Used 2003 BMW X5 3.0i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

2003 BMW X5 3.0i
By ppsnow

2003 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have this car for 3 months now and I put about 3000 miles including a trip to Myrtle Beach. I enjoy driving this car. My wife loves it and my son wants to drive anywhere we take this car! So far so good. MPG about 20 highway around 17 in the city. I expected better! The only despoilment is the stereo and the fading of all the readout on the instrument panel. For a 50K + car when new is a disappointment! Other then that I very happy with the car. No problems so far other replacing the rear window regulator in the first week! Very easy to do and I was done in 20 min. Shop around for parts. You will find big difference in money. As a used car and paying only 1/4 of original price is GOOD!

Favorite Features

Comfortable in long trips. Plenty of room for 4 passengers. Power reclining rear seats. Build quality. Driving satisfaction.

Suggested Improvements

I know the 2007 and above are better so that will be my next car is the 2009 35d X5. But I have to wait a couple more years to get cheaper then the 40k they demand now as a used.

And they call it a truck
By clerario

2003 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my 03 X5. I take care of it like a baby and it takes care of me. I don't run up the mileage and relatively speaking it has.t cost too much to maintain. When something begins to go wrong I fix it and this minimizes major repair costs. I had a 4 year warranty and extended it 2 more years. The first 4 year warranty was great but the second 2 year warranty not so good. 3 items I am disappointed with would be the stereo (although it is better than my premium Honda sound), the digital reading on the dash board are beginning to go away and when I roll down the back window(s) and drive over 30 mph, the sound is deafening. Otherwise my BMW X5 runs like a top.

Favorite Features

The grill, the smooth ride and power, I only have the 3.0 and it's fine.

Suggested Improvements

Radio, digital readings on dash, rear window sound.

Mixed Review
By Volvosleeper

2003 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought used with 20,000 Miles, Loved appearance inside and out. Immediately noted the AM/FM reception in Northern Minnesota was the worst of my experience with over 30 vehicles. Dealer denied there was a problem in 3 visits. Finally told me "95% of owners don't listen to AM anyways". Communications with corporate BMW were very poor. The person in NJ was experienced at deflecting complaints, but knew little about cars. Twice had engine problems under warranty where car blew black smoke out of exhaust. Now at 95,000 the dash displays are missing some digits and the fix is too expensive. One Key Fob is dead and you can't fix yourself, wheels are corroded, dealer experience has been poor.

Favorite Features

Appearance, Ride, Rear seat adjustment, rear seat climate control. handling MPG

Suggested Improvements

Very poor sound system. Overly complex displays and need to take eyes off road. Plastic parts that fail. Exterior trim that fails. Rattles. Too Expensive brake replacement

Mixed bag
By francious

2003 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Performance, appearance, gas mileage are all excellent. The interior trim is not holding up and the controls are terrible. AM radio reception is terrible and the controls on the steering wheel are much too complicated in comparison to the Mercedes and Honda I drive. Cruise Control has 4 buttons with symbols and must be actuated whenever you start the vehicle. The sound system has no dial to go from stations only a button to advance. I would never buy another BMW. I'll stick to Mercedes and Hondas. This is a fun to drive ride and it is a shame they let the little things get in the way of satisfaction for people like me.

Favorite Features

Clam shell hatch, rear seats that adjust. Long adjustment on front seats. Appearance. Acceleration and reasonable gas mileage for an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Simplify controls. Put in a decent sound system and antenna. Better quality plastics and faux wood in the interior. I keep cars for 150,000 miles and I don't expect the interior to get shabby.

X5 Boy!!!
By X5 Boy!!!

2003 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my X5 as a certified Pre-Owned from my local BMW dealer. My X5 is my first BMW. I love the handling, acceleration and reliability. It is solid and safe on the road and at freeway speed. It has all the benifits that a brand new one would have. It comes with the 100,000 extended warranty and free maintenance service, so I pay nothing for all services. After the first three weeks of my purchase, I had problems with the lights in the dashboard and the transmission, so I took it for a free repair.

Favorite Features

Sports, premium, cold packages and loading board.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound system that is comparable to the Nakamichi or Mark Levinson systems that Lexus has. Gas mileage is low. I get average of 16 mpg in city and 24 on freeway. The vehicle is heavy so low gas mileage is expected.