2002 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
New to the BMW
By arichard on 01/07/05 06:37 AM (PST)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I recently bought a used 02 X5 4.4, I wished I'd read these articles first. One person said he had problems with the mirror and seat memory -- ditto here. I have wasted time on several trips to the dealer to be told "We can't find a problem." No code found. I can't get a trailer hitch because they're on back order. I cannot get an aftermarket rear entertainment system because no one has any positive experience getting them put in. However, it is a mechanical beast. It is a jack-up sports car and it moves. Some days I think about getting rid of it but when I clean it up, I like it, and other do too.

Best car yet
By Dante Verdi on 01/01/05 17:16 PM (PST)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned way too many cars, but I enjoy this one by far the best, and I sold a Benz E-Class to buy this vehicle. Operates like a BMW, which means great performance, but is also very comfortable with plenty of space for trips with my wife, my bicycle, luggage, etc.

Beware the Electronics Demons
By HokieMan on 10/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have been a BMW buyers for over 20 years. This is a good hybrid of a SUV and a sports car. Interior is functional and comfortable with only a few annoying problems. Interior door handles are coated plastic and had to be replaced in the first year when paint peeled. Radio constantly fades in and out even with local stations. Gas pedal is too small. Rear leg room is minimal if tall occupants are in the front seats. Electronics are constantly on the blink. Been an ongoing problem for over a year now. Dealer can't seem to fix. Brake warning and service engine lights stay on all the time. Dealer is 2 hours away and day-long trips to try and fix are getting tiresome. Cargo storage is minimal.

Now to be critical
By Jeffram on 10/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Now for the rest of the story... Sports pkg...Don't ask for a rotation because tires smaller than front. Darn expensive tires with less wear than normal. As a result you get "cupping" which creates road noise after 1/2 life of tire. Electrical...Bulbs go out like crazy. Lost Pixels in the lcd displays had to have element replaced window silinoid (sic)...I have had 2 replaced. You sort of get used to the "gunshot" sound when the windows drop for no reason at all. Won't roll up until silinoid is replaced. Don't plan on getting good service if you live in DFW. There isn't a dealer in Dallas that seems to care about your business. Are you listening Huzanga? or John Roberts?

Good Perfermance, poor durability
By performanceplus on 09/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and it was great until the 50k mile warranty expired. That's when onboard computer readout started to go bad... just the start of one big headache. The resale is awful on this car. Also, car had a noise that the dealer was never able to fix. Goes thru the oil, fast. Maybe I just got a lemon.

The Bubba Truck
By ToneG on 08/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Been a Ford Chevy man all my life but the wife liked the X5 and to repent for all my fishing and golf trips, and to keep taking them, I reluctantly agreed to buy har an X5. Mistake!!! I'm married to a BMWer Junkie! She loves it and wouldn't have anything else! I too have come to like it more than I'll admit to her. The handling in terrible weather is awsome, and the power is unbelieveable. The brakes are the biggest and best I've ever seen. The car has to be one of the safest ever made.

Best ever
By jkg5 on 08/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Without a doubt, the best car I have ever owned. Great on long trips, in town, etc.

Great SUV
By apparition on 08/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love it. Best handling and most fun to drive SUV ever. I have test almost all of the luxury SUV's on an offroad test track and the BMW performed the best.

Fun to Drive 8.0, Reliability 4.0
By OilManJMC JMC on 07/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My first BMW at 12K ball joints replaced,emergiency brk replaced, radio died-water leaking inside. Never been able to get key to consistantly return seat to memory position. Drivers door frozen most Jan, Feb mornings, crawl in through back. HORRIBLE in snow, only good thing is DSC keeps you from sliding off into the weeds. Rain sensing works erraticly. 44K all new brakes incl front rotors, ball joints rattling again. Interior dr pull finish chipped. Do we really HAVE to agree to legalities EVERY time we start the car to use radio, nav system? Heated seats set to RUMP-ROAST.

Pre-owned - satisfied to date!
By Tsagg on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Shopped for an X5 for months. Didn't want to pay the $50,000 for a brand new so I found a 2002 X5 3.0 with only 17,000 miles on it. Extremely clean, hardly driven car. Have driven about 1,000 miles so far and have loved every minute. This is my second BMW (1997 328is) and they are by far the most amazing DRIVING cars in the world. The X5 lives for 80+ m.p.h. on the highway. 3.0 is plenty peppy off the start with plenty of torque but lacks some power at speed. No big deal though. Read all about the electrical problems in the 2001's which made me stay away from them. Paid $37,250 for a 2002 w/every option but NAVIGATION. (bought 7/10/04) w/17,000 miles