Used 2002 BMW X5 3.0i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Don't buy this SUV
By Tony

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Few months after driving this car with 42k miles the warning check engine light came on, had to change the whole electrical harness $700 out of my pocket few months later both front axles had to be change $1500 battery sensor $300 fuel tank sensor $300. Finally two years later had to sell it was driving me broke.

Favorite Features

nice interior and exterior handle nice like a sports car

Suggested Improvements

don't buy BMW stay with Toyota

The Ulitimate Driving Machine
By Austin Reid

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned the BMW X5 for about 2 years now and what can I say is WOW. It is really an Ultimate Driving Machine. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned. But within the first year I had to replace a 4K Transfer Case, a 900 dollar inspection, 1400 dollar brakes, 1100 dollar tires, 600 dollar window regulator, 1200 A/C Compressor. But hey I really love the vehicle and I'm sticking with BMW for Life. Don't set your reliability standards to high because again it is the Ultimate Driving Machine not your typical Ultimate Honda Machine.

Favorite Features

-Leather -Fun to Drive -Great sound from 3.0i engine -Great in silver -Love the Looks -Love the comments people give me - It's a BMW

Suggested Improvements

-Step up the reliability game -Xenons should be standard on a BMW, it gives me a good look and BMW one to

It's still a BMW
By Josh

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased our X5 to haul a family, and it's definitely an interesting compromise between sport and activity/utility. Agile for an SUV, when you drive it like a BMW, it's rewarding. The 3.0 lacks some punch for a car of this weight, but the mileage and agile handling still make it a good choice. BMW didn't package the X5 as a minivan substitute; it's still lacking the big-gulp capable cup holders and clever use of interior storage of dedicated family haulers, but again, this is a compromise when a driver needs a family car.

Favorite Features

Even standard features are great: HID headlights, rain-sensing wipers, privacy screens in the back, and of course the handling dynamics that put all but the sportiest SUVs (and many cars) to shame

Suggested Improvements

The Germans don't approve of cup-holders, and the X5 is still more driver-focused than comfort-focused. The new models address the 6 cylinder's power need, but it still seems the mileage could be a little better.

My first bmw
By beckner

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Every time I switch cars with my wife and son I realize what a real driving machine this vehicle is - you just have to sit behind the wheel to experience how it performs - it is such a solid well built vehicle.

Favorite Features

The seats - the driver's cockpit and the feel of the drive.

The truck that drives like a car
By Cid

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since day one with this car I've never regretted its purchase. It handles better than any non German car I've ever owned, let alone any other SUV. It's never left me stranded, and has always been a pleasure to drive. That includes two cross country trips with the family.

Favorite Features

After four years I've yet to hear the familiar rattle so common after only two years in any other vehicle. No shaking in the steering wheel either.

Suggested Improvements

The sun visor doesn't reach all the way to the pillar when turned to the side. Every once in a while, I'll get a little sun in the corner of my eye but now I'm nit-picking ;)