Used 2001 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Great vehicle after 15K
By Big tires

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it as a Certified Preowned with 25K on it. It is the most desirable SUV in its class. After several road trips with a baby, we like its safety features, ability to get places quickly and decent fuel mileage. There are some electrical gremlins that I can not duplicate for the dealer that only happen 20% of the time.

Favorite Features

Transmission is the smoothest and most "read your mind" operating unit that I have ever driven. It makes my Dad's RX300 feel like a Ford. Steering at any road speed is well weighted and precise. Much better than any other SUV on the market.

Suggested Improvements

Some plastic interior parts seem cheap. Rear heat and air controls are just a "vent" with a fan speed.

MercedesML Vs. BMW X5
By Brianthebroker

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The best thing I ever did was trading my 2000 ML430 for an X5 3.0 liter. The ML is the WORST CAR I have ever owned, it spent more time in the shop than I drove it. After owning the X5 for several months I have had not one problem with it. It is the best driving SUV in its class. Also it looks the best too. Its like a tank driving in the rain and a 5 series on dry pavement. The V6 BMW has more power than my V8 4.3 liter Mercedes. Oh yeah, it uses less gas than the ML as well. I've already decided in 2005 I will be leasing another one. TRULY THE BEST SUV....

Favorite Features

Drive handling, quiet cabin, radio, instrument cluster lights in red, comfort, and the jealous look on everyones face as I speed by them in the snow!!!

Suggested Improvements

I know everyone says this, but the only improvement on the X5 should be larger cup holders. AS it is I can only fit one coffee, the passenger has to hold theirs. When is the X7 coming out??

X5 Review
By Al2002

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle will do anything that a SUV is suppose to do. Its priced similar to the Chevy Tahoe and yet drives like a sports car. I really like mine.

THE SUV OF DREAMS
By MUKA97

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

OVERALL THIS IS THE BEST SUV I HAVE EVER DRIVEN COMPARED TO ALL THE HIGHLINE SUV.

Favorite Features

EVERYTHING

Suggested Improvements

NEED MORE CARGO SPACE, AND THE SOUND SYSTEM NEEDS MORE BASE

X-5 4.4i
By Addy

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have had the X-5 for 2 months and the driver side window had to be repaired. The coolant warning keeps coming up although the BMW dealership says there is nothing wrong. Also had to get knob for the radio controls changed. Car is still under warranty so was covered for everything. Will probably get anxious when the warranty runs out in a couple of months.

Favorite Features

Undoubtley a superb thrilling experience to drive it. Will take on most of the cars on the road. Greeaaat power. Love driving it everyday. I have the 4.4i sport package with the 19inch wheels so handles great. Rock solid feeling.

Suggested Improvements

Overall a great SUV. Eventhough have made 3 trips to the BMW dealership, would still have bought it again.