Used 2002 BMW X5 3.0i Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

BMW - The ultimate Money Pit - Bee Emm TroubleYou
By A. Goncalves

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased 2002 BMW X5 back in early 2012 with 85K on the odometer. One owner vehicle. It's been a long and sad 4 years. Currently at 122K.
List of issues: Instrument cluster was pixelated, used "BMW's good faith" one time repair to fix it. From then on, it's one thing after another. Poor tire reliability, need to replace tires every other year (every 10K or so) even after having the alignment done multiple times and buying quality tires. 2 window regulators replaced. Inside drivers door handle broke, fixed it, 2 weeks later, outside door handle broke, same door. Factory radio stopped working, replaced with aftermarket Kenwood head unit w/Navigation. Power Steering reservior cracked and leaking, had to replace it. Now it gets fun....

Transmission and transfer case literally blew chunks all over the highway at around 105K miles, paid 5 grand to fix it. Then had to replace tie rods and other misc. suspension parts. Temp sensor and thermostat failed, had to replace those along with water pump. Currently in the shop to replace manifold parts due to Service Engine Soon light. I know it's an older vehicle and repairs would be frequent, but I was under the impression that a fine German automaker like BMW would be rock solid, but stupid little things like the door handles breaking? Oh, and the engine burns a quart of oil ever 1200 miles or so, they say it's normal....really? I have heard to never own a German vehicle out of warranty/above 60K miles, I can now see why.

Yeah I know....but It's my wife's vehicle and she loves driving it, hence why I dumped so much money into it to keep her happy. When it runs, it's quick, has a lot of room and the ride is very nice. The leather interior is great, but mechanically it's just falling apart. I have owned various Toyota and Nissan vehicles and they never had issues like this... My 14 year old Corolla only needed a Starter in the entire time of ownership.

Will never, ever buy another BMW again.

Don't buy this SUV
By Tony

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Few months after driving this car with 42k miles the warning check engine light came on, had to change the whole electrical harness $700 out of my pocket few months later both front axles had to be change $1500 battery sensor $300 fuel tank sensor $300. Finally two years later had to sell it was driving me broke.

nice interior and exterior handle nice like a sports car

don't buy BMW stay with Toyota

The Ulitimate Driving Machine
By Austin Reid

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned the BMW X5 for about 2 years now and what can I say is WOW. It is really an Ultimate Driving Machine. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned. But within the first year I had to replace a 4K Transfer Case, a 900 dollar inspection, 1400 dollar brakes, 1100 dollar tires, 600 dollar window regulator, 1200 A/C Compressor. But hey I really love the vehicle and I'm sticking with BMW for Life. Don't set your reliability standards to high because again it is the Ultimate Driving Machine not your typical Ultimate Honda Machine.

-Leather -Fun to Drive -Great sound from 3.0i engine -Great in silver -Love the Looks -Love the comments people give me - It's a BMW

-Step up the reliability game -Xenons should be standard on a BMW, it gives me a good look and BMW one to

It's still a BMW
By Josh

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased our X5 to haul a family, and it's definitely an interesting compromise between sport and activity/utility. Agile for an SUV, when you drive it like a BMW, it's rewarding. The 3.0 lacks some punch for a car of this weight, but the mileage and agile handling still make it a good choice. BMW didn't package the X5 as a minivan substitute; it's still lacking the big-gulp capable cup holders and clever use of interior storage of dedicated family haulers, but again, this is a compromise when a driver needs a family car.

Even standard features are great: HID headlights, rain-sensing wipers, privacy screens in the back, and of course the handling dynamics that put all but the sportiest SUVs (and many cars) to shame

The Germans don't approve of cup-holders, and the X5 is still more driver-focused than comfort-focused. The new models address the 6 cylinder's power need, but it still seems the mileage could be a little better.

My first bmw
By beckner

2002 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Every time I switch cars with my wife and son I realize what a real driving machine this vehicle is - you just have to sit behind the wheel to experience how it performs - it is such a solid well built vehicle.

The seats - the driver's cockpit and the feel of the drive.