2002 BMW X5 Consumer Review: Fun to drive!

2002 BMW X5 - Consumer Review

3.0i 4dr SUV (3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Fun to drive!
By Dave on

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Wow. Let me say it again. Wow. At first I thought the interior was a bit gaudy, but I got used to it in about 30 minutes. Most of the controls make sense. Only control I have trouble with is the back hatch -- it's placed underneath an overhang next to the hill decsent and at night you can't see it -- but you can see the hill descent (hint: I don't need to see that at night with the interior lights on). Luxury feel, but sporty ride. Very quick & nimble with very little "float". Accelerates quickly, fantastic headlights, I can actually see the road and the brights are BRIGHT. Windshield washer, computer and everything else makes sense. Accessories galore! Stuff I never thought of!!!

Computer, window shades (smart), comfortable seats, programmable positions, "smart mirrors", finish and attention to detail everywhere. Storage and the thing feels so huge inside. Solid (thunk!) doors, nice sun roof (and I don't like sun roofs usually). Climate control is the 1st I've ever liked.

Plastic woodgrain -- hey, it's plastic. I nice plastic look is better than a fake wood grain. Opening of middle hand rest sortof startles passenger (it's in the way), CD storage is useless), CD player is rather mundane/plain, I don't really like the accelerator stickiness, but it may just be me.