Used 2001 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Bmw X5 - Consumer Reviews

2001 BMW X5

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Dinan Package is a Blast!!
By Seekrr

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this X5 4.4 used, with 28K mi. and the Dinan package (throttle body, exhaust, 19" rims, etc) from an AZ reseller. Whoever traded this truck in was nuts! This one's for keeps. Performance is BMW-esque, suspension firm, but not harsh, and handling outshines most sports cars. And the Dinan package puts it in a league of its own. A note of caution: max out on an extended warranty. It will pay for itself. They just don't make 'em like they used to. Speaker grilles fall off, cup holders fail to close, electronic gremlins that you just learn to live with. If you live in good terrain where the roads are long, you'll love it for all the right reasons.

Favorite Features

Dinan Package spells Performance Distinctive Looks Precise Handling

Suggested Improvements

Get that non-ergonomic (but great sounding) radio and other electronics (like PDC) to be more reliable. I get frustrated in having to bring the vehicle in for such minor repairs. And why does every part have to be dealer- bought? My wipers don't perform right unless I purchase BMW blades!

THE X5 ROCKS!!!!!!
By tom

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

We have a black on black x5 with every option 4.4L and we love it. The x5 has perfect crash scores, performance, technology, comfort, and a lot more. The x5 is the sportiest and best out of the bunch.

Favorite Features

Navigation,memory chip in the keys.......... EverythING!!!!

Suggested Improvements

the 6-disk cd changer should be in dash.

Bulletproof Bavarian
By Rod

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The X5 is, by far, the best vehicle I have ever owned. It still turns heads, runs like a top, and corners like it's on rails. The only thing I can say that's bad about this vehicle is that the user interface on the navigation system is atrocious, and the CD changer is in the cargo area. If I'm picking nits to this degree, you can see that I'm grasping at straws. I wind up negotiating with my S.O. about who gets to drive it.

Favorite Features

Fast, solid, comfortable, spacious, agile, hot looks.

Suggested Improvements

Rob the nav system from Land Rover's LR3. Typical european brakes require frequent wheel cleaning due to brake dust.

X5 Performance
By Shawn

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had an excellent experience owning my third BMW. The X5 has been great in performance as a sports SUV as well as a work horse SUV. I consistantly tow a 3800lb boat and drive in the rockies. The 3.0L has been reliable and trouble free. It had a few recalls in '02 but they were fixed quickly. Over all a 9.5 out of ten.

Favorite Features

Sun-roof function; radio/electronics panel.

Suggested Improvements

Windshield wiper blades are only okay.

Judy's BMW
By Joe Ogburn

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the vehicle new in 2001 and ordered the special Mahogany metalic paint. My wife is the main driver and she loves it. It is powerful and agile and handles like a automobile. We have had a little problem with the electrical in the lights. The front side lamps and the back tail lights seem to have a problem. Other than that we are very satisfied.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, V-8 engine,The Mahogany metalic color,the handleing and ride. The safety features are a plus.

Suggested Improvements

The electrical system needs improving. I can't see any fault with the vehicle.