2002 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
X5 4.6is Fun, but expensive
By darkside80 on 07/08/12 07:19 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2nd X5 - a 2002 BMW X5 4.6is with 120k miles on it. After two weeks of owning the transmission failed and had to be replaced at a cost of $4k. The dealer wanted $8k to replace, but did work with me on the installation of the rebuilt one I found online. The vehicle is powerful and fun to drive, but I've spoken with other owners who have experienced tranny failure, so this may be a systemic issue. My first X5 was a 2001 3.0 and I did not have any issue with it.

Better vehicle to be designed yet
By TerminatorX5 on 07/19/07 20:35 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd BMW and 5th in the family. Once you drive a bimmer, you don't want to drive anything else. I got the top of the line X5, fully loaded, OEM navigation, OEM TV, DVD changer, screen in the back, bluetooth, hatch, reverse camera, AV jack in the back, heated seats all around, integrated V1 detector, voice recognition. Mechanically this is not a car, this is a beast; I have pulled 140 MPH on this car, and it did not even shake or rattle. It even felt like it lowered itself to the ground; I know it has automatically adjust ground clearance. I had to back out, as it was too scary. I had driven in many countries, and can't trade a BMW for anything else other than another BMW.

2nd and last BMW
By Fred Tramutola on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Fast and good handling as long as the road is bone dry. Slides on wet roads even with anti skid. Snow is the worst. Doors and windows freeze shut in sub freezing weather. Locking system is impossible. Pieces of molding fall off. No where near worth the high cost.

Very happy with X5 4.6is
By VA BMW Owner on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned a number of BMWs (97 M3, 2000 M5, 2002 745i) and two X5s (2001 4.4i and 2002 4.6is). I liked the 4.4i and I like the 4.6is even better. In fact, I had a 2002 745i that was incredibly unreliable, so I traded it after six months for the 4.6is. Although the X5 is less technologically advanced, I don't regret the trade. The X5 is far more comfortable, more practical, less pretentious, and I enjoy it more. With comfort or sport seat options, the X5 has the most comfortable driving position of any car I've ever driven. It has been very reliable so far.

x5 -da best
By X5 fan on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

The structure of the x 5 is incredible, My family and i love this car. the comfort and luxury of this car is awesome.

The best SUV on the market!
By KAK on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

If you can afford to splurge, and have always wanted a tough but civilized car that can hawl a payload then take you to the opera? Really, the X5 is the car to buy. I absolutely love this beauty/beast.

BMW X5
By jwalkovik on 07/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

The X5 holds the road well has excellent pick up and responsive steering. It also has a really stiff suspension. One of the most comfortable things about the X5 is the cabin is abosolutely silent. Driving on the highway at 70 miles an hour you can't hear a thing.

All hail the King
By Yiiiiiiiiiiiio on 07/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

The BMW X5 is probably the most sportiest SUV on the planet. This Suv is beaming with power and excitement. When I ride this car I feel like I'm young again.

The best of the best
By oiul on 07/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This Spot-ute's the best it pampers and gives me thrill that's un imaginable. I love this car.

2002 BMW X5 4.6si
By alik61 on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

The best car I ever driven.