2003 BMW X5 4.4i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

2003 bmw x5.
By georgefelix

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

this is the worse car than I ever own , in just 6 month I do spend more than $ 4000 dollar on repair the ultimate pi-- on sh--t on the road , zero quality . over all , so expensive parts and mechanic labor , is fully madness.

Favorite Features

the worse car I even own

Suggested Improvements

zero quality and reliability

bmw x5
By bmwx10

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I await at least 30 commments about the this car being too heavy from the same folks to takeover any Camaro related thread whining about how they have to wait for the next gen car because the Camaro is 400lbs overweight. V8 powered coupes built on robust RWD platforms are not light- as evidences by the porky 4300lb curb weight of this 650i coupe. This is one of the best BMW i own, there is nothing i will change the only problem was the audio system but i was able to add an iPod interface made for Bmw AND PROBLEM SOLVE [non-permissible content removed]

Favorite Features

handling power leather seats

Suggested Improvements

audio system needs usb or iPhone input

Don't Buy X 5 maintenance nightmare
By bmw x 5

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Have spent over 3,000 replacing transfer case belts pumps cooling fan assembly battery pulley

Favorite Features

selling it

Suggested Improvements

better quality have had 7's 5's and 3's until now never will buy a BMW go to Mercedes they stand behind products was way out of warranty and they replaced a water pump BMW falling apart

Fun vs. Frustration
By uncbears34

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned trucks and SUVs all my life and I have yet to own one that is as much fun to drive as the X5. You pass other drivers like they're in reverse and it corners and brakes like a BMW should. It's one of the best looking vehicles on the road and no matter how hard you push it, it wants more. However, every other month another sensor or display light would go off or hose will leak or seal break and I'd get hit with another $500 bill (at a minimum) to fix something that just shouldn't go wrong (door locks, airbag light, etc.). It was always something. If you have the patience and another vehicle to rely on, it's a great car. If it's your only car, check your roadside assistance.

Favorite Features

Looks, comfort, performance, features/amenities. An absolute pleasure to drive. Everything a car/truck/SUV should strive to be when running properly.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. It's just not that good at the day-to-day stuff. For the purchase price, many of the kinks should've been worked out.

No competition!
By MTodd

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

My X5 4.4i is the best of 20 cars I have owned! It pulls my wakeboard boat with ease and looks great doing it. The cold weather pkg even finds it uses in the summer (heated seats on cold lake nights)! This SUV drives and rides like a car, any my friends with Tahoes and Armadas get jealous after driving it. Doesn't have the most storage in the back, but enough to take camping and haul the kids (and their stuff) around. It has been a pure pleasure to own and to drive. I look forward to upgrading to new 2007+ body style and the third row seat for the kids' friends. I have never met another X5 owner who did not love their car. So, go get one already. :)

Favorite Features

Front and rear heated seats, climate control, multi-direction seats, leather surface, and the oil change indicator since it runs synthetic and can go for 10,000+ miles per oil chg.

Suggested Improvements

Larger trunk area (addressed with '07 model), third row seat (also addressed in '07 model).

Teutonic titan
By browntrout

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

My x5 has 75k on it. I use it for working in 7 counties in norcal. With the exception of a sometimes humorous glitch with the speaker telephone, it has not had one single repair except consumables. The engine and transmission have performed flawlessly, and on the rare occasion that I have had it in really serious snow, it has been a panzer tank. This is my 4th BMW, and I have had two Saabs, two Mercedes, a Volvo, a Trooper, and a Grand Cherokee--not counting beaters when I was a youngster. Nothing is even close. Fuel economy is great when compared to other v8 suvs. The Grand Cherokee was an outhouse on wheels comparatively.

Favorite Features

Looks, performance, handling and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

$2500 for a tow package? Come on. Insane.

Truly Ultimate
By CMPONY

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Flat out, the best all around sport-performance-luxury vehicle I've ever driven. Despite minor problems with the door mirror retractor motor and the dash computer display (both replaced under warranty), I am totally in love with this vehicle. The honeymoon still goes on even after eight months of ownership.

Favorite Features

Performance, performance, performance! I've owned V-8 Mustangs for the past 20 years (and still do), and the BMW is as thrilling to drive as my Cobra.

Suggested Improvements

BMW really needs to provide some useful information on the audio receiver display, especially with satellite radio in use. I hope this has been corrected in later model years.

2003 Used BMW X5
By johnsc

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Love this car. had an Acura. much more upscale. More Power. I miss XM radio. Truck very responsive, quick,stable, safe. Had it almost 3 months no issues.

Favorite Features

4.4i

Suggested Improvements

xm radio. Move interior door handles lower to provide more legroom

Quality with performance
By Ron S

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Having owned numerous SUVs the X5 is by far the best from the standpoint of comfort, performance, handling, looks and just plain fine workmanship. I believe that in order to appreciate this vehicle, you have to love a car that feels and handles like a sports car. Mine has the sport suspension which would not satisfy the meek or the comfort seekers from a standpoint of ride. But when it comes to performsnce and sheer fun driving a SUV, this is the car to own. It's almost as much fun as driving my C5, but not quite as fast. I talked my brother into test driving one, and the next thing I know is he owns one after being a Ford Explorer driver for many years. I would highly recommend this vehicle.

Favorite Features

The automatic transmission that adapts to your driving habits & the ability to use manual shift. The maneuverability & turning radius plus the comfort of the seats. It's not to massive it makes a great car for my wife and children to drive in knowing the car will respond and also be secure.

Suggested Improvements

Add a few creature comforts like auto door locks & lights.

Superb!
By Loren Reuter

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Handles like a sports car.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth Wireless Phone System

Suggested Improvements

Gas Mileage, but it's not bad for a V-8