2003 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
No competition!
By MTodd on 05/27/09 17:17 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

My X5 4.4i is the best of 20 cars I have owned! It pulls my wakeboard boat with ease and looks great doing it. The cold weather pkg even finds it uses in the summer (heated seats on cold lake nights)! This SUV drives and rides like a car, any my friends with Tahoes and Armadas get jealous after driving it. Doesn't have the most storage in the back, but enough to take camping and haul the kids (and their stuff) around. It has been a pure pleasure to own and to drive. I look forward to upgrading to new 2007+ body style and the third row seat for the kids' friends. I have never met another X5 owner who did not love their car. So, go get one already. :)

Teutonic titan
By browntrout on 02/28/09 06:40 AM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

My x5 has 75k on it. I use it for working in 7 counties in norcal. With the exception of a sometimes humorous glitch with the speaker telephone, it has not had one single repair except consumables. The engine and transmission have performed flawlessly, and on the rare occasion that I have had it in really serious snow, it has been a panzer tank. This is my 4th BMW, and I have had two Saabs, two Mercedes, a Volvo, a Trooper, and a Grand Cherokee--not counting beaters when I was a youngster. Nothing is even close. Fuel economy is great when compared to other v8 suvs. The Grand Cherokee was an outhouse on wheels comparatively.

X5 4.6
By albie alphin on 11/17/08 17:54 PM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Fun to drive, very fast. Living in Boston where it is full of annoying potholes it is tough on the suspension. Year round Toyo Prox tires are the way to go! I am getting bored now so I am purchasing some Dinan products to enhance performance and sound.

X5 Boy!!!
By X5 Boy!!! on 05/29/08 23:07 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my X5 as a certified Pre-Owned from my local BMW dealer. My X5 is my first BMW. I love the handling, acceleration and reliability. It is solid and safe on the road and at freeway speed. It has all the benifits that a brand new one would have. It comes with the 100,000 extended warranty and free maintenance service, so I pay nothing for all services. After the first three weeks of my purchase, I had problems with the lights in the dashboard and the transmission, so I took it for a free repair.

X5 Review from Kenya
By James Wachira on 05/24/08 06:21 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love the vehicle. I imported from Singapore with 38000 Km on the odometer. I enjoy the car. However, I have experienced two problems that I have not been able to solve. One the radio/CD just went off whilst driving and havent been able to put it on since. Today I switched on the car and could not start, the computer display indicated code. A few times the boot has refused to open, but it would later open after a day or so, seems to be an electronic problem Can someone provide some solutions on this and share solutions if had experienced same thing. Unfortunately I dont have a manual for the car

2003 BMW X5
By autooracle on 04/18/08 11:03 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great car. Just normal wear and tear maintenenace issues. Handling is great. Yes it's an SUV, not a Porsche. Fuel economy is fine for what it is. Performance out of the 3.0 is all you would need unless you are towing.

Great design - poor build quality
By deniska on 02/12/08 12:41 PM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My X5 (2003, 3.0L V6) has been great for the first 2 years, but then literally started to fall apart. During the next 2 years I had ~45 visits to the certified dealers to repair constantly failing electrical equipment. Locks, censors, numerous bulbs, dash board panel, electrical mirrors, alarm system are just a few of the problems that the car had during 2 year period. All repairs were covered by warranty, but the car spent more than 60 days in repair shop. Finally I got tired of constant problems and sold it.

Careful before you buy an X5 used!
By Rizzo on 12/29/07 13:55 PM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Bought new in 2003 and worked great when it was under warranty but everything went wrong when the car reached 50,000 miles this year. Cooling system is leaking everywhere, power steering is leaking fluid at bushings, parking distance control often stops working, and much more. It is a fun, comfortable SUV that is a blast to drive but compared to the last BMW we owned (a 1993 3 series) it is not very reliable ($5000+ in less than 10 weeks is unacceptable).

Fine tuning your X5 is an Art
By Jim Fischer on 11/12/07 03:12 AM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Ride quality with a 3.0 W/Sport. Bouncing of the ride is extremely annoying for the passengers and driver at factory settings. The tire air settings on the driver's side door do not represent the dynamics air pressure has on this vehichle at all. I have 255/55r/18" tires Michelin mxv M&S. Mileage was 13 mph to 18 at very best. I looked on the sidewall of the tire and a pressure of 51 lbs. I put in 47 lbs of pressure on all 4 tires. Ride is incredibly smooth, over bumps smooth freeway. The extra pressure gives the SAV 20.8 mpg aggressive driving all day long. 26 MPG @ 60 MPH with cruise. Much faster, better cornering. The solution to bounce. Start at 51 go dn 37p

BMW X5 3.0i
By Northeast on 01/28/07 06:09 AM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The SUV is very nice. Very comfortable and easy to drive. I have owned since new. Good build quality, many nice features. Operation has been trouble free. Ride is slightly "bouncy" on bumpy roads. Performance of engine is fine. I would recommend it.