Used 2002 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

New to the BMW
By arichard

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I recently bought a used 02 X5 4.4, I wished I'd read these articles first. One person said he had problems with the mirror and seat memory -- ditto here. I have wasted time on several trips to the dealer to be told "We can't find a problem." No code found. I can't get a trailer hitch because they're on back order. I cannot get an aftermarket rear entertainment system because no one has any positive experience getting them put in. However, it is a mechanical beast. It is a jack-up sports car and it moves. Some days I think about getting rid of it but when I clean it up, I like it, and other do too.

Handling, power and acceleration. Great looks.

Work on electronic/electrical integrity. In dash CD changer,navigation systems, available accessories that are not on back log. More room in the cargo area would be a plus. Standard Bluetooth technology and standard satellite radio capablities built in. Reasonably priced DVD players.

Best car yet
By Dante Verdi

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned way too many cars, but I enjoy this one by far the best, and I sold a Benz E-Class to buy this vehicle. Operates like a BMW, which means great performance, but is also very comfortable with plenty of space for trips with my wife, my bicycle, luggage, etc.

My favorite feature is the way it handles.

a little more horsepower and the ABS system is really LOUD, but everything works wonderfully.

Beware the Electronics Demons
By HokieMan

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have been a BMW buyers for over 20 years. This is a good hybrid of a SUV and a sports car. Interior is functional and comfortable with only a few annoying problems. Interior door handles are coated plastic and had to be replaced in the first year when paint peeled. Radio constantly fades in and out even with local stations. Gas pedal is too small. Rear leg room is minimal if tall occupants are in the front seats. Electronics are constantly on the blink. Been an ongoing problem for over a year now. Dealer can't seem to fix. Brake warning and service engine lights stay on all the time. Dealer is 2 hours away and day-long trips to try and fix are getting tiresome. Cargo storage is minimal.

Performance and handling. The "M" emblems I bought on ebay and stuck on the sides and rear to baffle all my friends. They think I'm a BMW secret agent. LOL

Electronics are faulty and will cause you constant anxiety. The electronics are faulty and will cause you constant anxiety. Do I need to say it again??? Finish could be more luxurious inside. Lose the plastic. Cargo room is a joke. If you need to haul stuff, this is not the auto for you!

Now to be critical
By Jeffram

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Now for the rest of the story... Sports pkg...Don't ask for a rotation because tires smaller than front. Darn expensive tires with less wear than normal. As a result you get "cupping" which creates road noise after 1/2 life of tire. Electrical...Bulbs go out like crazy. Lost Pixels in the lcd displays had to have element replaced window silinoid (sic)...I have had 2 replaced. You sort of get used to the "gunshot" sound when the windows drop for no reason at all. Won't roll up until silinoid is replaced. Don't plan on getting good service if you live in DFW. There isn't a dealer in Dallas that seems to care about your business. Are you listening Huzanga? or John Roberts?

Hey this is a BMW forget about the loud airconditioning and enjoy the feel of the road! This is a sports car not a luxury vehicle. If you can just afford your payments, this car is not for you! Fast and fun to drive! Great tow vehicle. Long trips? Drive the Lexus LX470

Keep your looks and style. Follow the Japanese on reliablity and Rd noise.

Good Perfermance, poor durability
By performanceplus

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and it was great until the 50k mile warranty expired. That's when onboard computer readout started to go bad... just the start of one big headache. The resale is awful on this car. Also, car had a noise that the dealer was never able to fix. Goes thru the oil, fast. Maybe I just got a lemon.

Good ride, tight steering box. Sturdy. Sharp design.

Get rid of the stupid computer readout, just one more thing to go bad and have to dole the cash out to fix.