Used 2001 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

My X5
By 2001 BMW X5

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have enjoyed this vehicle immensely since first day of ownership. Had electronic-engine trouble at 50,000 miles which eventually required a $1500 repair. Now have 90,000 miles with no additional problems. Expect to own and drive for another 60,000. Vehicle is extremely smooth and versatile.

Driver controls and info. Extreme responsiveness in steering, acceleration, and braking. Rear seat room and comfort.

Lumbar support. Double sun visors.

Read before you buy
By CRJ Driver

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I do not own this car any more. This was the car that made me switch brands for good. I am like most of you. I don't mind paying as long as I get my money's worth. I did not. Reliability is a big issue with me. I have had it until it went out of warranty, only owner, always kept up with the services, 11 pages of records from day one. Little things, dead battery, window regulators, Nav screen, abs sensors, vacuum leaks (intake manifold) MAF sensor, self leveling rear suspension sensors, A/C sensor, oil separator, among other things. Other than that, fun car to drive when not in shop. Well built, smooth engine but the fear of something going wrong anytime overshadows the driving experience.

It would have been a good compromise between power and practicality had it been more reliable. A lot more reliable. Most of us come from the sports car market have a family now and don't like the idea of the minivan. Too bad this wasn't the car for me.

First and Last
By German Enginering

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

What can I say, besides the typical maintenance which needs to be performed at 60k, this car is a tank. Lots of room, classy look and performance to please any driver. I've test driven MB, Infiniti, VW, Audi, and even GM. All seem nice but what BMW has done here, no one else has done. Handling is the first you will notice after you drive the rest. Then comes the power and performance this SUV has. You think that BMW states 290 hp. Think again. I've taken 540s with my eyes closed. Some people just underestimate this SUV. Get this car and do the problematic maintenance that it needs around 60k and you will never regret it.

Engine sound and performance. Looks, and handling.

Better interior door handles, they tend to peel. And transmission info. What is it with this "Life Time" fluid? I just don't get why it is ok to never change the fluid. Other then that, great car for the money..

BMW X5
By Evan

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

It's a cool car. I've had many SUVs before, and this X5 is best I've ever driven. Really sticks to the ground

Bluetooth Technology.

If only it has more power.

Love my X
By Brad

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Had for almost two years, it's been a great car. Sporty and fun to drive, practical enough for trips to the home depot, yet comfortable and luxurious enough to take on long trips. Exterior looks great; interior is luxurious and comfortable. The car has one problem; it will ruin most all other cars for you. You will get used to many of the bells and whistles found in this car that others donít offer, for example the heated steering wheel, how did I ever live in Minnesota without it. Traction control and the all wheel drive make this a wonderful winter vehicle. MPG 18 city 23 highway.

Heated steering wheel, Xenon lights, traction control, and rain sensing wipers.

Changing from the factory tires to a higher end tire make a wonderful difference in the already good ride and handling. Know door handle issue not covered by the manufacturer is a bummer on this Bimmer.

• SUV