Used 2001 BMW X5 3.0i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Love my X5!!
By nubian02

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased a Certified Pre Owned X5, and I must say that I have only one regret. This car does not have the cargo space that I would have really needed. But the ride, the fuel efficiency, and the quality of the service that I receive when I go to the dealer has me hooked on BMW for life!

Favorite Features

It goes!

Suggested Improvements

Improve Cargo space!

Windows
By Daljinder

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Looks great but I am having a problem with it. 3 of the 4 windows has already stoped working and fixed. The cooling system got all messed up on the highway. I have to get it towed. Water pump, radiator, hoses, builts etc were shot. It cost me over $1800. They are telling me that it has a problem of overheating....what..? It seems that my SUV is in the shop every month. I lost a confidence in the car. Any one having a problem like this or it was just my luck..?

Favorite Features

It drives steady when runs...

Suggested Improvements

You spend so much money to treat yourself with BMW...there shouldn't be that many expensive repairs so soon..

BMW World
By mneal

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the bmw and was in love from the first time i rocketed away. The pick and top speed of (234 km/h) was great and this is the 3.0 liter. the braking is EXCELLENT and the turning great too! Overall you think you are in a sports car and the handling is stiff and reactionary. If you want a mean machine that can get you here to there in style and comfort then this is the year and the model to get , better on gas then the 4.4 and 4.6, 4.8 aswell. Holds its price too!

Favorite Features

overall car and back up tilting mirrors to see the curb

Suggested Improvements

better response on the manual transmission gearing

Great vehicle after 15K
By Big tires

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it as a Certified Preowned with 25K on it. It is the most desirable SUV in its class. After several road trips with a baby, we like its safety features, ability to get places quickly and decent fuel mileage. There are some electrical gremlins that I can not duplicate for the dealer that only happen 20% of the time.

Favorite Features

Transmission is the smoothest and most "read your mind" operating unit that I have ever driven. It makes my Dad's RX300 feel like a Ford. Steering at any road speed is well weighted and precise. Much better than any other SUV on the market.

Suggested Improvements

Some plastic interior parts seem cheap. Rear heat and air controls are just a "vent" with a fan speed.

MercedesML Vs. BMW X5
By Brianthebroker

2001 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The best thing I ever did was trading my 2000 ML430 for an X5 3.0 liter. The ML is the WORST CAR I have ever owned, it spent more time in the shop than I drove it. After owning the X5 for several months I have had not one problem with it. It is the best driving SUV in its class. Also it looks the best too. Its like a tank driving in the rain and a 5 series on dry pavement. The V6 BMW has more power than my V8 4.3 liter Mercedes. Oh yeah, it uses less gas than the ML as well. I've already decided in 2005 I will be leasing another one. TRULY THE BEST SUV....

Favorite Features

Drive handling, quiet cabin, radio, instrument cluster lights in red, comfort, and the jealous look on everyones face as I speed by them in the snow!!!

Suggested Improvements

I know everyone says this, but the only improvement on the X5 should be larger cup holders. AS it is I can only fit one coffee, the passenger has to hold theirs. When is the X7 coming out??