2002 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews 2

2002 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Convincing my wife
By Norm on 03/27/08 13:23 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This has been a great, but not troublefree, vehicle. Our first BMW. I had to convince my wife that she would enjoy this SAV. Now I cannot get her out of it. It has never stranded us, but we have gone to our dealer several times answering the "service engine soon" idiot light. This light has alerted us to a loose gas cap AND a bad catalytic converter. Both on the same idiot light. My wife uses automatic. I use manual shifting. It reminds me of my first car--a stick shift way back in the 1950s. Great cornering and passing power.

Best Sports Car Amongst SUVs
By Ronbo on 09/06/07 09:20 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

For an SUV this has been a great car for an auto sports enthusiast. Original tires (Michelins) were the worst thing about the vehicle. Once I put on good tires it has handled even better dry/wet/snow and nothing else got worse.

Better vehicle to be designed yet
By TerminatorX5 on 07/19/07 20:35 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd BMW and 5th in the family. Once you drive a bimmer, you don't want to drive anything else. I got the top of the line X5, fully loaded, OEM navigation, OEM TV, DVD changer, screen in the back, bluetooth, hatch, reverse camera, AV jack in the back, heated seats all around, integrated V1 detector, voice recognition. Mechanically this is not a car, this is a beast; I have pulled 140 MPH on this car, and it did not even shake or rattle. It even felt like it lowered itself to the ground; I know it has automatically adjust ground clearance. I had to back out, as it was too scary. I had driven in many countries, and can't trade a BMW for anything else other than another BMW.

BMW X5
By Ted on 02/23/07 15:03 PM (PST)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Great car runs well, build very good, exterior design the best, interior excellent, mileage good, performance excellent.

Exceeded my expectations
By mark on 08/28/06 22:59 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 4.4 V8 as a certified pre owned. It was a prior demo with 21K miles on it. Now I have 54K with nary a problem. Change the oil, fill it with gas and go. And this baby goes, it handles just like a sports car. It is solid and tight. still has the new smell in it, from the ultra luxurious leather. I opted for one WITHOUT the sports package (the ride still is a little on the stiff side) but has everything else. Everything looks and works perfect,every time I detail it the car looks and feels like a brand new car. There is a lot to be said for BMW build quality and enginering. I still have the original tires and changed the brakes only once at 40K miles, unbelievable for a 4400 lb car.

My first bmw
By beckner on 08/01/06 14:25 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Every time I switch cars with my wife and son I realize what a real driving machine this vehicle is - you just have to sit behind the wheel to experience how it performs - it is such a solid well built vehicle.

The truck that drives like a car
By Cid on 07/30/06 18:49 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since day one with this car I've never regretted its purchase. It handles better than any non German car I've ever owned, let alone any other SUV. It's never left me stranded, and has always been a pleasure to drive. That includes two cross country trips with the family.

Fun to drive!
By Dave on 02/06/06 15:15 PM (PST)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Wow. Let me say it again. Wow. At first I thought the interior was a bit gaudy, but I got used to it in about 30 minutes. Most of the controls make sense. Only control I have trouble with is the back hatch -- it's placed underneath an overhang next to the hill decsent and at night you can't see it -- but you can see the hill descent (hint: I don't need to see that at night with the interior lights on). Luxury feel, but sporty ride. Very quick & nimble with very little "float". Accelerates quickly, fantastic headlights, I can actually see the road and the brights are BRIGHT. Windshield washer, computer and everything else makes sense. Accessories galore! Stuff I never thought of!!!

Great SUV
By thstone on 11/26/05 10:46 AM (PST)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) 2002 X5 last year (2004) and after a full year of ownership I can say that this is an awesome car! The 3.0 engine has more than enough power and is silky smooth. The interior is typical BMW - clean, crisp, and functional. I opted for the standard handling package (not the sport package) as the ride with the SP was way too harsh for me and my family. Some people complain about the gas mileage, but I have been averaging around 19 MPG (50/50 city/hwy) which isn't too bad. The CPO warranty saved me around $1000 in repairs (new electric window lifts). Overall, I have been very, very happy with car.

Great SAV...better then Japanese
By qamarmu on 09/03/05 08:59 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was in the market for a month, and test drove x5, fx 35 and rx330 and rx 300. Finally picked up the 02 X5 best bet for the money. Got all the looks and style and performance. Sportronic is great, and my wife can drive it too with autonomic mode. Great stability and ride comfort Exterior styling is more aggressive then rx 300 or Rx 330. Its a great performance handling truck