Used 2002 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

X5 4.6is Fun, but expensive
By darkside80

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2nd X5 - a 2002 BMW X5 4.6is with 120k miles on it. After two weeks of owning the transmission failed and had to be replaced at a cost of $4k. The dealer wanted $8k to replace, but did work with me on the installation of the rebuilt one I found online. The vehicle is powerful and fun to drive, but I've spoken with other owners who have experienced tranny failure, so this may be a systemic issue. My first X5 was a 2001 3.0 and I did not have any issue with it.

Handling and performance

Better sound system and transmission

45K Driven on '02 Sport in 5 Years, Just Can't Let it Go
By bimmerbenz

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Having owned 3 consecutive 4.4l BMW from 5 to 7 to X5, I have liked the pwr. pkg. & the 5-series is my fav. Even w/o driving this one much I could never sell the vehicle. Safe and responsive 4800lbs., fun to drive the 4.4l pwr gets the same fuel economy as the 3.0l (so go for the 4.4l). Typical mechanical wear over time. Sport Model wears tires on a staggered 19" wheel (can be altered to matching 255-55-19) with a tight suspension for handling. Offers an addicting drive response w/performance from optionl steptronic if desired, you could probable take the 5-speed to 125MPH in 4th gear, just stealth performance.

Performance, handling, stability @ higher speeds, driver height, safety & solid build. Good acceleration and excellent braking. Parts reasonable and readily available verses Lexus/Toyota. Speed sensitive steering w/dynamic stability. Driving is just fun.

1) Tire wear on staggered Sport Model. 2) Battery under spare in rear compartment. 3) Plastic overflow reservoir design. 4) Requirement of routine oil change service entity to re-set oil change dash monitor with proprietary diagnostics, which most don't purchase, limiting oil change services for dash monitor

Love It, But Wouldn't Buy It Again.
By KAV

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

SAV drives and handles awesome. I've loved it since owning it. It is quick, fast and fun to drive. BUT... it does have its quirks. Speed and weight causes brakes to wear. Electronic issues at times for heat, lights, etc. With 70,000 miles, the real problems have now started (and it looks like I'm not alone). CV boots & front axles had to be replaced. One month later, failed transmission with no warning. Dealer quote for transmission of $8,300 to replace. Although I love this vehicle, research tells me I can expect further serious problems and it is time to get rid of. (Contrast my '92 325i with 150,000 miles and still runs like new.) Now, looking at Porsche Cayenne.

Everything except BMW's quality control. They really got it right with the design, performance and handling.

75,000 miles with failed handling and transmission systems, not to mention the electronic gremlins, is simply unacceptable.

Don't buy this SUV
By Tony

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Few months after driving this car with 42k miles the warning check engine light came on, had to change the whole electrical harness $700 out of my pocket few months later both front axles had to be change $1500 battery sensor $300 fuel tank sensor $300. Finally two years later had to sell it was driving me broke.

nice interior and exterior handle nice like a sports car

don't buy BMW stay with Toyota

The Ulitimate Driving Machine
By Austin Reid

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned the BMW X5 for about 2 years now and what can I say is WOW. It is really an Ultimate Driving Machine. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned. But within the first year I had to replace a 4K Transfer Case, a 900 dollar inspection, 1400 dollar brakes, 1100 dollar tires, 600 dollar window regulator, 1200 A/C Compressor. But hey I really love the vehicle and I'm sticking with BMW for Life. Don't set your reliability standards to high because again it is the Ultimate Driving Machine not your typical Ultimate Honda Machine.

-Leather -Fun to Drive -Great sound from 3.0i engine -Great in silver -Love the Looks -Love the comments people give me - It's a BMW

-Step up the reliability game -Xenons should be standard on a BMW, it gives me a good look and BMW one to