2003 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
An honest X5 review
By burts_dog on 06/02/13 11:59 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Took a chance buying a used 2003 X5 4.6 with over 80,000 miles. Have put around 3,000 miles on it so far. Not a commuter car. Best as a hot rod Sunday driver or to the lake towing 2 wave runners or a boat. Horrible radio. You'll want to totally replace the radio 'head unit' so factor in about $1,000 for that if you DIY. Very nice seats. Fit and finish for 2003 exceptional. Ride too harsh for most people, but lower tire pressure will help. One thing critics overlook is that this machine was built to tow 6,000 pounds! So much power. Quick at 0-60 in 6.5. More than you will ever use. Could you take this car to 300K? Maybe, if you are gentle. But prepare to pay the $. It's really a 2nd car.

Bad vehicle
By Xavier on 10/15/09 12:44 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Since I purchased this car it has had nothing but problems. The car has spent more time in the shop than in my garage. Every week is something wrong with this car. I have spent over 9k in repairs and that's not including what the extended warranty company has paid. I am very disappointed in BMW, this car is not the ultimate machine they make it to be.

X5 4.6
By albie alphin on 11/17/08 17:54 PM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Fun to drive, very fast. Living in Boston where it is full of annoying potholes it is tough on the suspension. Year round Toyo Prox tires are the way to go! I am getting bored now so I am purchasing some Dinan products to enhance performance and sound.

Careful before you buy an X5 used!
By Rizzo on 12/29/07 13:55 PM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Bought new in 2003 and worked great when it was under warranty but everything went wrong when the car reached 50,000 miles this year. Cooling system is leaking everywhere, power steering is leaking fluid at bushings, parking distance control often stops working, and much more. It is a fun, comfortable SUV that is a blast to drive but compared to the last BMW we owned (a 1993 3 series) it is not very reliable ($5000+ in less than 10 weeks is unacceptable).

More Fun than Comfortable
By Peter C on 02/09/06 19:25 PM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

While I love driving my 4.6IS there are times that I wish I had bought the 4.4 in hopes that it would be a firm and sporty suspension without riding like a corvette (but it's great to be able to keep up with most sports cars). The 4.6IS is incredible fun, awesome styling, and full of luxury. My only criticism is that it doesn't ride as smooth as my Lexus LS400 I traded in for it (no surprise there). I would buy another one tomorrow...

Sports Car Performance, Business Require
By Art Lippois on 02/10/05 01:00 AM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Want a car that takes you back to the muscle car power of the 60's, but with the comfort of a cadillac on long trips? Do you need a ride to comfortably take customers to sites both in urban and rural areas during all kinds of weather? Want the space to carry display items or large boxes for business? Do you have to travel 300 to 400 miles sometimes at night in unknown areas with little or no open gas stations because of the hour of your travel? Finally, do you want to have to use your cruise control because there is no way you can tell your speed without looking at the speedometer?If this sounds like a vehicle that fits your requirements, then the BMW X5 is for you. All class, all smiles.

JUST AWESOME
By DENNIS SEHNAL on 08/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is the best car I have ever been in, owned, drove, etc.

Exceeds my expectations
By Dan Bray on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Awkward ergonomics compared to Lexus...but that's no suprise. Superior handeling to any Lexus I've leased (LS 400, GS300 & SC430). More solid build than Lexus. As comfortable to drive as Lexus and Mercedes. Most stylish and sophisticated SUV (Cayenne & Mercedes SUVs close 2nd). Awkward & noisy A/C. Worse-than-average SUV fuel consumption. Amazing acceleration. Excellent sound system, although quirky controls. DVD Nav is inferior to Lexus' DVD Nav. Smaller cargo room doesn't bother me...and I'm an interior designer. Always get compliments on its styling.

i love this car
By Dr Tony Kahmann on 10/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

handles like a sport car. safest car on the road, in my opinion. absolutely no wind noise,no feeling of speed even if you are driving 90 plus.design of body gives almost perfect protection from car doors of other vehs. huge brakes that stop you virtually on the proverbial dime. I had three 928 porsches before this car and i would never go back. you look down and can really see all the other cars etc.

Love it
By Danielx54.6 on 09/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

When i first drove it, i just loved it, it was so easy to drive and just loved the look!