Used 2002 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Convincing my wife
By Norm

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This has been a great, but not troublefree, vehicle. Our first BMW. I had to convince my wife that she would enjoy this SAV. Now I cannot get her out of it. It has never stranded us, but we have gone to our dealer several times answering the "service engine soon" idiot light. This light has alerted us to a loose gas cap AND a bad catalytic converter. Both on the same idiot light. My wife uses automatic. I use manual shifting. It reminds me of my first car--a stick shift way back in the 1950s. Great cornering and passing power.

4.4 liter engine. 5 speed manual/auto optional transmission. The two piece tailgate. Great fit and feel all around. In and out.

A way too small sun visor. We live in the desert and the sun is always getting me from the side. Visor too short when swung around to the side window. More specific warning lights.

Best Sports Car Amongst SUVs
By Ronbo

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

For an SUV this has been a great car for an auto sports enthusiast. Original tires (Michelins) were the worst thing about the vehicle. Once I put on good tires it has handled even better dry/wet/snow and nothing else got worse.

Power and handling.

Switch to a differnt tire. Make interior more ergodynamic. Add more and better placed cup holders.

Better vehicle to be designed yet
By TerminatorX5

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd BMW and 5th in the family. Once you drive a bimmer, you don't want to drive anything else. I got the top of the line X5, fully loaded, OEM navigation, OEM TV, DVD changer, screen in the back, bluetooth, hatch, reverse camera, AV jack in the back, heated seats all around, integrated V1 detector, voice recognition. Mechanically this is not a car, this is a beast; I have pulled 140 MPH on this car, and it did not even shake or rattle. It even felt like it lowered itself to the ground; I know it has automatically adjust ground clearance. I had to back out, as it was too scary. I had driven in many countries, and can't trade a BMW for anything else other than another BMW.

340 stock HP, handling on dry and wet pavement, 20" OEM rims with monster tires, negative camber that helps in tight, high-speed turns, huge vented brakes at 4 corners. Styling is another one - the style is about 7-8 years old, and still turns the heads. The interior is spartan and to the point.

This is gas guzzler. I get about 10-13 MPG city and about 15-18 MPG highway. This is the price of performance. Navigation maps are not available for half of the countries that I drive in. Could benefit from more room in the back seat area and the trunk. Battery in the key is not charged by the car.

BMW X5
By Ted

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Great car runs well, build very good, exterior design the best, interior excellent, mileage good, performance excellent.

Performance ride and style

None

Exceeded my expectations
By mark

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 4.4 V8 as a certified pre owned. It was a prior demo with 21K miles on it. Now I have 54K with nary a problem. Change the oil, fill it with gas and go. And this baby goes, it handles just like a sports car. It is solid and tight. still has the new smell in it, from the ultra luxurious leather. I opted for one WITHOUT the sports package (the ride still is a little on the stiff side) but has everything else. Everything looks and works perfect,every time I detail it the car looks and feels like a brand new car. There is a lot to be said for BMW build quality and enginering. I still have the original tires and changed the brakes only once at 40K miles, unbelievable for a 4400 lb car.

4.4 V8, varooom. DSP (sound system), steering and brake feel are sport car grade. Stunning off road capability. Plenty of large storage pockets. Fold flat rear seats, perfect for hauling sobexs and my soccer practice gear. Also makes a great bed!!!

Do away with the air/adjustable suspention. It is a waste of money, you will never need it.