2001 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
well worth the money
By edmunds user on 05/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The best car i have ever had ,such a fun car to drive , safe , comfortable, chic,the best suv of all

An out performed vehicle with poor rest
By Bliu on 05/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Its performance is rated at best compare to the other cars I've driven. The handling is awsome. It's a beautiful car from the outside, but terrible from the inside. There are lack of gadgets and toys compare to the Japanese vehicles. However, since I bought this car, I had to take a day off work at least once every other months to take it back to the dealership for service. My window broke 3 times. It doesn't roll up and down. The light gets burned out. The fuse burned out. I can give you a long list, but you get the idea. So if you are willing to deal with the problems just so that you can have an out performed car, than this car is for you.

2001 BMW X5 3.0I Excellent Ve
By X5Man on 04/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my X5 for over 1 year. In my opinion, the vehicle has excellent handling in heavy rain as well as dry pavement. The car has precision steering and is very stable under emergency turns and maneuvering specially at high speeds; much more stable than the Chevy Tahoe, Grand Cherokee & Explorer. The seats are very comfortable and the cabin is quite both attributes induce less fatigue during long trips.

Happy Camper
By #1 SUV on 04/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I own the 4.4 and love this SAV. The power is incredible and it handles great. If you look at the specs of the 2003 Range Rover you will see it's a larger X5 4.4. The door locks keep malfunctioning and the navigation system isn't worth the money but this truck is so much fun to drive.

We must've been lucky...
By LOVE MY X5 on 03/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We've now had our X5 for almost 2 years. We love it! I'm not sure what the others, including Consumer Reports, are talking about with all of their problems. Since we've had our car, it has NEVER been in the shop for any problems except for service maintenance (knock on wood). We love the the power of the 3.0 and the gas mileage (around 450mi to the tank). It's a great car to drive and being ranked #1 in safety keeps me at rest in a world with some irresponsible drivers. I agree with all the positive comments in the other posted messages (no need to repeat what has already been said).

V8 s/b more fun
By ciaomingming on 03/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

great vehicle. wish it is as powerful as the v8, especially with its fuel economy.

2001 BMW X5 3.0
By larryone on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Handling and build quality are the most outstanding features of this vehicle. Aside from the limited space aft and poor AM/FM radio, the X5 exudes a sense being sure footed and coveys confidence in its ability to cope with any all-road conditions, be it ice, snow, standing rain, etc. The most stable , best handling vehicle in the catagory that we have owned, (Jeep Grand Cheroke, Ford Explorer, Pathfinder SE).

Poor quality from BMW
By PoorQualityX5 on 03/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Though I love the handling and performance of the X5, the quality and reliability have been TERRIBLE. We have documented 27 issues with this car in less than 2 years and with only 15K miles on it. It has been in for repairs 10 times. Some issues are small, such as the paint peeling from the door handles, the window motor sensors not working, and the key memory failing. But we've had at least 4 major issues with the coolant system and starter which rendered it undriveable. All of this on a car for which we paid $60K! Our $25K 2001 Tahoe has been in the shop exactly 1 time in the same time period. Which is the better value?

I WANT MY MONEY BACK
By primoFOODS on 02/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

LOVE THE LOOK AND FEEL OF THE CAR. LOT OF FUN TO DRIVE, I LIKE IT AS MUCH AS MY 911. BUT THE CAR IS IN THE SHOP EVERYOTHER WEEK. IT HAS BEEN IN FOR SMALL PROBLEMS AND FOR LARGE ONES, SUCH AS IT DOES NOT START UNTILL THE 3RD TRY AND PARK AVE BMW (WORST SERVICE DEPT EVER) CAN NOT FIX IT. THE NAVIGATION SCREEN GOES BLANK AND SOMETIMES THE BLINKERS STOP WORKING FOR A WHILE AND COME BACK ON. AND THAT IS JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG. BUY SOMETHING ELSE!!!

It doesn't get any better
By Dave Jensen on 01/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The looks of this vehicle alone, both inside and out, sold me up front. Then I drove it and it is really an awesome machine!