2002 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
X5 4.6is Fun, but expensive
By darkside80 on 07/08/12 07:19 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 2nd X5 - a 2002 BMW X5 4.6is with 120k miles on it. After two weeks of owning the transmission failed and had to be replaced at a cost of $4k. The dealer wanted $8k to replace, but did work with me on the installation of the rebuilt one I found online. The vehicle is powerful and fun to drive, but I've spoken with other owners who have experienced tranny failure, so this may be a systemic issue. My first X5 was a 2001 3.0 and I did not have any issue with it.

45K Driven on '02 Sport in 5 Years, Just Can't Let it Go
By bimmerbenz on 02/04/12 20:59 PM (PST)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Having owned 3 consecutive 4.4l BMW from 5 to 7 to X5, I have liked the pwr. pkg. & the 5-series is my fav. Even w/o driving this one much I could never sell the vehicle. Safe and responsive 4800lbs., fun to drive the 4.4l pwr gets the same fuel economy as the 3.0l (so go for the 4.4l). Typical mechanical wear over time. Sport Model wears tires on a staggered 19" wheel (can be altered to matching 255-55-19) with a tight suspension for handling. Offers an addicting drive response w/performance from optionl steptronic if desired, you could probable take the 5-speed to 125MPH in 4th gear, just stealth performance.

Love It, But Wouldn't Buy It Again.
By KAV on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

SAV drives and handles awesome. I've loved it since owning it. It is quick, fast and fun to drive. BUT... it does have its quirks. Speed and weight causes brakes to wear. Electronic issues at times for heat, lights, etc. With 70,000 miles, the real problems have now started (and it looks like I'm not alone). CV boots & front axles had to be replaced. One month later, failed transmission with no warning. Dealer quote for transmission of $8,300 to replace. Although I love this vehicle, research tells me I can expect further serious problems and it is time to get rid of. (Contrast my '92 325i with 150,000 miles and still runs like new.) Now, looking at Porsche Cayenne.

Don't buy this SUV
By Tony on 07/26/10 16:28 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Few months after driving this car with 42k miles the warning check engine light came on, had to change the whole electrical harness $700 out of my pocket few months later both front axles had to be change $1500 battery sensor $300 fuel tank sensor $300. Finally two years later had to sell it was driving me broke.

The Ulitimate Driving Machine
By Austin Reid on 05/13/10 16:09 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned the BMW X5 for about 2 years now and what can I say is WOW. It is really an Ultimate Driving Machine. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned. But within the first year I had to replace a 4K Transfer Case, a 900 dollar inspection, 1400 dollar brakes, 1100 dollar tires, 600 dollar window regulator, 1200 A/C Compressor. But hey I really love the vehicle and I'm sticking with BMW for Life. Don't set your reliability standards to high because again it is the Ultimate Driving Machine not your typical Ultimate Honda Machine.

This luxury SUV stinks big time!
By Hollie on 02/09/10 14:19 PM (PST)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this car used. The list of problems goes on and on and pretty much resonates what I have read from others so far: Tires have to be replaced every six months due to excessive wear and tear, coolant tank and hoses had to be replaced and the car is still leaking coolant, and best of all, after 100k miles, it needs a new transmission. The cost? $6,000! The X5 has far too many mechanical failures to deal with which ultimately makes this model not worth it in the end.

Mechanical Nightmare
By Jeff on 10/23/09 19:30 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this car with 38K miles and have had it 3 years. It is a great car to drive and has tons of power. Downside, a mechanical nightmare. I had to have new brakes and rotors at 40K miles. Had the cooling expansion tank replaced, both power window motors replaced, door lock cylinder replaced, water pump replaced as well as all hoses and belts since they had it apart. Also had a bad tail light piece replaced, and one CV boot on the front axle replaced. It also wears tires out very quickly because of the negative camber that BMW installs on these things. Worst car I have ever owned mechanically.

Engine Gasket Problem
By Pedro on 09/03/09 11:59 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased a lightly used 2002 X5 which runs well except When the coolant light came on, $2000 dollars to replace gasket at 70K miles. Watch out BMW not taking responsibility for poor engineering. Found out this is a common problem with all of the 4.4L. BE CAREFUL!! OIL LEAKS TOO. Buy it cheap or stay away - learn from my mistake!

It's still a BMW
By Josh on 08/03/09 09:52 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased our X5 to haul a family, and it's definitely an interesting compromise between sport and activity/utility. Agile for an SUV, when you drive it like a BMW, it's rewarding. The 3.0 lacks some punch for a car of this weight, but the mileage and agile handling still make it a good choice. BMW didn't package the X5 as a minivan substitute; it's still lacking the big-gulp capable cup holders and clever use of interior storage of dedicated family haulers, but again, this is a compromise when a driver needs a family car.

Good but not Great
By Hedgy on 12/23/08 16:41 PM (PST)

2002 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have this X5 with Sport Package as a compromise between owning a fast sedan and owning a practical family car. I save on insurance in MA by not having two cars. I have not been disappointed. It will go well over 120 mph when I want and it tows the boat to the cottage a couple times a summer too.