2001 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
BMW X5 "Pinto in a 3 piece suit"
By av8r07 on 02/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

What do you get from BMW's latest 50K+ SUV? I think of it as a Pinto in a 3 piece suit. Looks great, fun to drive but an absolute junker in terms of quality and reliability, not to mention some of the worste customer service I have ever experienced. BMW USA has proven to be horrible in terms of customer service and apparently have no problem leaving thier customer's literally out in the cold. If your looking to drop 50K on an SUV don't

CPO 2001 X5 for the wife
By swsms on 02/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it for Valentine's Day and she loves it!! A little rougher ride coming from a '97 Acura RL but the handling, acceleration, and sound system are awesome. This is the only SUV my wife liked that doesn't make her feel like 'soccor mom'! So far, I've just noticed a rattle in the driver's door and in the rear climate control unit, but overall I am inpressed with the solid feel of the X5. We've test driven multiple MDXs and have not felt as secure. With the CPO warranty and lots of prayer, I hope to limit my trips to the dealer for service.

Electrical gremlins
By BrittB on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Our 2001 4.4 X5 is the "Ultimate driving machine". We love everything about it except... It has electrical gremlins in it. The dash warning lights come on and off all the time, indicating the need to check rear and brake lights. We take it to the dealership, they replace what is broken, if the check lights are actually still on when we get to the dealership and we go home. Some time a few days later, it happens again.. Check rear lights etc... Consumer reports rates the 2001's electrical system very poor. Newer models are much improved.

Speed, fun and comfort !!
By tonymontana on 02/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Yes they have electrical glitches, but the car has to be good for all of us to still keep it eventhough that fact. Rides and drives almost like a 540i with cargo room for the 6' lumber I bought at Home Depot. Plus it pulls my 20' Boat with no problem. Build quality is execelent. These vehicles are used on the road, and if thats your case this is an excelent SUV. Speed, fun and comfort!

Disappointed!
By Unhappy X5 Owner on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased a 2001 X5 3.0 and it came with the pre-owned certification. Sold my Grand Cherokee and bought this and have total regrets. X5 only had 23000 miles when purchased and it has been back to the shop 3 times in the last month. Many little mechanical and electrical things wrong with the car. Fortunately Classic BMW in Mentor, Ohio has been fantastic and has fixed everything with no problems, but I wish I took my $35k and bought a new Volvo or Acura. Do your homework before you buy this car! Read the reviews, the problems people are having are real!

70k and love it
By hlgilbert on 11/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

No problems in 70k miles. Solid, well built truck. Wonderful vehicle. Not a lot of room in the rear.

X5 - A problem waiting to happen
By clubber1964 on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

X5 is great to drive, handles great at 80 mph. Build quality is terrible for a vehicle in this price bracket. Too many recalls to mention. BMW service has become poor. BMW needs to get back and correct their customer service.

3 Years of Mostly Fun
By AML_BMW on 10/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After 3yrs of driving, experience has been mostly good. Fun to drive, decent fuel economy. Biggest problem has been window lifts! Every lift has been replaced once, driver door twice. Have been told by dealer this is a weak point in a number of BMW products. Other problems have been peeling door handles, gas tank sensors. Dealer has been great, taking care of us. Thinking hard as to whether to lease another one. Window lifts are biggest concern to us on an otherwise good experience.

Needs more space
By Sebastian on 09/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car needs more trunk space

X5 3.0
By ibnu on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

BMW X5 ROCKS.. This SAV is much better than the Lexus. Mercedes, or Acura.