Used 2001 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Love My BMW
By GNASBMW

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the best car I have ever owned. I love to drive it. It goes so fast! It makes me feel like a race car driver. It is beautiful too. The only thing I would change if given the chance is the lack of a drink holder. There is one but it is really small. It is right in the center, behind the gear shift. It has a lid and use that compartment for storage of loose change.

Favorite Features

Woodgrain trim, leather seats, acceleration is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

Only drink holders.

Love my X5!!
By nubian02

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased a Certified Pre Owned X5, and I must say that I have only one regret. This car does not have the cargo space that I would have really needed. But the ride, the fuel efficiency, and the quality of the service that I receive when I go to the dealer has me hooked on BMW for life!

Favorite Features

It goes!

Suggested Improvements

Improve Cargo space!

Windows
By Daljinder

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Looks great but I am having a problem with it. 3 of the 4 windows has already stoped working and fixed. The cooling system got all messed up on the highway. I have to get it towed. Water pump, radiator, hoses, builts etc were shot. It cost me over $1800. They are telling me that it has a problem of overheating....what..? It seems that my SUV is in the shop every month. I lost a confidence in the car. Any one having a problem like this or it was just my luck..?

Favorite Features

It drives steady when runs...

Suggested Improvements

You spend so much money to treat yourself with BMW...there shouldn't be that many expensive repairs so soon..

3 and out
By short term

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Awesome car but it is time to go. I have loved owning and driving the X5 4.4i but it is time to go. After 3 yrs and 37m miles...I have a number of recurring problems. I have been in the shop 6 times this year and i am currently waiting for another service apointment. The electrical system is horrible and I feel like I am always on the verge of the next disaster. It is a wonderful car to drive...but I would wait until BMW gets a better grasp on the electrical problems.

Favorite Features

V8 makes the car a blast to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Very unreliable after 30m miles. Poor storage. Front cup holders are useless and poorly placed. Metallic finish on inside door handles flaked off in the 1st year. Electrical system is a disaster.

BMW World
By mneal

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the bmw and was in love from the first time i rocketed away. The pick and top speed of (234 km/h) was great and this is the 3.0 liter. the braking is EXCELLENT and the turning great too! Overall you think you are in a sports car and the handling is stiff and reactionary. If you want a mean machine that can get you here to there in style and comfort then this is the year and the model to get , better on gas then the 4.4 and 4.6, 4.8 aswell. Holds its price too!

Favorite Features

overall car and back up tilting mirrors to see the curb

Suggested Improvements

better response on the manual transmission gearing