2002 BMW X5 Consumer Review: Love It, But Wouldn't Buy It A

2002 BMW X5 - Consumer Review

Love It, But Wouldn't Buy It Again.
By KAV on

2002 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

SAV drives and handles awesome. I've loved it since owning it. It is quick, fast and fun to drive. BUT... it does have its quirks. Speed and weight causes brakes to wear. Electronic issues at times for heat, lights, etc. With 70,000 miles, the real problems have now started (and it looks like I'm not alone). CV boots & front axles had to be replaced. One month later, failed transmission with no warning. Dealer quote for transmission of $8,300 to replace. Although I love this vehicle, research tells me I can expect further serious problems and it is time to get rid of. (Contrast my '92 325i with 150,000 miles and still runs like new.) Now, looking at Porsche Cayenne.

Everything except BMW's quality control. They really got it right with the design, performance and handling.

75,000 miles with failed handling and transmission systems, not to mention the electronic gremlins, is simply unacceptable.