Used 2002 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Bmw X5 - Consumer Reviews

2002 BMW X5 SUV

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

This luxury SUV stinks big time!
By Hollie

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this car used. The list of problems goes on and on and pretty much resonates what I have read from others so far: Tires have to be replaced every six months due to excessive wear and tear, coolant tank and hoses had to be replaced and the car is still leaking coolant, and best of all, after 100k miles, it needs a new transmission. The cost? $6,000! The X5 has far too many mechanical failures to deal with which ultimately makes this model not worth it in the end.

Favorite Features

Handles like a sports car; the steering is tight. Also has fantastic acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Start over! Something's not right with the mechanical underpinnings of this SUV.

Mechanical Nightmare
By Jeff

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this car with 38K miles and have had it 3 years. It is a great car to drive and has tons of power. Downside, a mechanical nightmare. I had to have new brakes and rotors at 40K miles. Had the cooling expansion tank replaced, both power window motors replaced, door lock cylinder replaced, water pump replaced as well as all hoses and belts since they had it apart. Also had a bad tail light piece replaced, and one CV boot on the front axle replaced. It also wears tires out very quickly because of the negative camber that BMW installs on these things. Worst car I have ever owned mechanically.

Engine Gasket Problem
By Pedro

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased a lightly used 2002 X5 which runs well except When the coolant light came on, $2000 dollars to replace gasket at 70K miles. Watch out BMW not taking responsibility for poor engineering. Found out this is a common problem with all of the 4.4L. BE CAREFUL!! OIL LEAKS TOO. Buy it cheap or stay away - learn from my mistake!

Favorite Features

Good driver

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your product and back up mfg defects.

It's still a BMW
By Josh

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased our X5 to haul a family, and it's definitely an interesting compromise between sport and activity/utility. Agile for an SUV, when you drive it like a BMW, it's rewarding. The 3.0 lacks some punch for a car of this weight, but the mileage and agile handling still make it a good choice. BMW didn't package the X5 as a minivan substitute; it's still lacking the big-gulp capable cup holders and clever use of interior storage of dedicated family haulers, but again, this is a compromise when a driver needs a family car.

Favorite Features

Even standard features are great: HID headlights, rain-sensing wipers, privacy screens in the back, and of course the handling dynamics that put all but the sportiest SUVs (and many cars) to shame

Suggested Improvements

The Germans don't approve of cup-holders, and the X5 is still more driver-focused than comfort-focused. The new models address the 6 cylinder's power need, but it still seems the mileage could be a little better.

Good but not Great
By Hedgy

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have this X5 with Sport Package as a compromise between owning a fast sedan and owning a practical family car. I save on insurance in MA by not having two cars. I have not been disappointed. It will go well over 120 mph when I want and it tows the boat to the cottage a couple times a summer too.

Favorite Features

Acceleration and handling. For an SUV this almost handles like a sedan. Nice interior. Great head and leg room, I am tall, and it has memory steering column, so it is easy to switch back and forth between my wife and me.

Suggested Improvements

Steering with the 4.4i is a bit heavy and isolated feeling from the road. 3.0i feels better, but I wanted the big engine. The X5 could use more cargo space.