Used 2002 BMW X5 3.0i Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

2002 BMW X5

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

The truck that drives like a car
By Cid

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since day one with this car I've never regretted its purchase. It handles better than any non German car I've ever owned, let alone any other SUV. It's never left me stranded, and has always been a pleasure to drive. That includes two cross country trips with the family.

After four years I've yet to hear the familiar rattle so common after only two years in any other vehicle. No shaking in the steering wheel either.

The sun visor doesn't reach all the way to the pillar when turned to the side. Every once in a while, I'll get a little sun in the corner of my eye but now I'm nit-picking ;)

Fun to drive!
By Dave

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Wow. Let me say it again. Wow. At first I thought the interior was a bit gaudy, but I got used to it in about 30 minutes. Most of the controls make sense. Only control I have trouble with is the back hatch -- it's placed underneath an overhang next to the hill decsent and at night you can't see it -- but you can see the hill descent (hint: I don't need to see that at night with the interior lights on). Luxury feel, but sporty ride. Very quick & nimble with very little "float". Accelerates quickly, fantastic headlights, I can actually see the road and the brights are BRIGHT. Windshield washer, computer and everything else makes sense. Accessories galore! Stuff I never thought of!!!

Computer, window shades (smart), comfortable seats, programmable positions, "smart mirrors", finish and attention to detail everywhere. Storage and the thing feels so huge inside. Solid (thunk!) doors, nice sun roof (and I don't like sun roofs usually). Climate control is the 1st I've ever liked.

Plastic woodgrain -- hey, it's plastic. I nice plastic look is better than a fake wood grain. Opening of middle hand rest sortof startles passenger (it's in the way), CD storage is useless), CD player is rather mundane/plain, I don't really like the accelerator stickiness, but it may just be me.

Great SUV
By thstone

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) 2002 X5 last year (2004) and after a full year of ownership I can say that this is an awesome car! The 3.0 engine has more than enough power and is silky smooth. The interior is typical BMW - clean, crisp, and functional. I opted for the standard handling package (not the sport package) as the ride with the SP was way too harsh for me and my family. Some people complain about the gas mileage, but I have been averaging around 19 MPG (50/50 city/hwy) which isn't too bad. The CPO warranty saved me around $1000 in repairs (new electric window lifts). Overall, I have been very, very happy with car.

Fast, quick handling, smooth, very quiet. No rattles or squeaks. High quality. This is my first car with a sun roof and I love it! Everyone really likes the style of this car. Try not to screw it up with the new design for 2007.

Better sound system. Do NOT add third row seating to the next generation car, keep with the performance design - its a BMW not a Ford.

Great SAV...better then Japanese
By qamarmu

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was in the market for a month, and test drove x5, fx 35 and rx330 and rx 300. Finally picked up the 02 X5 best bet for the money. Got all the looks and style and performance. Sportronic is great, and my wife can drive it too with autonomic mode. Great stability and ride comfort Exterior styling is more aggressive then rx 300 or Rx 330. Its a great performance handling truck

Inside is very functional, and got all the packages including leather seats, sunroof, memory seat (great with me and my wife switching), heated seats dual climate control.

rattle sound from the back / rear hatch

Best car yet
By Dante Verdi

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned way too many cars, but I enjoy this one by far the best, and I sold a Benz E-Class to buy this vehicle. Operates like a BMW, which means great performance, but is also very comfortable with plenty of space for trips with my wife, my bicycle, luggage, etc.

My favorite feature is the way it handles.

a little more horsepower and the ABS system is really LOUD, but everything works wonderfully.