2002 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Don't buy this SUV
By Tony on 07/26/10 16:28 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Few months after driving this car with 42k miles the warning check engine light came on, had to change the whole electrical harness $700 out of my pocket few months later both front axles had to be change $1500 battery sensor $300 fuel tank sensor $300. Finally two years later had to sell it was driving me broke.

The Ulitimate Driving Machine
By Austin Reid on 05/13/10 16:09 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned the BMW X5 for about 2 years now and what can I say is WOW. It is really an Ultimate Driving Machine. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned. But within the first year I had to replace a 4K Transfer Case, a 900 dollar inspection, 1400 dollar brakes, 1100 dollar tires, 600 dollar window regulator, 1200 A/C Compressor. But hey I really love the vehicle and I'm sticking with BMW for Life. Don't set your reliability standards to high because again it is the Ultimate Driving Machine not your typical Ultimate Honda Machine.

It's still a BMW
By Josh on 08/03/09 09:52 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased our X5 to haul a family, and it's definitely an interesting compromise between sport and activity/utility. Agile for an SUV, when you drive it like a BMW, it's rewarding. The 3.0 lacks some punch for a car of this weight, but the mileage and agile handling still make it a good choice. BMW didn't package the X5 as a minivan substitute; it's still lacking the big-gulp capable cup holders and clever use of interior storage of dedicated family haulers, but again, this is a compromise when a driver needs a family car.

My first bmw
By beckner on 08/01/06 14:25 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Every time I switch cars with my wife and son I realize what a real driving machine this vehicle is - you just have to sit behind the wheel to experience how it performs - it is such a solid well built vehicle.

The truck that drives like a car
By Cid on 07/30/06 18:49 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since day one with this car I've never regretted its purchase. It handles better than any non German car I've ever owned, let alone any other SUV. It's never left me stranded, and has always been a pleasure to drive. That includes two cross country trips with the family.

Fun to drive!
By Dave on 02/06/06 15:15 PM (PST)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Wow. Let me say it again. Wow. At first I thought the interior was a bit gaudy, but I got used to it in about 30 minutes. Most of the controls make sense. Only control I have trouble with is the back hatch -- it's placed underneath an overhang next to the hill decsent and at night you can't see it -- but you can see the hill descent (hint: I don't need to see that at night with the interior lights on). Luxury feel, but sporty ride. Very quick & nimble with very little "float". Accelerates quickly, fantastic headlights, I can actually see the road and the brights are BRIGHT. Windshield washer, computer and everything else makes sense. Accessories galore! Stuff I never thought of!!!

Great SUV
By thstone on 11/26/05 10:46 AM (PST)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) 2002 X5 last year (2004) and after a full year of ownership I can say that this is an awesome car! The 3.0 engine has more than enough power and is silky smooth. The interior is typical BMW - clean, crisp, and functional. I opted for the standard handling package (not the sport package) as the ride with the SP was way too harsh for me and my family. Some people complain about the gas mileage, but I have been averaging around 19 MPG (50/50 city/hwy) which isn't too bad. The CPO warranty saved me around $1000 in repairs (new electric window lifts). Overall, I have been very, very happy with car.

Great SAV...better then Japanese
By qamarmu on 09/03/05 08:59 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was in the market for a month, and test drove x5, fx 35 and rx330 and rx 300. Finally picked up the 02 X5 best bet for the money. Got all the looks and style and performance. Sportronic is great, and my wife can drive it too with autonomic mode. Great stability and ride comfort Exterior styling is more aggressive then rx 300 or Rx 330. Its a great performance handling truck

Best car yet
By Dante Verdi on 01/01/05 17:16 PM (PST)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned way too many cars, but I enjoy this one by far the best, and I sold a Benz E-Class to buy this vehicle. Operates like a BMW, which means great performance, but is also very comfortable with plenty of space for trips with my wife, my bicycle, luggage, etc.

Good Perfermance, poor durability
By performanceplus on 09/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and it was great until the 50k mile warranty expired. That's when onboard computer readout started to go bad... just the start of one big headache. The resale is awful on this car. Also, car had a noise that the dealer was never able to fix. Goes thru the oil, fast. Maybe I just got a lemon.