Used 2002 BMW X5 3.0i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Fun to drive!
By Dave

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Wow. Let me say it again. Wow. At first I thought the interior was a bit gaudy, but I got used to it in about 30 minutes. Most of the controls make sense. Only control I have trouble with is the back hatch -- it's placed underneath an overhang next to the hill decsent and at night you can't see it -- but you can see the hill descent (hint: I don't need to see that at night with the interior lights on). Luxury feel, but sporty ride. Very quick & nimble with very little "float". Accelerates quickly, fantastic headlights, I can actually see the road and the brights are BRIGHT. Windshield washer, computer and everything else makes sense. Accessories galore! Stuff I never thought of!!!

Favorite Features

Computer, window shades (smart), comfortable seats, programmable positions, "smart mirrors", finish and attention to detail everywhere. Storage and the thing feels so huge inside. Solid (thunk!) doors, nice sun roof (and I don't like sun roofs usually). Climate control is the 1st I've ever liked.

Suggested Improvements

Plastic woodgrain -- hey, it's plastic. I nice plastic look is better than a fake wood grain. Opening of middle hand rest sortof startles passenger (it's in the way), CD storage is useless), CD player is rather mundane/plain, I don't really like the accelerator stickiness, but it may just be me.

Great SUV
By thstone

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) 2002 X5 last year (2004) and after a full year of ownership I can say that this is an awesome car! The 3.0 engine has more than enough power and is silky smooth. The interior is typical BMW - clean, crisp, and functional. I opted for the standard handling package (not the sport package) as the ride with the SP was way too harsh for me and my family. Some people complain about the gas mileage, but I have been averaging around 19 MPG (50/50 city/hwy) which isn't too bad. The CPO warranty saved me around $1000 in repairs (new electric window lifts). Overall, I have been very, very happy with car.

Favorite Features

Fast, quick handling, smooth, very quiet. No rattles or squeaks. High quality. This is my first car with a sun roof and I love it! Everyone really likes the style of this car. Try not to screw it up with the new design for 2007.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound system. Do NOT add third row seating to the next generation car, keep with the performance design - its a BMW not a Ford.

Great SAV...better then Japanese
By qamarmu

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was in the market for a month, and test drove x5, fx 35 and rx330 and rx 300. Finally picked up the 02 X5 best bet for the money. Got all the looks and style and performance. Sportronic is great, and my wife can drive it too with autonomic mode. Great stability and ride comfort Exterior styling is more aggressive then rx 300 or Rx 330. Its a great performance handling truck

Favorite Features

Inside is very functional, and got all the packages including leather seats, sunroof, memory seat (great with me and my wife switching), heated seats dual climate control.

Suggested Improvements

rattle sound from the back / rear hatch

Best car yet
By Dante Verdi

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned way too many cars, but I enjoy this one by far the best, and I sold a Benz E-Class to buy this vehicle. Operates like a BMW, which means great performance, but is also very comfortable with plenty of space for trips with my wife, my bicycle, luggage, etc.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the way it handles.

Suggested Improvements

a little more horsepower and the ABS system is really LOUD, but everything works wonderfully.

Good Perfermance, poor durability
By performanceplus

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and it was great until the 50k mile warranty expired. That's when onboard computer readout started to go bad... just the start of one big headache. The resale is awful on this car. Also, car had a noise that the dealer was never able to fix. Goes thru the oil, fast. Maybe I just got a lemon.

Favorite Features

Good ride, tight steering box. Sturdy. Sharp design.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the stupid computer readout, just one more thing to go bad and have to dole the cash out to fix.