Used 2002 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 BMW X5

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

The Bubba Truck
By ToneG

2002 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Been a Ford Chevy man all my life but the wife liked the X5 and to repent for all my fishing and golf trips, and to keep taking them, I reluctantly agreed to buy har an X5. Mistake!!! I'm married to a BMWer Junkie! She loves it and wouldn't have anything else! I too have come to like it more than I'll admit to her. The handling in terrible weather is awsome, and the power is unbelieveable. The brakes are the biggest and best I've ever seen. The car has to be one of the safest ever made.

Favorite Features

The raw power and handling are second to none.

Suggested Improvements

BMW needs to quit using SAV instead of SUV. Some of their competition uses that fact in their claims to be the best, fastest, safest, etc. I would like to see them install the thumb control transmission as on other models. How about an X6, or X7?

Best ever
By jkg5

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Without a doubt, the best car I have ever owned. Great on long trips, in town, etc.

Favorite Features

AWD system

Great SUV
By apparition

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love it. Best handling and most fun to drive SUV ever. I have test almost all of the luxury SUV's on an offroad test track and the BMW performed the best.

Favorite Features

The handling of this SUV on and off road is great.

Suggested Improvements

could improve mileage. I would like to try the diesel that is avail only in Europe.

Fun to Drive 8.0, Reliability 4.0
By OilManJMC JMC

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My first BMW at 12K ball joints replaced,emergiency brk replaced, radio died-water leaking inside. Never been able to get key to consistantly return seat to memory position. Drivers door frozen most Jan, Feb mornings, crawl in through back. HORRIBLE in snow, only good thing is DSC keeps you from sliding off into the weeds. Rain sensing works erraticly. 44K all new brakes incl front rotors, ball joints rattling again. Interior dr pull finish chipped. Do we really HAVE to agree to legalities EVERY time we start the car to use radio, nav system? Heated seats set to RUMP-ROAST.

Favorite Features

Nav system (except that you need a half dozen or more discs to cover the US and a small portion of Canada, cant get from CT to Pittsburgh, PA). Front and rear proximity alarm.

Suggested Improvements

Its all about quality control, make it worth the extra expense to get that blue propeller on the hood!

Pre-owned - satisfied to date!
By Tsagg

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Shopped for an X5 for months. Didn't want to pay the $50,000 for a brand new so I found a 2002 X5 3.0 with only 17,000 miles on it. Extremely clean, hardly driven car. Have driven about 1,000 miles so far and have loved every minute. This is my second BMW (1997 328is) and they are by far the most amazing DRIVING cars in the world. The X5 lives for 80+ m.p.h. on the highway. 3.0 is plenty peppy off the start with plenty of torque but lacks some power at speed. No big deal though. Read all about the electrical problems in the 2001's which made me stay away from them. Paid $37,250 for a 2002 w/every option but NAVIGATION. (bought 7/10/04) w/17,000 miles

Favorite Features

"dancing" Xenon headlights at start up, comfort of seats, on-board computer, rear window shades, sport package with 18" wheels, safety features, performance at highway speeds, very solid/stable.

Suggested Improvements

deeper storage compartment under center arm rest, better gas mileage.