Used 2002 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Great SUV
By thstone

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) 2002 X5 last year (2004) and after a full year of ownership I can say that this is an awesome car! The 3.0 engine has more than enough power and is silky smooth. The interior is typical BMW - clean, crisp, and functional. I opted for the standard handling package (not the sport package) as the ride with the SP was way too harsh for me and my family. Some people complain about the gas mileage, but I have been averaging around 19 MPG (50/50 city/hwy) which isn't too bad. The CPO warranty saved me around $1000 in repairs (new electric window lifts). Overall, I have been very, very happy with car.

Fast, quick handling, smooth, very quiet. No rattles or squeaks. High quality. This is my first car with a sun roof and I love it! Everyone really likes the style of this car. Try not to screw it up with the new design for 2007.

Better sound system. Do NOT add third row seating to the next generation car, keep with the performance design - its a BMW not a Ford.

Great SAV...better then Japanese
By qamarmu

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was in the market for a month, and test drove x5, fx 35 and rx330 and rx 300. Finally picked up the 02 X5 best bet for the money. Got all the looks and style and performance. Sportronic is great, and my wife can drive it too with autonomic mode. Great stability and ride comfort Exterior styling is more aggressive then rx 300 or Rx 330. Its a great performance handling truck

Inside is very functional, and got all the packages including leather seats, sunroof, memory seat (great with me and my wife switching), heated seats dual climate control.

rattle sound from the back / rear hatch

New to the BMW
By arichard

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I recently bought a used 02 X5 4.4, I wished I'd read these articles first. One person said he had problems with the mirror and seat memory -- ditto here. I have wasted time on several trips to the dealer to be told "We can't find a problem." No code found. I can't get a trailer hitch because they're on back order. I cannot get an aftermarket rear entertainment system because no one has any positive experience getting them put in. However, it is a mechanical beast. It is a jack-up sports car and it moves. Some days I think about getting rid of it but when I clean it up, I like it, and other do too.

Handling, power and acceleration. Great looks.

Work on electronic/electrical integrity. In dash CD changer,navigation systems, available accessories that are not on back log. More room in the cargo area would be a plus. Standard Bluetooth technology and standard satellite radio capablities built in. Reasonably priced DVD players.

Best car yet
By Dante Verdi

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned way too many cars, but I enjoy this one by far the best, and I sold a Benz E-Class to buy this vehicle. Operates like a BMW, which means great performance, but is also very comfortable with plenty of space for trips with my wife, my bicycle, luggage, etc.

My favorite feature is the way it handles.

a little more horsepower and the ABS system is really LOUD, but everything works wonderfully.

Beware the Electronics Demons
By HokieMan

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have been a BMW buyers for over 20
years. This is a good hybrid of a SUV
and a sports car. Interior is
functional and comfortable with only a
few annoying problems. Interior door
handles are coated plastic and had to
be replaced in the first year when
paint peeled. Radio constantly fades
in and out even with local stations.
Gas pedal is too small. Rear leg room
is minimal if tall occupants are in
the front seats. Electronics are
constantly on the blink. Been an
ongoing problem for over a year now.
Dealer can't seem to fix. Brake
warning and service engine lights stay
on all the time. Dealer is 2 hours
away and day-long trips to try and fix
are getting tiresome. Cargo storage is
minimal.

Performance and handling. The "M" emblems I bought on ebay and stuck on the sides and rear to baffle all my friends. They think I'm a BMW secret agent. LOL

Electronics are faulty and will cause you constant anxiety. The electronics are faulty and will cause you constant anxiety. Do I need to say it again??? Finish could be more luxurious inside. Lose the plastic. Cargo room is a joke. If you need to haul stuff, this is not the auto for you!