Used 2002 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Bmw X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Very happy with X5 4.6is
By VA BMW Owner

2002 BMW X5 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned a number of BMWs (97 M3, 2000 M5, 2002 745i) and two X5s (2001 4.4i and 2002 4.6is). I liked the 4.4i and I like the 4.6is even better. In fact, I had a 2002 745i that was incredibly unreliable, so I traded it after six months for the 4.6is. Although the X5 is less technologically advanced, I don't regret the trade. The X5 is far more comfortable, more practical, less pretentious, and I enjoy it more. With comfort or sport seat options, the X5 has the most comfortable driving position of any car I've ever driven. It has been very reliable so far.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable driving position, performance, solid build quality with virtually no squeaks or rattles.

Suggested Improvements

**Sport seats should include the adjustable backs from the comfort seats: a perfect combination.** Better sound system, more deeply sculpted/comfortable rear seats (bench seats are too flat), more cargo room, X5 should lose about 500 lbs.

Best Driving SUV on Road
By Pleased as Pie!

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've read through some of the reviews and am very surprised to hear about numerous electrical glitches. I've owned my 3.0 since 7/02 and have put about 11k miles so far. I have not had ONE electrical (or other)problem with the car. Even though the Xs are built in America, it is by no means an American SUV. It is still German driving, through and through. There is no American SUV that can come close to the absolute driving pleasure this car brings. Even with the AWD, the car is deceptively quicker than you think. Have driven other SUVs and this is completely solid at any driving speed. I feel safe and in control in this car. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!

Favorite Features

Handling, safety, styling

Suggested Improvements

Back climate control can get rather load when going at full blast. Small annoyance for an otherwise GREAT SUV!

NoneBetter
By djph

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I cannot imagine driving a better SUV. Aside from the 16mpg I average, the vehicle has no downside. During my first year of ownership the X5 was not a common sight on the street and I had dozens of people ask me about it. Now they have become very common and I can understand why. Mine is powerful, extremely comfortable and incredibly fun to drive. It's also given me a terrific sense of confidence, driving through the snow that was dumpen on the east cost this past weekend.

Favorite Features

I love the way the X5 handles.

Suggested Improvements

Cannot think of one thing I would change.

BMW X5 is a lemon
By hatedx5

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Goes back to dealer monthly for electrical problems

Favorite Features

looks good from outside

Suggested Improvements

put lexus electronics in. THrow away BMW electronics and interior design

My new 02 X5
By tnbldr99

2002 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

After owning several Bmw vehicles, i have finally reached the pinnacle of bmw quality combined with a fun to drive machine. I am very impressed with my X5's power, performance, comfort and off road prowess during the unexpected snow storms we received this year. I will definitely be keeping this vehicle and look forward to getting another new one in 2 or 3 years.

Favorite Features

Seat heaters and Xenon headlights. Very cool.

Suggested Improvements

Would like to see the cargo area increased and possible add an option of making the rear seats able to slide back towards the cargo area to allow more leg room for taller passengers.