2003 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
2003 bmw x5.
By georgefelix on 08/27/14 09:05 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

this is the worse car than I ever own , in just 6 month I do spend more than $ 4000 dollar on repair the ultimate pi-- on sh--t on the road , zero quality . over all , so expensive parts and mechanic labor , is fully madness.

An honest X5 review
By burts_dog on 06/02/13 11:59 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Took a chance buying a used 2003 X5 4.6 with over 80,000 miles. Have put around 3,000 miles on it so far. Not a commuter car. Best as a hot rod Sunday driver or to the lake towing 2 wave runners or a boat. Horrible radio. You'll want to totally replace the radio 'head unit' so factor in about $1,000 for that if you DIY. Very nice seats. Fit and finish for 2003 exceptional. Ride too harsh for most people, but lower tire pressure will help. One thing critics overlook is that this machine was built to tow 6,000 pounds! So much power. Quick at 0-60 in 6.5. More than you will ever use. Could you take this car to 300K? Maybe, if you are gentle. But prepare to pay the $. It's really a 2nd car.

bmw x5
By bmwx10 on 01/23/12 18:49 PM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I await at least 30 commments about the this car being too heavy from the same folks to takeover any Camaro related thread whining about how they have to wait for the next gen car because the Camaro is 400lbs overweight. V8 powered coupes built on robust RWD platforms are not light- as evidences by the porky 4300lb curb weight of this 650i coupe. This is one of the best BMW i own, there is nothing i will change the only problem was the audio system but i was able to add an iPod interface made for Bmw AND PROBLEM SOLVE [non-permissible content removed]

2003 BMW X5 3.0i
By ppsnow on 10/06/11 08:02 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have this car for 3 months now and I put about 3000 miles including a trip to Myrtle Beach. I enjoy driving this car. My wife loves it and my son wants to drive anywhere we take this car! So far so good. MPG about 20 highway around 17 in the city. I expected better! The only despoilment is the stereo and the fading of all the readout on the instrument panel. For a 50K + car when new is a disappointment! Other then that I very happy with the car. No problems so far other replacing the rear window regulator in the first week! Very easy to do and I was done in 20 min. Shop around for parts. You will find big difference in money. As a used car and paying only 1/4 of original price is GOOD!

Don't Buy X 5 maintenance nightmare
By bmw x 5 on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Have spent over 3,000 replacing transfer case belts pumps cooling fan assembly battery pulley

And they call it a truck
By clerario on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my 03 X5. I take care of it like a baby and it takes care of me. I don't run up the mileage and relatively speaking it has.t cost too much to maintain. When something begins to go wrong I fix it and this minimizes major repair costs. I had a 4 year warranty and extended it 2 more years. The first 4 year warranty was great but the second 2 year warranty not so good. 3 items I am disappointed with would be the stereo (although it is better than my premium Honda sound), the digital reading on the dash board are beginning to go away and when I roll down the back window(s) and drive over 30 mph, the sound is deafening. Otherwise my BMW X5 runs like a top.

Mixed Review
By Volvosleeper on 05/20/10 05:53 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought used with 20,000 Miles, Loved appearance inside and out. Immediately noted the AM/FM reception in Northern Minnesota was the worst of my experience with over 30 vehicles. Dealer denied there was a problem in 3 visits. Finally told me "95% of owners don't listen to AM anyways". Communications with corporate BMW were very poor. The person in NJ was experienced at deflecting complaints, but knew little about cars. Twice had engine problems under warranty where car blew black smoke out of exhaust. Now at 95,000 the dash displays are missing some digits and the fix is too expensive. One Key Fob is dead and you can't fix yourself, wheels are corroded, dealer experience has been poor.

Bad vehicle
By Xavier on 10/15/09 12:44 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Since I purchased this car it has had nothing but problems. The car has spent more time in the shop than in my garage. Every week is something wrong with this car. I have spent over 9k in repairs and that's not including what the extended warranty company has paid. I am very disappointed in BMW, this car is not the ultimate machine they make it to be.

Mixed bag
By francious on 07/12/09 19:05 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Performance, appearance, gas mileage are all excellent. The interior trim is not holding up and the controls are terrible. AM radio reception is terrible and the controls on the steering wheel are much too complicated in comparison to the Mercedes and Honda I drive. Cruise Control has 4 buttons with symbols and must be actuated whenever you start the vehicle. The sound system has no dial to go from stations only a button to advance. I would never buy another BMW. I'll stick to Mercedes and Hondas. This is a fun to drive ride and it is a shame they let the little things get in the way of satisfaction for people like me.

Fun vs. Frustration
By uncbears34 on 07/10/09 14:53 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned trucks and SUVs all my life and I have yet to own one that is as much fun to drive as the X5. You pass other drivers like they're in reverse and it corners and brakes like a BMW should. It's one of the best looking vehicles on the road and no matter how hard you push it, it wants more. However, every other month another sensor or display light would go off or hose will leak or seal break and I'd get hit with another $500 bill (at a minimum) to fix something that just shouldn't go wrong (door locks, airbag light, etc.). It was always something. If you have the patience and another vehicle to rely on, it's a great car. If it's your only car, check your roadside assistance.