound.

Mixed Review
By Volvosleeper

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought used with 20,000 Miles, Loved appearance inside and out. Immediately noted the AM/FM reception in Northern Minnesota was the worst of my experience with over 30 vehicles. Dealer denied there was a problem in 3 visits. Finally told me "95% of owners don't listen to AM anyways". Communications with corporate BMW were very poor. The person in NJ was experienced at deflecting complaints, but knew little about cars. Twice had engine problems under warranty where car blew black smoke out of exhaust. Now at 95,000 the dash displays are missing some digits and the fix is too expensive. One Key Fob is dead and you can't fix yourself, wheels are corroded, dealer experience has been poor.

Appearance, Ride, Rear seat adjustment, rear seat climate control. handling MPG

Very poor sound system. Overly complex displays and need to take eyes off road. Plastic parts that fail. Exterior trim that fails. Rattles. Too Expensive brake replacement

Bad vehicle
By Xavier

2003 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Since I purchased this car it has had nothing but problems. The car has spent more time in the shop than in my garage. Every week is something wrong with this car. I have spent over 9k in repairs and that's not including what the extended warranty company has paid. I am very disappointed in BMW, this car is not the ultimate machine they make it to be.

none so far

engine, transmission, durable sensors

Mixed bag
By francious

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Performance, appearance, gas mileage are all excellent. The interior trim is not holding up and the controls are terrible. AM radio reception is terrible and the controls on the steering wheel are much too complicated in comparison to the Mercedes and Honda I drive. Cruise Control has 4 buttons with symbols and must be actuated whenever you start the vehicle. The sound system has no dial to go from stations only a button to advance. I would never buy another BMW. I'll stick to Mercedes and Hondas. This is a fun to drive ride and it is a shame they let the little things get in the way of satisfaction for people like me.

Clam shell hatch, rear seats that adjust. Long adjustment on front seats. Appearance. Acceleration and reasonable gas mileage for an SUV.

Simplify controls. Put in a decent sound system and antenna. Better quality plastics and faux wood in the interior. I keep cars for 150,000 miles and I don't expect the interior to get shabby.